Faking quotes? (1 Viewer)

mark H

HSC
What do you reckon is it risky to fake quotes or techniques for a related text in English (Advanced) especially if it backs up what you're saying.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What do you reckon is it risky to fake quotes or techniques for a related text in English (Advanced) especially if it backs up what your'e saying.
Depends on the text. To be honest, you're doing yourself no favours in doing it.

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
For my half-yearlies I had related texts that were only really suited to a particular type of question. It was bad, I know, I should have had a wider range of RM. However I utterly faked all the lyrics, melodic-techniques and meaning for my song that I chose to suit the question and nothing was noticed. Perhaps the song wasn't that well known. Anyways, it's the HSC coming up now, and I wouldn't risk anything. Lol

enoilgam

HSC
Fake it till you make it. If the text isnt well known, then its probably better to fake quotes and techniques in order to bolster the quality of your work.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I would highly recommend against this at a university level.
True because you have experts in the field - usually - marking it, and if they don't know about it... then they're going to be like: "Oh, I didn't know that" - research it and then give you a great big zero for bringing their hopes up about finding something new on a topic they like, only to find you're faking it.

Or at least, that's what I envision.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
True because you have experts in the field - usually - marking it, and if they don't know about it... then they're going to be like: "Oh, I didn't know that" - research it and then give you a great big zero for bringing their hopes up about finding something new on a topic they like, only to find you're faking it.

Or at least, that's what I envision.
Yep, you can pretty much guarantee they've read everything you read for the essay.

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Golden Rule: Make sure your Shakespeare quotes sound Shakesperian.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Golden Rule: Make sure your Shakespeare quotes sound Shakesperian.
While true, don't fake Shakespeare quotes. Ever. They know the texts far too well. And they're far too easy to cross check.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Though, you might get marks for the lulz if you put: "ZOUNDS! A thief hath ravaged mine home and taken my iPad..." or something. (just joking)

enoilgam

HSC
i fake quotes in history and it works lul
I did this in my modern exams as well. It works better than learning real quotes because you can make one up to suit your response. However, you must make sure that the quotes are plausible.

I would highly recommend against this at a university level.
Agreed, making up stuff only works in High School.

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I tend to stay away from doing this. If you know the author/text well enough, you should generally be able to make up quotes convincingly. If you don't think it's convincing, don't do it at all.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Did this for my English Paper 2. Went into the exam with only one real related text for Module C so I fabricated my way out of it. Worked well enough.
And as for Modern, I do it when quoting historians etc if I suddenly do not remember them

timmyt

HSC
What do you reckon is it risky to fake quotes or techniques for a related text in English (Advanced) especially if it backs up what you're saying.
I used some obscure related text for history and memory, made up all these perfectly fitting quotes - they didnt know hahaha

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
fake movie techniques sure it's not like they can go watch the movie again in the marking centre to make sure

sometimes i forget half the quote even in core texts... as long as it generally sounds right they'll accept it, they consider it a 'first draft' response anyway.. probably don't make up quotes for core though lol

13abie

HSC
For relateds, I fake techniques, but usually not quotes. Rather than faking quotes, I normally just spice them up with a few words here and there or change the wording to make them more dramatic/technical/meaningful.
For history I always just paraphrase rather than quoting directly, it looks better AND you dont have to remember them exactly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)