• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Failing... (1 Viewer)

Prepare

HSC
say I fail all my subjects this semester, what happens?

do I just repeat them next semester (if they r offered) which basically means ill be at uni for 4.5 years instead of 4.

When you graduate will it show i failed my first semester and make my chances of getting a job slimmer?

starting to regret taking a year off last yr, cant get motivated especially staying in res wayyyyy to many distractions. have probably only attended 10% of lectures so far. doing well in the assesments tho.

oh well maybe if i study my ass off over the holidays ill pull someone outa my ass and pass.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
fails are recorded on your thingy majigy...
and if you fail, you need to repeat those subjects....you can fail a subject 3 times before they kick you out apparently...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Fails will appear on your academic trnascript, and (at USyd at leat), you will be asked to Show Cause if you fail the same subject twice - I'm not sure whether they will contact you if you fail all subjects in a semester.

They can also require you take less than a full load, and there is no guarantee that you would be able to progress into second semester units if you fail the first semester ones - there will often be prerequisites to prevent this - In short, you could end up delayed by more than 0.5 of a year, or even more than a full year. (So, try not to fail everything! and if you are at risk, go get help NOW - You will be received much more sympathetically if you are seen to have done something to address the situation. :))

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
awwwwwww... will u tutor me in maths cm_tutor??? ='(

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by boredofschool
show case??....
what does that mean?....just interested
Not Show Case, Show Cause.

It means Show Cause why you should be allowed to continue. It is a step along the path to being excluded from the University - ie. something to avoid having to do...

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by natstar
if u fail a subject u gotta repeat it, which means another couple of hundred bucks
or $700 for commerce subs and $1100 for law subs (at macq)

if you think you're going to just pass something, is there anything at all to be gained by failing on purpose and then coming back and getting a C or a D?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by golfstick
or $700 for commerce subs and $1100 for law subs (at macq)

if you think you're going to just pass something, is there anything at all to be gained by failing on purpose and then coming back and getting a C or a D?
snow bum in my opinoin that's really silly, because you're not only wasting your money and time.. but it totally doesn't matter whether or not you get a pass credit or distinction or whatever. i mean like yeah sure it's cool to get HD's and stuff but it's good enough to simply pass in uni.

paper

ytf would u purposely aim to repeat? its only 1 subject,

on the other hand its always good to aim higher though just for future jpb prospects. PWC wont recruit accounting graduates with a just-pass avg

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
i was only speaking hypothetically

and yes the idea would be that you'd want a D or something because employment prospects are higher if you have more Ds (and honours as melbournian mentioned)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by golfstick
I'd rather just pass than purposely fail it
because that fail will remain on your academic statement forever

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What if you plan to drop a course at the end of the semester, but instead you fail it. Aside from having a fail in your record would it make any difference if you want to drop it?

santaslayer

HSC
well, would it be in ur academic record even thou ur gonna drop it?.....if it would, then i'd pass it, try to anyway...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
What if you plan to drop a course at the end of the semester, but instead you fail it. Aside from having a fail in your record would it make any difference if you want to drop it?
There is a certain date (it different for all University's I think) that you have to withdraw from a course before if you don't want academic penalty. After that date, you are locked into that subject and your fail grade will be recorded:).

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
^^

That's what I was going to mention. I wish I knew about that last year when I knew I was going to fail a subject.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
That's what I was going to mention. I wish I knew about that last year when I knew I was going to fail a subject.
Hey Cyph, why did you re-register:confused:? By the way, you should have known, teachers are always mentioning, it is in our Course Outlines, and in our diaries:)!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
There is a certain date (it different for all University's I think) that you have to withdraw from a course before if you don't want academic penalty. After that date, you are locked into that subject and your fail grade will be recorded:).
This isn't necessarily true - It can be difficult to have a fail changed, and you need to have a good reason, but it isn't impossible...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
This isn't necessarily true - It can be difficult to have a fail changed, and you need to have a good reason, but it isn't impossible...
Yeah, well obviously if you were going well throughout the year and then a few weeks before your exam someone close to you died or something and it effected your preparation and or performance in an exam, causing you to fail, then they would surely understand:).

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
Hey Cyph, why did you re-register:confused:? By the way, you should have known, teachers are always mentioning, it is in our Course Outlines, and in our diaries:)!
haha, last semester I didn't care at all about Uni - I barely went and just wanted to pass. I don't think I even looked at a course outline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)