Failed english exam (1 Viewer)

jmlet

HSC
N/A
I recently got back my results for english listening task and i didn't pass. I am 100% sure i am last for adv english. I got 6/15 like what even is this shit. Haven't got my essay back but i am pretty sure i failed that as well. I am literally afraid of hsc because i'm not confident in my english skills and my entire atar will drop.
Although the bright side is that im rank 1st in 2U maths, ext 1 maths and i feel confident in ext2 maths

I dont even know what to do :( like i'm literally speechless of my results. I just have no clue about english. like no matter how hard i try to study for english it just doesnt seem to pay off. when i sit for the test my mind just enters blank mode (*although i do answer all the question...mainly retell...)
The course i want to do in uni requires a band 5 in english (no clue how i'm gonna get that with my score)
I've done tutoring for english but i just can't apply the skills during the test

need some real english advice here. is it best for me to drop down to standard?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
In terms of is it best for you to drop to standard... you have to consider the odds will dramatically decrease of you getting a B6 but if you're only after a B5 then okay but just keep in mind the standard of your classmates in standard. Will you be too distracted? Is the std teacher shit? If you're not in the top ranks, can you rely on the marks of your peers? Consider these before dropping.

But also, what course are you looking at?

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
^ Probs an education course. If your looking at an Education course in maths/science then you can always pick science (maths major) 1st year then transfer second year

leehuan

HSC
I have a gut instinct that most people who want to get into education do not have any intention on going through a transfer process.

@OP: Whilst mcchicken is here however, she is really good at English so you can probably grab bag some tips out of her if you clearly explain your situation and show her your responses etc.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I have a gut instinct that most people who want to get into education do not have any intention on going through a transfer process.

@OP: Whilst mcchicken is here however, she is really good at English so you can probably grab bag some tips out of her if you clearly explain your situation and show her your responses etc.
Awwww :jump:

Haha but yeah OP feel free to explain your sitch in more detail and I'll try and help

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I failed my first english assessment, and nearly ended up with a band 6.

You still have an significant time frame to improve, and seek feedback/hand in essays etc to your english teacher.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I failed my first english assessment, and nearly ended up with a band 6.

You still have an significant time frame to improve, and seek feedback/hand in essays etc to your english teacher.
Yes that's very important! Don't under-utilise your most valuable resource - the person who is getting paid to help you succeed!

jmlet

HSC
N/A
In terms of is it best for you to drop to standard... you have to consider the odds will dramatically decrease of you getting a B6 but if you're only after a B5 then okay but just keep in mind the standard of your classmates in standard. Will you be too distracted? Is the std teacher shit? If you're not in the top ranks, can you rely on the marks of your peers? Consider these before dropping.

But also, what course are you looking at?

comparing adv to standard... advance cohort is really strong.. too strong. No one in my class got lower than 10. 2/3 of the cohort got 13+. Even standard students got over half mark but only 1 person got 14/15. Both of the standard teachers dont write on the board (i feel like i learn the best when teachers write on the board) instead we sit and try to write with the speed of her voice (which also is what we do in advclass which i honestly hate). in uni i want to do primary education HAHAHA

^ Probs an education course. If your looking at an Education course in maths/science then you can always pick science (maths major) 1st year then transfer second year
If i dont manage to get B5 in english and i do a some math major... can i still transfer in the second year to primary education? Like even without b5?

Awwww :jump:

Haha but yeah OP feel free to explain your sitch in more detail and I'll try and help
During test i always seem to be retelling everything and just blabber on and on non stop with a quote. My paragraphs dont flow (you probably notice by my 'try hard flow' LOL) but i just cant seem to make it flow and i'm quite repetitive in words. to sum it up i think my vocabulary list is limited and also when i read text at school i don't seem to understand it :\ I read my book 2 times and also read the summary and analysis but just doesnt seem to get in my mind.
Yeah... i'm really speechless when it comes to english

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
The teachers dictate the notes to you guys? I don't like the sound of that lol

Also hi-5 I'm doing teaching too :) but secondary

Yeah I'm pretty sure you don't need a Band 5, there are definitely loop holes like transferring or doing some form of bridging course or whatever

Sounds like you need to be more succinct in your responses - this will both improve the quality of your writing whilst also freeing up more of your time which is important in exam conditions. (Trust me, Paper 2 = rekt)
When you're at home try writing some practice responses and then go over them and cross out what you know is repetitive/unnecessary and just get into the habit of double-checking your work to weed out wasteful sentences and stuff. Hopefully with time you'll be able to do this automatically in your mind as you write, not after :)

As for understanding texts... have you tried reading one chapter then reading that chapter's analysis/sparknotes, then reading chapter two and chapter two's analysis, and so forth? It might help you to not get ideas mixed up I guess.

