• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Fail Assessment for being unprepared? (1 Viewer)

therobfather

HSC
I am studying first year graphic design at Tafe.
I am currently in class, and our teacher is giving us a surprise assessment for this lesson. We need to use photos we took in our last class to complete this assessment, and we fail if we dont complete it. Can we actually be failed when we werent even instructed to bring such photographs? Can we be given a "surprise" assessment?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Hope you went ok. The teacher should have given you a "Student Assessment Guide" for the course and for each and every unit you are enrolled in. In the SAG it will outline how you will be assessed (e.g. portfolio, exams, quiz, weekly tasks etc). You should of signed a piece of paper (SAG receipt) saying you received these documents. If you never got this piece of paper (or it wasn't clear enough) and your teacher did fail you, by all means contact the head teacher to explain the situation. It is part of TAFE's RTO accreditation process that you should be informed of how and when (generally speaking i.e. each week or at the end) you will be assessed. On the other hand, the teacher may have not prepared well for the class (i.e. newbie teacher) or perhaps was using scare tactics (not exactly ethical) to get some people to do more work. Having said all that, if you fail an assessment, you usually will be given an opportunity to re-sit the assessment (even a practical one) as everyone has a bad day once in a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)