F**k Camden is stupid Part II: The Proposed Islamic Cemetery (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
AN ISLAMIC cemetery will be built in the grounds of a historic Anglican graveyard near Camden where plans for an Islamic school were rejected this year following fierce community opposition.

The Lebanese Muslim Association paid $1.5 million for the St Thomas Anglican Cemetery at Narellan in July. The site has space for almost 4000 bodies and will help overcome an acute shortage of gravesites in Sydney.

The prospectus for the An-Nur Islamic Cemetery and Burial Ground, obtained by the Herald, shows the cemetery will have capacity for 1900 single plots or 3800 double plots and would be able to cater for the needs of the growing Muslim community in Sydney's south-west for 10 to 15 years.

But the sale has angered locals fiercely protective of the heritage values of the cemetery and who say the Anglican Church should never have sold it.

Len English has 33 relatives buried at the cemetery and mowed it until the church sold it to a funeral firm headed by William Cole in 2004.

"The first record of burials [goes] back to 1839 and there were burials there before that," Mr English said. "The bullock teams used to stop over at Narellan on their way from Sydney to Camden and further south-west and that's where they would bury their dead.

"The Friends of St Thomas did all they could to save the cemetery and even approached council to see if they could help in the purchase of the site from the Anglican church. The church had no right to sell the cemetery land in the first place.

"I'm going in to see the local member, if not the Mayor of Camden. My heritage is up there: my grandfather and grandmother, my parents, my brother and uncles. Our family goes back 200 years in the district. They came to Camden Park and stayed there.

"I've got nothing against migrants but when they want to take over your cemetery …"

Even so, the Muslim association president, Shawky Kassir, said he did not expect a repeat of the uproar that followed the Quranic Society's application to build a school at nearby Cawdor.

Mr Kassir said he believed the public would accept the need for the Muslim community to bury its dead and cemeteries were a "well mannered" development. He pledged to protect existing graves.

Only Rookwood Cemetery offers a dedicated area for Muslims but it is fast running out of space.

The prospectus bills the new cemetery as accessible to Sydney and Campbelltown via the M5 and Hume Highway and was "set in picturesque rural surrounds" that offered a "peaceful ambience for respectful reflection in a unique setting not found in many other inner-city facilities".

A spokesman for Sydney Anglicans said the site was sold to Camden Valley Funerals, headed by funeral directors William and Christine Cole, in 2004 for $90,000.

"The Anglican diocese sold in good faith to the only people to express an interest in the purchase of the land."

Mr Cole told the Herald he had offered to sell the site to local heritage interests but they had told him they did not have the money. He had used the cemetery for several burials but had decided not to proceed with his plans for the site due to family issues.

The new buyers had promised the cemetery would be divided into Protestant and Muslim sections, all burial reservations would be honoured and the cemetery well cared for, Mr Cole said.

The cemetery was listed as a heritage item on the Camden Local Environment Plan and existing graves could not be demolished or altered without council approval. The heritage listing means the owner has to address heritage concerns when developing the lands.

Camden Council said it had not been told of any proposals for the site but the new owners would not need to make a development application for a burial site.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cemetery-over-camdens-dead-body/2008/09/24/1222217331341.html

The protesters are coming out, yet again. :)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
im still anti school, but fuck these bogan retards. just leave the muslim alone. fucking oath.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
"I've got nothing against migrants but when they want to take over your cemetery …"
what are migrants allowed to take over in this country ?
:rofl:

E

Empyrean444

What a bunch of idiots! Burying Muslims in this necropolis is somehow going to defile Camden's heritage and the sanctity of the dead?
An interesting irony: we've been here for 200 years, our huge heritage; Aboriginal people were there for thousands of years - didn't stop the people of Camden burying their dead there.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^Because we either slaughtered them or removed them by force, you stupid ignorant fuck.

Dora Explorer

HSC
I believe that since the Anglican Church has sold their land for a Muslim cemetery ground then that should be it. If the Anglican Church had not wanted Muslims to be buried in their cemetery then they shouldn't have sold it; but it just turns out they did. If people are opposed to this, well there's nothing you can do about it but conform. Let's face it, when it comes to money people will do anything.

Garygaz

HSC
Well we understand that the whole thing is a whole bunch of anti-muslim tension in a bogan district, but why haven't the Muslims given up yet? I mean, personally, if I was trying to do something and was subjected to mass discrimination I would sue, then pack up and leave, not continue to get the shit kicked outta me by a bunch of intolerant bogans.

Felix Jones

HSC
who here thinks Camden is either an intellectual wasteland full of drunks, or the media is playing on these issues too much?

i prefer the former. but do not deny the latter.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Garygaz said:
Well we understand that the whole thing is a whole bunch of anti-muslim tension in a bogan district, but why haven't the Muslims given up yet? I mean, personally, if I was trying to do something and was subjected to mass discrimination I would sue, then pack up and leave, not continue to get the shit kicked outta me by a bunch of intolerant bogans.
i think the muslims should keep proposing progressively more harmless things

as it just proves all the bogans' arguments are bs and they're just plain racist :D

"protest against islamic ice cream shop"

Garygaz

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
i think the muslims should keep proposing progressively more harmless things

as it just proves all the bogans' arguments are bs and they're just plain racist :D

"protest against islamic ice cream shop"
I guess so, but I wouldn't want to stay in a community where I was going to be hated. That's what they have to deal with if they want to fixate themselves there, hatred and hypocrisy. I can guarantee, if the graveyard was built, the townspeople would graffiti and defecate on them in any way possible, just listen to how irrational and angry they are. It's a lose-lose situation, but that's life.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Garygaz said:
I guess so, but I wouldn't want to stay in a community where I was going to be hated. That's what they have to deal with if they want to fixate themselves there, hatred and hypocrisy. I can guarantee, if the graveyard was built, the townspeople would graffiti and defecate on them in any way possible, just listen to how irrational and angry they are. It's a lose-lose situation, but that's life.
+1 i have to agree with you 100%.

but what i don't understand is that Camden is very close to Campbelltown. Campbelltown is not 100% white but there are quite a few eithnic communities around there. how can Camden, a town just up the road from Campbelltown be so secluded from the rest of sydney?

Anyways, bogans will always be bogans. i bet half those fucktards cant even spell ‘beauty’ or’ island’. lol, and they still call themselves "aussies". They should dig a grave and die. These Camden bogans are such an embarrassment; funny thing is they aren’t even ashamed of themselves. pfft.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
but what i don't understand is that Camden is very close to Campbelltown. Campbelltown is not 100% white but there are quite a few eithnic communities around there. how can Camden, a town just up the road from Campbelltown be so secluded from the rest of sydney?
it's not?

PEOPLE SHOULD VENTURE OUT FURTHER WEST THAN DA BRIDGE

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Stupid camden, what are they gonna do about it? What CAN they do about it? NOTHING! Anglicans sold it to the muslims, the deal is done, far out!
But still, why are the muslims still pursueing camden? Why would they even wanna be near a place filled with islamophobic bogans? I guess cemetary spaces arent everywhere..

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Stupid camden, what are they gonna do about it? What CAN they do about it? NOTHING! Anglicans sold it to the muslims, the deal is done, far out!
But still, why are the muslims still pursueing camden? Why would they even wanna be near a place filled with islamophobic bogans? I guess cemetary spaces arent everywhere..
testing their strength

if they can take camden, surely no other suburb will be able to resist

EDIT: except maybe Picton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)