Failing at University A and starting afresh in University B (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
Hi there, I need genuine advice on the situation I'm facing. Basically, as the thread title suggests, I did not do too well in University A, year 2008. I failed a few subjects, I received academic warnings and was told to take a break. After realising the mess I made, I switched universities to University B. I restarted from Year 1 and did not transfer any credits from University A to University B. I did moderately well in University B, got a GPA of 6.25. However, I don't really like the single degree I am doing now and want to do a double degree at University C.

My question is: Since I am determined to study hard in university, when I go for job interviews next time, must I present my university transcript from University A? Remember, I did not have credit exemption. I do understand, that should my potential employers ask what I was doing in 2008, I should tell them about University A.

By transferring universities, I do get a clean slate right? The only expense is the time that was wasted.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks :)

dolbinau

HSC
I'm not sure about a 'clean slate', I didn't think you could get a clean slate. I would be interested to know.

But I think your question is more an ethical question - (assuming your past units from other unis do not appear on your academic transcript..the MQ transcript had a key with all the Australian Unis IIRC, which kind of implies to me that perhaps they have your entire tertiary record - but again I'm not sure)...

I don't know why you would HAVE to tell them about "University A".

If they asked what you were doing in 2008 I guess it's a little harder, I mean lying is lying, so you should decide whether the risk of not getting the job outweighs the risk of getting caught.

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
when you apply to University C just don't mention your previous studies at uni A. I know there's a part on the form where they ask you to declare previous study, but just don't put anything. Don't worry about showing them your Uni A transcript.

i did this, and then when i was in second year i applied to have my credit from the first uni transferred to the new degree. I didn't have any problems doing things that way.

rx34

HSC
I'm not sure about a 'clean slate', I didn't think you could get a clean slate. I would be interested to know.

But I think your question is more an ethical question - (assuming your past units from other unis do not appear on your academic transcript..the MQ transcript had a key with all the Australian Unis IIRC, which kind of implies to me that perhaps they have your entire tertiary record - but again I'm not sure)...

I don't know why you would HAVE to tell them about "University A".

If they asked what you were doing in 2008 I guess it's a little harder, I mean lying is lying, so you should decide whether the risk of not getting the job outweighs the risk of getting caught.
Hey dolbinau, I talked to my family, they told me I'm not obligated to tell them about University A (like you suggested too). But should the employers ask, I must not lie to them.

Oh yes, and I got my academic transcript printed at University B, there were no records of my previous results at University A. It's probably because I didn't get credit exemption. In my opinion, it seems like a clean slate. Currently, my GPA and WAM are not based on my results in University A.

mmm_brrraains, when I applied to Usyd, I had to fill up some form to explain why I got academic warnings, blah blah. Usyd would definitely know about University A, but nevertheless, thanks for your suggestion :)

oct25

HSC
rx34, I'm in a similar situation to you!

I did one semester of uni (UNSW) in 2009 after completing hsc in 2008. I failed due to anxiety and personal issues. I quit my degree after that semester.

I was wondering how you managed to transfer to a different uni if you had the fails on your record? What is this form that you filled out?

If you don't mind me asking, what uni did you transfer from and to?

Thank you so much because this is really worrying me at the moment as I reapply for entry into uni for 2010.

Doomah

HSC
if you transfer to UNI-B and use credits points/exeptions from UNI-A, then u would show your uni-A transcript aswell.

however if you didnt apply for any exemptions/credits and you started off uni-B on a clean slate, just say you started uni a year late, because you worked in your gap year to make money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)