• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Failing English? (1 Viewer)

ClassOf2013

HSC
I'm really not doing too well in English (Advanced and Extension 1). My assesments in both have been averaging around the 70% mark, low B range. How can I get my marks up, my teachers (particularly for Advanced) are boring and are very difficult to pay attention to, and i'm finding the Extention 1 curriculum (as well as Shakespeare in Advanced) difficult to understand and boring.

I know these are sh!t marks, and I really want to improve before the beginning of Term 4. Would it be benificial if I dropped Extension 1 or would it be better to keep it?

starshine02

HSC
I guess you could always borrow some text study guides for the work you're doing in class. Understanding shakespeare is never easy so I like to first read little summaries of each scene before analysing it or whatever. You should also try and pinpoint which areas of english that you are bad at eg - essay writing, creative writing etc. You can do this by looking at past assessments that you've done. If you really aren't enjoying extension then perhaps just drop it at the end of this year. It won't be beneficial if you're doing badly in it...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's difficult to say without knowing your rank. It's not great, but I've seen a lot worse.

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
I'd say it depends on what the people around you are getting. If theyre getting similar marks to you then youre fine.

Also consider the topics youre doing next year before you drop, they may be more interesting which in turn will mean you will enjoy learning/studying it more

Focus is Key

HSC
The marks don't matter too much, though your ranks definately do. Your school may set harder or easier assessment tasks than other schools and we really wouldn't know. The best advice I can give is to find out your rank (or at least estimate based on what you know) then you can come to a reasonable conclusion as to how well you are doing in the English courses. For example, my first assessment task I got a 19/20 (1st place) and many other people did very well. Compare this with our third assessment task (A Listening task) where I only got 26/35 (mid 70's) and it was high enough for 2nd place! All tasks are set at varying difficulties so don't be too hard on yourself.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
it's year 11. Year 12 is much better, so just hold on a bit longer and see how it goes. You could also talk to your teachers and get some advice from them, they know you and your abilities far better than we do.

davidd1

HSC
I am usually getting slightly above the class average mark.
Then 70% is very good..
Never mind, since this is the average, I remember that my result was 74% and I was the third on the class..

ClassOf2013

HSC
I'd like to get 80+ in both Englishes in the HSC. What kind of marks do I need to be aiming for for this?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I'd like to get 80+ in both Englishes in the HSC. What kind of marks do I need to be aiming for for this?
In your case, if you can, I'd recommend dropping English Extension 1 for the HSC, and focusing on getting Advanced up to 85, since it cause a massive increase in your ATAR.

If your school marks to a HSC Standard (unlikely), then you would need a raw mark of approximately 61-62/100 in Advanced for an 80, a 68-69/100 for an 85 in Advanced, and approximately 33-34/50 for an 80 in English Extension 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)