F/BR - Do we really need to talk about "what makes us human?" (1 Viewer)

onedaysnotice

HSC
I guess I'm just lazy, but I've already written over 920 words without a conclusion, so I'm afraid that I'll run out of time in the exam

So do we really need to talk about it? I was just appending it to my essay just then, but I was wondering whether or not to just scrap it altogether. It's not as overtly related to their contexts as others so I'd imagine that the others would take precedence. Your opinions?

deswa1

HSC
What is your essay about? I've always viewed the nature of humanity as being one of the fundamental concerns of both Frankenstein and Bladerunner.

Demise

HSC
What context do you guys link "what it means to be human" to?

cheepy5

HSC
I didnt
but i did question if the Replicants were really more human than human since Roy saved Deckard and the Replicants show greater emotions

onedaysnotice

HSC
That is exactly what I was wondering. It really is just question commonly posed by both F and BR imo. :S

What is your essay about? I've always viewed the nature of humanity as being one of the fundamental concerns of both Frankenstein and Bladerunner.
I've kept my essay based on how their contexts influence the way they represent the destructive nature of science and man's insatiable desire to attain power. I hope I'm doing this shit right. xD

Last edited:

Rawf

HSC
Erm.. idk if its necessary but I'm doing what it means to be human and the consequences of scientific development
I think that's what majority of students are doing, but you might be able to stand out if you have a better idea.

Demise

HSC
That is exactly what I was wondering. It really is just question commonly posed by both F and BR imo. :S
The context I stated was:
Shelley: the enlightenment revolution and increased focus on scientific advancement posed the notion of what is really human?
Ridley: Phillip K Dick's text, "Do robots dream of android sheep?" was of great concern to Ridley as it highlighted the questioning of what it means to be truly human.

Demise

HSC
Its a universal notion that persists throughout time
^ Great response, easy to discuss in your essay.

Erm.. idk if its necessary but I'm doing what it means to be human and the consequences of scientific development
I think that's what majority of students are doing, but you might be able to stand out if you have a better idea.
You'll need more themes, wouldn't you? I'm going in with 6. :3

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
I have three main themes in mine. Nature, Technology and Humanity vs Monstrosity

Demise

HSC
6? What on earth... how can you squish so much into an essay? how many words is yours?
I have arguments for all 6, but when I get the question I use 3 - I usually integrate a 4th one into one of my arguments, in the end I'll have 3 arguments (2 paragraphs for each argument, one for BR, one for FR).

Some themes:
Role of the father
Playing God
What it means to be human
How far one will go to achieve their ambition
Impact of science and technology
Subjugation of women

All those themes let me discuss context, literary/filmic techniques and content of the story.

clarg

HSC
I link Frankenstein's questioning of human identity as a contextual warning against straying from Romantic principles, and as a backlash against Enlightenment Age reasoning.

I link Blade Runner's questioning of human identity as a warning against developing technology without any thought for morality - i.e. as was the case with the Hydrogen Bomb, predictions of cloning ETC.

Hope that helped.

Edit: BTW I think it helps if you make this under the topic heading of 'Reversal of Archetypal Roles', i.e. Victor is the villain, the monster is the hero ETC.

Last edited:

onedaysnotice

HSC
The context I stated was:
Shelley: the enlightenment revolution and increased focus on scientific advancement posed the notion of what is really human?
Ridley: Phillip K Dick's text, "Do robots dream of android sheep?" was of great concern to Ridley as it highlighted the questioning of what it means to be truly human.
I completely forgot about "do robots dream of android sheep?" xD Fehk, now you've persuaded me to continue writing about it Dx Oh well, the more prepared the better I guess. Frkn headache TT^TT

Demise

HSC
I link Frankenstein's questioning of human identity as a contextual warning against straying from Romantic principles, and as a backlash against Enlightenment Age reasoning.

I link Blade Runner's questioning of human identity as a warning against developing technology without any thought for morality - i.e. as was the case with the Hydrogen Bomb, predictions of cloning ETC.

Hope that helped.
<3 - I like the notion you brought up about romantic qualities, since I do discuss Shelley's affiliation with the romantic movement significantly.

I completely forgot about "do robots dream of android sheep?" xD Fehk, now you've persuaded me to continue writing about it Dx Oh well, the more prepared the better I guess. Frkn headache TT^TT
You're aiming for the same course as me, so if we both get in, next year you're buying me lunch. :p

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
6? What on earth... how can you squish so much into an essay? how many words is yours?
This. Unless your paragraphs are like 100/150 words each, which wouln't be enough to develop a strong argument imo, I just explore 3 themes at most, my paragraphs are 300 words each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)