Family and Workplace essays (1 Viewer)

DarkPrince_87

HSC
Wow i have no idea how i went in these essays i was confident up until now about what i wrote, for family some points i wrote include crimes amendment acts 1981 and 1999 and hwo they protect family members, talked about advos, maintenance, educations, health, legislations for all of the above and about 5 case studies.....for workplace had no idea what i was spose to do so i mentioned how theres always been an issue with employers and employees, mentioned rights of both these, mentioned legislations about workers comp, industrial and workplace acts, case studies, discrimination, unfair dismissal and a lil about negligence, i reffered all of them to case studies (well about 7 of them anyway).....by the way i did question a) in both of these essays....anyone know if what i wrote seems correct, if not what was i spose to write about?

Smartie87

HSC
yeh i wrote a lot of the same stuff as u for family. im happy... i put it all together well i think without doing that really noticable structure where u answer part one first, then part 2 of the ques. i really based my family one around family arrangements, and the legal issues which arise, and how it all reflects the changes in social acceptance and values. then at the end i concluded by summing up more clearly the ways in which the legal system responds to it... i could have put in more legislation and case study... basically i talked bout polygamous, same sex, single parent families, rights of adopted children ummm violece and the decline in tolerance (talked bout laws of chastisement) ummmm , change in marriage as a reflection of values and the remedies for dissolution of marriage.. increased access of ex nuptials....

workplace ahhh.. not as confident. ummm i talked bout the way things used to be ie master servent relationship, regulation thru duties and responsibilities of both parties, the fact that the gov thinks we need to be more flexible if we are to remain competitive at an international level, ummm safety and discrimination, and the industrial framework

_BaadShah_

HSC
seems like u guys chose "a" from the essays aye?..

i done "b" in both essays.. i was more prepared for those questions but for workplace i kinda forgot halfwai what to talk abt but it was alrite exam i guess...

cheers, ash

xand

HSC U LATER
HSC
I did B for both, but more importantly, in workplace as it was about societal values and shit, did anyone talk about how the legal system can not always reflect these values due to the new shadow legislation with workchoices and the new industrial relations reform? i slammed it on at the end but on the most part just spoke of ohs, unfair dismissal, discrimination and industrial relations and all the legislation/caselaw/government bodies etc...

_BaadShah_

HSC
u talkd abt all the issues ..damm how many pages u write??..

i only talkd abt oh&s and discrimination..wrote abt 6pages and was running out of time aswell..

Mellonie

HSC
Family- a

i talked about ... Parent and children.. how after the family law act 1999 reform was brought in it indicated the resposibility of the parents and welfare duty rather then custody and access terminology which was changed (this was compusory to talk about) I evaluated this section, by saying but how their is still the win/loose thinking but after child access has been gained though...
also children have a role as well, to understand that they are under 18, and alot of crimes they commit may fall upon their paretns. and they also have medical resposibility choices after afe of 16.. talked about how as they grow up, the children their resposibility increases

- domestic violence- i said it was ineffective becuz avo's could be too easily broken, so remedy was not adequate to enforce... although the good side is they can be attained over phone so access is really quick n easy....

- Child support scheme- the new one causes imbalancement- talked about how fathers use to be in distress which was shown on a televised tv program on four corners, but the new cild support scheme benefits the child only but brings about inequality for mothers outlined in some article i rememberes on the spot

- IvF- Artificial conception act 1984... i said more legislations need to be agailable in this family area, becuz one legislation which is outdated is not covering adequately for surrogace, ifv, ... n blabbed onj

I only dealt with 4 issues because i concentrated upon evaluating laws,n how law reform could come about in those areas....

Last edited:

xand

HSC U LATER
HSC
uuuh, i did 8 pages for all sections.
In all the issues i talked about discrimination remedies: HREOC, anti-dis act 77, sex dis act 75, race dis act, disab dis act, kitt v tourism commission, airc, etc

unfair dismissal remedies: nswirc, airc, grounds to claim unfair dismissal, wheeler v phillip morris etc

safety: ohs act 2000, ohs civil liabilties act 2000, workcover, injury management and workers compensation act, requirements within the workplace

IR: all the other crap.

then spoke about the howard government and workchoices at the end.

pretty text book stuff.

