• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

FAQ for HSC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Er...define "hard" subjects and "easy" subjects???
Well, there's not a clear-cut distinction, just that some subjects scale good and some scale bad.

"Hard": Extension subjects, most notably Ext 2 Maths and Ext 2 English. Unsure about Ext History as I have no idea about the subject. Science subjects such as Chem and Physics are also considered to be hard so they scale up. Languages, such as Latin.

"Easy": General Maths, IPT, Senior Science, VA, Standard English, etc.

But you should really be doing be doing subjects that you enjoy and are good at. Don't worry about whether they're hard or easy. As long as you perform good in them, they'll still contribute quite a lot to your UAI in the end.

Besides, if you do below average in any subject, the scaling affects you negatively.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Undermyskin said:
BTW, School can predict quite accurately your HSC? Fact or fiction?
It depends, schools use a program similar to sam, and it depends how your career advisor uses it. My career advisor typed in my raw trial marks and i got a UAI estimate of 88 -_-. Then I got another prediction after trials, via the scaling of the raw marks and taking my ranks into account. I got a UAI prediction of 96.75 that time.

Really depends on who is using the program and how they use it. Accurate predictions may be between 2 uai points off

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Lol, our "predictions" are just our Deputy Prinicpal looking at our marks and ranks and going "You'll probably get ____ " Forget high-tech SAM-like programs.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
drynxz, I highly endorse this FAQ but my success slightly varies with yours.

I was on MSN and BoS frequently and I constantly watched Gundam SEED prior to the trials and these had very little impact on me, but, make sure your recollection skills are good enough to help you survive or blaze your exams.
Stick with 6 to 8 hours of rest and try not to attempt difficult Maths prior to or at midnight, it will ruin you at school, your body needs the rest it deserves.
If only I did take Omega-3 supplements ... But my adrenaline rushes proved a proficient natural substitute ... :D
My biological clock coordinated my activities and studies for me so I didn't need to write out a timetable.

Did I tell anyone I'm kind of a Biological CPU ? =P

ccc123

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Er... is it important?

Trials don't affect, do they?

Freak will get 99+ without having a troubled life.

Ranks and marks are equally importants, I should say.
*I think someone already answered this, but your trials are just like another assessment, usually worth 40%-ish I'd say.

*I agree though that marks and ranks are equally important. If you are in a really strong cohort and are averaging 90+ but ranked 15/100, then this can't be equated to someone averaging 70%-ish in a weak cohort, and ranking higher (this is essentially what you are doing if you only consider ranks.)

Focusing solely on ranks can also be very misleading due to the diparity in the size of the cohort. For example, in my year, there are 204 doing Adv Eng, whereas at my friends school there were 40-something.

Obviously, focusing more on the mark and disregarding the rank also has consequences, beacuse the marking standards at your particular school could be leinent, maening while you may be achieving high marks, comparitively they aren't anything special.

So basically, I disagree with people who are liek 'rank rank rank!' because we need to take a more holistic approach.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah- high rank and high internal and external marks is a win-win situation.

knguy3n

HSC
just wondering is there a way to predict your UAI? not using the SAM or other computerised UAI predictor? how accurate do you think the SAM or other UAI predictors are?

would averaging all my marks from all my assessments do?, to get an estimate of my final UAI?

and just wondering you know how they say that 50% of your UAI comes from the HSC exam and the other from your school assessments, say if you do average, in the exams, from school, and get like around 50s-70s? how would it impact on your final UAI.

ccc123

HSC
knguy3n said:
just wondering is there a way to predict your UAI? not using the SAM or other computerised UAI predictor? how accurate do you think the SAM or other UAI predictors are?

would averaging all my marks from all my assessments do?, to get an estimate of my final UAI?

and just wondering you know how they say that 50% of your UAI comes from the HSC exam and the other from your school assessments, say if you do average, in the exams, from school, and get like around 50s-70s? how would it impact on your final UAI.
NO.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
knguy3n said:
Off by 1-2 UAI MAX. Rarely 3.
knguy3n said:
Khong.
knguy3n said:
Marks won't matter in internally as much as ranks. Just maintain decent ranks and get a good result (band 5's ish) in the external HSC exams and you'll be fine.

Felix Jones

HSC
tommykins said:
It's covered in the other thread. Ranks are, in short, more important because essentially, your UAI is a RANK.
Dude, shUT uP!

cal-

Banned
HSC
he guna bash ur hed in man fukin ell dis shit juz got seriuz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)