Fail 2 unit or pass general? any1 know any good tutors? (1 Viewer)

omniscientbeing

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone I was just wondering whether its worth staying in 2 unit maths if I'm [FONT=&quot]barely passing my exams, or should I drop to general maths where I may have the potential [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]get a better mark? Which is better? Does 2 unit scale up? How does the scaling work in either maths? Does anyone know of any good 2 unit maths tutors, like experienced teachers? Cause I've been searching for a good tutor but I instead get people who are good at maths but are unable to EXPLAIN/ TEACH it. Anyone able to recommend anyone good? Or offer any advicce. I'm so behind in maths 2unit that I don't know whether its worth trying to catch up or just drop but I don't want to later regret it... any ideas anyone?
[/FONT]

P

pLuvia

Scaling won't be in your favour if you are failing, you would rather be in a passing subject than a failing subject.

Regarding tutors, have you tried looking in the Tutoring Forums?

My opinion if you are failing in Maths 2u and you would think you will do better in General I would say drop to General that way you could get a better mark, although it scales quite low do well in it and scaling won't affect you much. Where as if you failing in Maths 2u scaling won't have a positive effect on you

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
omniscientbeing said:
Hey everyone I was just wondering whether its worth staying in 2 unit maths if I'm [FONT=&quot]barely passing my exams, or should I drop to general maths where I may have the potential [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]get a better mark? Which is better? Does 2 unit scale up? How does the scaling work in either maths? Does anyone know of any good 2 unit maths tutors, like experienced teachers? Cause I've been searching for a good tutor but I instead get people who are good at maths but are unable to EXPLAIN/ TEACH it. Anyone able to recommend anyone good? Or offer any advicce. I'm so behind in maths 2unit that I don't know whether its worth trying to catch up or just drop but I don't want to later regret it... any ideas anyone?
[/FONT]
I doubt you can drop Maths 2 Unit in the beginning of the HSC Course if you don't have enough units, or if you plan to do 2 Unit next year think about it.
If you fail every single topic in the beginning of the Maths course (i.e Basic Arithmetic and Algebra), I strongly advise dropping to General Maths.

sly_skittle

HSC
I'd drop down to general. I did mathematics until yr12 and my marks were about 70% but I had to study heaps. I dropped down to general and without studying was able to get in the 90s.
The scaling for general maths isn't too bad- if you get in the high 80s and 90s you can still get a UAI of 95+ easy
An 88 in general is way better than a 45 in mathematics.- people who were failing in mathematics got marks in the high 80s and low 90s
If your doing more than 10 units and need maths for uni then I would stick with mathematics but only if you know that you will go better in all the other units- if not general would be the way to go because you would be getting high marks and have a lot more time to study for your other subjects.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
drop to general if u really just cant handle 2u (or if u really dont want to try anymore..) but keep in mind that general maths will mean disadvantage in many uni courses - assuming that u'r aiming for an entry

omniscientbeing

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
Scaling won't be in your favour if you are failing, you would rather be in a passing subject than a failing subject.

Regarding tutors, have you tried looking in the Tutoring Forums?

My opinion if you are failing in Maths 2u and you would think you will do better in General I would say drop to General that way you could get a better mark, although it scales quite low do well in it and scaling won't affect you much. Where as if you failing in Maths 2u scaling won't have a positive effect on you
no, where are the tutoring Forums?

omniscientbeing

HSC
N/A
Thanks 4 the advice everyone. Like I'm going alright in my other subjects and i've had a tutor b4 in like yr 9 and was able to get mid 90's (part of my i'm in 2unit I guess, misjudged my ability lol.) and I know if I work real hard I get get 70's but is a 70's in 2 unit worth more than high 80's or low 90's in general? and is it worth working at it?

HSC
Trust me its a better option to keep 2 unit then drop down. I was getting an average of 68-70 internally and my overall maths mark ended up being 80.

If u do the hard yards now itll pay off. And anyways when you go to uni they expect a minimum understanding of 2 unit mathematics, so even if you dont go great youll have some background knowledge of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)