And imo growing your vocabulary is all about the reading. Once I was really busy and didn't read at all for two months and I could just feel my vocab shrink lol it was awful. So when you're not busy with required reading for school, maybe read things that are a bit simpler or that you know you enjoy? May I recommend Harry Potter? They're not overly complex and the first few are quite quick reads.

leehuan

HSC

Yeah I'm pretty sure you don't need a Band 5, there are definitely loop holes like transferring or doing some form of bridging course or whatever

Sounds like you need to be more succinct in your responses - this will both improve the quality of your writing whilst also freeing up more of your time which is important in exam conditions. (Trust me, Paper 2 = rekt)
When you're at home try writing some practice responses and then go over them and cross out what you know is repetitive/unnecessary and just get into the habit of double-checking your work to weed out wasteful sentences and stuff. Hopefully with time you'll be able to do this automatically in your mind as you write, not after :)

As for understanding texts... have you tried reading one chapter then reading that chapter's analysis/sparknotes, then reading chapter two and chapter two's analysis, and so forth? It might help you to not get ideas mixed up I guess.

And imo growing your vocabulary is all about the reading. Once I was really busy and didn't read at all for two months and I could just feel my vocab shrink lol it was awful. So when you're not busy with required reading for school, maybe read things that are a bit simpler or that you know you enjoy? May I recommend Harry Potter? They're not overly complex and the first few are quite quick reads.
Sorry, but, ditto.

They want you to put in your OWN informed judgments.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
i was ranked last 10 out of 100 ppl in yr 11 1st semester but after i got a tutor to help me edit my writing and shiz my rank ended up in the middle lol ik it's not a great rank, yea so the point is get a tut (maybe you want a diff tutor at this point, i changed my tut ~5 times in one year) to mark your writing. You'll start to get the hang of it (sort of), i'm still shit at english but less shitty compared to 1st sem :spin:

Last edited:

jmlet

HSC
N/A

In year 11 i literally used 3 pages of my book. It was just some structure essay scaffold
i read one chapter at a time and read the analysis. I only understand books when there's a movie to it LOL

Thankyou for the advice :) i'll try read the first book of harry potter (i remember reading the first page of deathly hallows, not good lol. was the biggest struggle of my life hahhahaha)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Hm. Okay. First off, whilst English is generally something the top ranks are natural at or have been working on attaining and practising those skills over several years, I'm sure the only way to improve from a 6/15 to a 10/15 IMO is to honestly do this:

1. Bring your assessment task to your English teacher and really sit down with him/her.
What you want to do here is to consciously identify the areas you are not doing well or completely missing out in your writing.
I also recommend having a red pen to jot down and circle areas.
This should then be reviewed again at home (I assume this is an essay for AOS. so you will need that essay once again in the external exam) --> Try write your essay again, using the essay you didn't do well in and apply the tips and tricks you need to improve your writing that you identified earlier.
Then bring it back to your teacher for "re-marking" and feedback

2. Read other people's essays and try identify how they set their thesis, TEE and the type of language they use
I use to do this in Year 9/10 and write down words I never knew and eventually learnt their meaning so they became part of my vocabulary

leehuan

HSC
Keep in mind though OP's first task was a listening task. You might want to fully understand the situation first.

jmlet

HSC
N/A
i was ranked last 10 out of 100 ppl in yr 11 1st semester but after i got a tutor to help me edit my writing and shiz my rank ended up in the middle lol ik it's not a great rank, yea so the point is get a tut (maybe you want a diff tutor at this point, i changed my tut ~5 times in one year) to mark your writing. You'll start to get the hang of it (sort of), i'm still shit at english but less shitty compared to 1st sem :spin:
I've had 3 english tutors in one term LOL... dont know my english life. But man, thats an achievment from bottom 10 to the middle. Those are my goals LOL
lets do this together :3 YEAH!

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Keep in mind though OP's first task was a listening task. You might want to fully understand the situation first.
OH SHIT, REALLY? I JUST READ IT AS AN ESSAY.

OP: Yeah well, fuck. Listening task is over and you'll never do one again. If you, in general, do fine in essay writing, don't let the listening task bother you.
IMO, listening is THE hardest.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I've had 3 english tutors in one term LOL... dont know my english life. But man, thats an achievment from bottom 10 to the middle. Those are my goals LOL
lets do this together :3 YEAH!
Dw bruh I f33ls u about engrish, just one more year then we will never touch that shit again. Just hope I can maintain my middle rank to the end :/

OP: Yeah well, fuck. Listening task is over and you'll never do one again. If you, in general, do fine in essay writing, don't let the listening task bother you.
lol gg I read it as well essay too (sorry op i have a tendency to skip over words while im reading lel)and yea it's just listening, you do it once and never again

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

jmlet

HSC
N/A

i wish we went to the same school so i could have someone feel my pain :((( everyone was like "this is the most easiest test" meanwhile i'm just chillin in class T^T

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)