Mellonie

HSC
wow u guyz seemed to have done really god for workplace... i onyl got in 3 issues

a)

I did "unfair dismisal" - te remedies available, and evaluated it. I said yes theirs effective means of claming compensation if you feell u have been "unfairly dismissed". Then i said re-instatement, re- deployment are remedies available, which are effective inforced by IRC. Umm talked about conciliation and arbitration being the main issue, but i said the ineffective section being, the workplace act 1996 (cth) does not adress the fact casual employment and contract of services is increasing and thus these workers are disadvantaged and is hence the act should be reformed to suit the changing society needs of workers

- Master - servant relationshipips.. industrialisation brought on more workers right, and now those rights are under threat once more by the government, by compulsory awa-- rewinding back to "laissez fairee" approach

- occupational health and safety

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
workplace: (a)

Master/servant
contract
safety
industrial disputes

i can't remember what i wrote anymore hahaha

_BaadShah_

HSC
8pages xand and you talkd abt that much.. man your info must have been detailed and straight to point..

i wrote 6 and only on oh&s and discrimination... i referrd to master/servant in how issues/remedies changed overtime etc..

referred to kitt v tourism for discrimination ..and joel exner case for oh&s n kinda have mah opinion on if the "industrial manslaughter" did come earlier then the joel exner case.. wah would have happened to James Hardie...etc..

but goodwork xand.. i didnt even hav time to get onto mah 3rd issue which would have been termination of employment(unfair dismissal..etc)..

cheers, ash

Smartie87

HSC
heres a question 4 n e one who has a rough idea how it is marked... if u write a really really really good essay, but like only include 2 cases and only a few legislations, or no cases at all and not many legislations (yes i didnt study them) what mark will u be looking At???

DarkPrince_87

HSC
its been a while since i checked this post...but since other people have answered ill say what i wrote...i described alot and had an hour for each topic i hope they both get like 24/25 each coz i really want a band 5/6...

Family

crimes ammendment act 1981 (NSW) - sexual assault
child support legislation act 1998 (CTH)
child and young persons act 1998 (NSW) - safety against abuse
crimes ammendment act 1999 (NSW) - ADVO
family act 1975 (CTH)
family provision act 1982 (NSW) - inheritance
family law reform act 1995 (CTH) - care of children
marriage act 1965 (CTH)
matrimonial causes act 1959 (CTH) - no fault divorce
minors act 1970 (NSW) - health responsibilities
adoption of children act 1965 (NSW)
education act 1990 (NSW) - school from 6-15
status of children act 1996 (NSW) - all children are equal
young offenders act 1997 (NSW) - children get treated differently in court
Hyde vs Hyde and woodmansee 1886 - definition
rowan vs rowan 1977 - spousal maintenance
hohol vs hohol - property division
O'Dea 1980 - ADVO
Whiteoak vs Whiteoak 1980 - divorce
campbell vs campbell 1988 - child maintenance
20 yrs of law reform act
womans safety survey

All the above was used for my family essay., took me just over an hour writing non-stop. Workplace essay was a little less cases and stuff but more pages.

Workplace

anti discrimination act 1977 (NSW)
affirmative action act 1986 (CTH) equal rights for woman
employment protection act 1982 (NSW) - safety in the workplace regarding work
industrial realtions act 1996 (NSW)
industrial relations reform act 1996 (CTH) - redundancy warnings
oh&S - safety
workplace relations act 1996 (CTH)
workers comp 1987 (NSW)
dismissal - by notice and summary
dispute resolutions - airc and irc
equal pay - national wage and equal pay case 1972
equal rights
workcover nsw state body
wardley vs ansett 1984 - sex discrimination
allan vs glasemar 1994 - summary dismissal
national textiles workers 2000
kuhna vs bhp - workers comp
paris vs stepney borough council - 1951 - duty of care
byrne vs ansett airlines ltd 1994 - unfair dismissal
joel exner - negligence

well thats about it...there was about 12 pages for each...does anyone think i will get marks like 24/25 coz i really want it...think ill lose marks for saying industrial relations act 1996 (CTH) instead of (NSW) and (NSW) for workplace instead of (CTH).........any input would b appreciated.

DarkPrince_87

HSC
P.S i did relate it back to the question...wasnt just a hole load of useless information

DarkPrince_87

HSC
yeh i did that for both of them...thx i was fairly confident with family, im kinda unsure about workplace as i made a slight mistake with the legislations and i didnt mention proposed changes in the workforce

DarkPrince_87

HSC
i did wat mellonie did, probly sed same things as she did for each of the legislations we mentinoed except i didnt mention IVF treatment i just thought it was unnecessay in the given scenarion but i probly did it wrong

did you ppl talk about intenrational intervention in response to family and workplaces? It was in the rubric. I just came up with a few statistics, lol i hope i was close to the actual figure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)