• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Failing & schoolarships (1 Viewer)

Lu Lu

HSC
Hi guys,

I think I'll going to fail one of my subjects (Human medical science 3) but i'm on a schoolarship that I don't want to lose. In the scholarship info is says....

"Receipents must mainatin satisfactory academic progress (ie. pass a minimum of 50% of units attempted in Autumn or Spring teaching sessions and mainatin a GPA (GPA>/=4.00) over the academic year - Januray to December) for the duration of the scholarship."

.... and i don't understand.
My GPA for last semseter was 6.25. Does that mean if i get 2 credits and a distinction and a fail that I will lose the scholarship or not. Sorry for the dumb question but I'm really stressed and it would help to know that its ok if i fail one unit.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yes. You should still be able to keep your scholarship. You are only failing one subject, which is still above the 50% that you must pass.

If I have calculated correctly, your GPA should be about 5.5, so you'll still keep it.

Someone can correct me, if I'm wrong, as usual :p

L

LaraB

Lu Lu - what scholarship is it?

coz both of mine have similar clauses and following my scholarships - you can fail an "assessment" but you can't fail a "unit"... so with mine it doesn't matter ifyou get 3 HD's in the otehr units, if you fail one you lose it....

but then again.. mine has a higher GPA requirement so it might be different.

If you have any question - you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS email Pat McKingley, Pam Gibbs or Prue Greco....

if you assume things without asking them and you're wrong, you may not be able to get around it... but if you ask them straight away you'll know you've understood it right:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lu Lu

HSC
Thanks Cape.

Lara its the Commonwealth Accomodation Scholarship which is basically for those from rural areas, like me, or low socioeconomic groups. I think I will ring Prue Greco and see what the go is. What scholarship is yours? It seems really harsh.

L

LaraB

Lu Lu said:
Thanks Cape.

Lara its the Commonwealth Accomodation Scholarship which is basically for those from rural areas, like me, or low socioeconomic groups. I think I will ring Prue Greco and see what the go is. What scholarship is yours? It seems really harsh.
better to email her than call her - she's almost never there. plus if its emailed - you have written evidence if you need it for future that that was the official reason you were told - believe me - its easier than having to explain a phone conversation to a 3rd party :p

I have the UWS Academic Excellence Schoalrship and the Blacktown City Council UWS Academic Excellence Schoalrship - were both based purely on academic stuff and their aim is more or less to encourage high marks at UWS so it makes sense... plus i mean, over the 5 years between them i'll get $50,000 so if i was them i'd make some harsh conditions too lol:p

Lu Lu

HSC
Thanks guys. I just rang and they said that thats OK as long as I have a higher GPA than 4 which is basically what the conditions say. First semseter was so easy compared to second semster which is why I got a high GPA!
Wow Lara thats heaps of money for a scholarship well done and good luck.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I cant find anything about academic progress for CAS. Last semester I got an email saying that they were checking our results and that if we wanted to discuss them, we could.
So my impression was that it's pretty flexible if you fail and have to take the course again. I mean, it's over after 4yrs anyway...?
Freaking me out! I demand my rural right to not work

Lu Lu

HSC
Do it Natstar its so worth it. I didn't think i would get it as my family is not poor and I went to an ok school but i had to move to Campbelltown from a rural area and had to pay rent. The commonwealth accomodation scholarships are good ($4000 a year) and for rural students. Its been great having a scholarship as I haven't had to work this year - i just get paid from Mr Johnny Howard.

Lu Lu

HSC
Iron I'm not sure about your uni but at UWS we had to sign a recipient agreement that had heaps of conditions and stuff. Still only having to get a GPA of 4 ok - you can still have that rural not to work to hard.

L

LaraB

Iron said:
I cant find anything about academic progress for CAS. Last semester I got an email saying that they were checking our results and that if we wanted to discuss them, we could.
So my impression was that it's pretty flexible if you fail and have to take the course again. I mean, it's over after 4yrs anyway...?
Freaking me out! I demand my rural right to not work
if you're not a UWS student - you'll have to check with your uni.

Although for commonwealth supported scholarships tehre are general conditions that all unis have, unis are allowed to add their own conditions on top, within reason.

Just go onto your uni website - i knwo it's there on every NSW uni website somewhere coz i kept getting annoyed when i was applying for schoarships coz it kept appearing everywhere but i didn't qualify for it :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah there's no extra ANU conditions. I just assumed that it was a uniform commonwealth thing.
Those UWS bastards laughing it up in their great big ivory towers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)