Failing a unit/s! (1 Viewer)

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Hi everyone. So end of semester exams just happened and for me the exams were harder than I expected, with one in particular even though it was multiple choice, destroyed me. I'm afraid that I probably failed the unit after that exam. I now know that getting a distinction average is harder than it is... My question is this, if I were to repeat the unit say if I failed, does it totally wreck my gpa if I were to ever transfer internally in Sydney, as my aim was to go for BSci/Com combined degree. A lot of people are saying I'll never be able to transfer again, get employed or take up another unit again, and are also saying that I might need to transfer unis to remove my transcript! All for just (possibly) failing one unit or two (that is if worst comes to worst). What do you guys think as I am really stressing atm..

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
when you fail the unit, it means you need to do it again if it is a part of your degree requirements. You cannot continue with courses that have that as a prerequisite.

your failed unit is included in your GPA/WAM so it does rekt it

thedemonpk3r

HSC
when you fail the unit, it means you need to do it again if it is a part of your degree requirements. You cannot continue with courses that have that as a prerequisite.

your failed unit is included in your GPA/WAM so it does rekt it
Does it destroy the gpa or wam a lot, and is it so severe that I'll never have a chance of getting my way back up?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on how bad you failed and how well you did in your other subjects.
pretty much this

if you fail by one mark then not as bad as failing by 30 marks and if you HD everything else, you can still get a decent GPA/WAM

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Depends on how bad you failed and how well you did in your other subjects.
Say I was to average out distinctions in the future, (I'm very well capable of doing so), would I still be able to transfer internally? Or even get a job? I'm taking about a mere fail probably by one point

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Say I was to average out distinctions in the future, (I'm very well capable of doing so), would I still be able to transfer internally? Or even get a job? I'm taking about a mere fail probably by one point
yes

I failed a unit in 1st year and I am trying to get my WAM up

It's getting there

it's not the end of the world

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What everyone else has said, pretty much. Also, I hate to be negative, but from what i've seen people who fail a subject in first semester typically go on to fail more - unless they change their mindset in some way or decide what they are studying isnt for them.

There's no point running away from your transcript if you aren't going to put in the effort you require to pass/do well in subjects. A few years ago there was a user on this forum who had a shocking semester and would constantly talk about offsetting it with distinctions and high distinctions the next semester and/or transferring universities. That happened for a few semesters before he stopped posting, not sure if he called it quits or finally stopped running away and setting goals for the semester that he wouldnt achieve.

A failed subject is definitely a blemish on your transcript, but one or two isnt going to make a huge difference to your WAM/GPA in the end - there's so many opportunities to offset it with better marks in subsequent subjects. An employer will probably have questions about the failed subject, but you can just tell them the truth - you underestimated the difficulty at first but learnt from that mistake as evidenced by your results in the other semesters.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
no (but I could if I wanted to)

not much

Physics 1A (PHYS1121)
So you think there's still hope... I mean I didn't expect the final exam to be that hard and it's not of my nature to make excuses let alone fail..
What everyone else has said, pretty much. Also, I hate to be negative, but from what i've seen people who fail a subject in first semester typically go on to fail more - unless they change their mindset in some way or decide what they are studying isnt for them.

There's no point running away from your transcript if you aren't going to put in the effort you require to pass/do well in subjects. A few years ago there was a user on this forum who had a shocking semester and would constantly talk about offsetting it with distinctions and high distinctions the next semester and/or transferring universities. That happened for a few semesters before he stopped posting, not sure if he called it quits or finally stopped running away and setting goals for the semester that he wouldnt achieve.

A failed subject is definitely a blemish on your transcript, but one or two isnt going to make a huge difference to your WAM/GPA in the end - there's so many opportunities to offset it with better marks in subsequent subjects. An employer will probably have questions about the failed subject, but you can just tell them the truth - you underestimated the difficulty at first but learnt from that mistake as evidenced by your results in the other semesters.
Well thanks Brent for your worthy post, and you taking the time to give me your input.. But I'm not the type of person who will continually fail units.. Unlike these user you speak of who sounds really ridiculous to myself, I don't see myself taking a turn for the worse any where near in the future letting just one unit get in the way.. But all I'm saying is I may fail. I tend to underestimate myself always anyways.. But the question is will it debilitate my chances of ever transferring, getting a job or just uni in general?

rope

HSC
N/A
Similar situation here...I was wondering if i fail my business subject and repeat it again in Semester 2/Summer Term will I have to pay an additional tuition fee for that subject? If there is an additional fee will I be able to put the failed course fee on HECS?

Thanks!
$1,283 if you do it next semester (for a business unit), deferred to your HECS. If you do it during summer/winter school it'll be a lot more expensive as it's charged at full fee - $3,900, but can also be deferred.

For OP, you do get a blank slate if you internally transfer. Failing a unit doesn't exclude you from internally transferring, all that really matters is your final WAM; difference between a 49 and 50 is treated as just a 1 mark difference in that calculation (spare a thought for those using the 7-point GPA system). As for transferring, the cutoff for these things are usually lower than what people expect - ask the folk at admissions for a specific number.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)