F2F exams vs real UMAT (1 Viewer)

angrygeorge

HSC
Hey guys just a curious question:

Is an average of 75% raw mark a good score for the F2F online exams?

Dream Meteor

HSC
Its okay. You'd probably be looking at around 180 raw score I think.

angrygeorge

HSC
ahk thankyou, would you happen to have an idea of what that would be as a percentile say for 2009 or 2008? thanks

Fly Kite

HSC
got 70% in F2F mock, approximately what percentile and raw would that be?
& whats the prospects of getting unsw med with that if u get alright for the interview and atar?

pacman911

HSC
got 70% in F2F mock, approximately what percentile and raw would that be?
& whats the prospects of getting unsw med with that if u get alright for the interview and atar?
I did the F2F mock as well, got 66%, but I still got quite a while to improve haha. your score would translate to about 168 when compared to the actual UMAT, which is an alright score. The ATAR you would need with a score of 168 would hover around 99.5 (in order to get the interview at UNSW). Keep practicing ! :)

----
percentiles vary, you get emailed your percentile dont you?
havnt got mine yet haha

Dream Meteor

HSC
ahk thankyou, would you happen to have an idea of what that would be as a percentile say for 2009 or 2008? thanks
Well a raw score of 180 is roughly 92 - 94 percentile in the actual UMAT I think. But the thing is, you've got take into consideration that they've increased the number of questions in sections 2 and 3 so these numbers may change this year.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
From my experience f2f papers aren't prepared well. What I mean by that is that they are probable easier than the actual UMAT. I did MEDENTRY papers and they by far had the closest resemblance to the actual UMAT. F2F on the other hand I found to be generally easier and also contained more mistakes. Medentry I was hitting scores around 80% and managed a 94% percentile score for UMAT. More information can be found here www.hscguide.net since they permit discussion of prep courses.

angrygeorge

HSC
I just wanted to ask which one which prep courses (out of F2F and medentry) resemble the actual umat more in terms of sections. Medentry section 3 is a lot harder than F2F and has a lot more pick the middle questions, is the actual umat similar to that?

Also i heard that if you go really well in one sections that can boost your percentile a lot. Is this true? and if so how good would you have to go (approximately)?

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
UMAT percentile score is based on the average of each section. Percentile scores resemble a sideways cubic graph. It's possible to boost your percentile marks by doing well in any of the sections. If you score 80 50 50 you will receive the same percentile as scoring 50 80 50 and 50 50 80. If you want more information as I said I've linked you the website. People will be more inclined to help you there.
However do note some unis might have their own way of determining UMAT scores counting section 1 2x as section 2 and 3 but it varies from uni to uni. Most unis just take the average of all three sections.

Last edited:

Dream Meteor

HSC
UMAT percentile score is based on the average of each section. Percentile scores resemble a sideways cubic graph. It's possible to boost your percentile marks by doing well in any of the sections. If you score 80 50 50 you will receive the same percentile as scoring 50 80 50 and 50 50 80. If you want more information as I said I've linked you the website. People will be more inclined to help you there.
However do note some unis might have their own way of determining UMAT scores counting section 1 2x as section 2 and 3 but it varies from uni to uni. Most unis just take the average of all three sections.
Hmmm not sure I'd agree that one's overall percentile in the UMAT is the average of the three sections. One of my friend's got an AVERAGE percentile of 79 but her OVERALL percentile is 87. But then she sat the UMAT in 2007 so they might have changed it since then.

My understanding was that they look at everyone's total raw score, and then work out each person's overall percentile.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
Maybe they work out individual percentile scores from each section and then work out the final percentile. I always thought they worked it out based on the average but maybe it has changed over the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)