Fav and Least Fav Subject at this point in? (1 Viewer)

eat_well

HSC
Favourite subject: English
Least favourite: Ext 1 Maths
I remember totally hating English but I understand it now. The subject was made compulsory for a reason and I know a lot of people complain about it but just look back and see how much you've improved. There's no way I would understand or be able to write half the stuff I do now.

IamBread

HSC
Favourite subject: English
Least favourite: Ext 1 Maths
I remember totally hating English but I understand it now. The subject was made compulsory for a reason and I know a lot of people complain about it but just look back and see how much you've improved. There's no way I would understand or be able to write half the stuff I do now.
And what reason is that?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
And what reason is that?
So that the education system would value types of critical thinking not found in other subjects. Not only that but to cultivate the ability to express ideas into the education system. Other subjects can do this but are very limited.

IamBread

HSC
So that the education system would value types of critical thinking not found in other subjects. Not only that but to cultivate the ability to express ideas into the education system. Other subjects can do this but are very limited.
I don't know how finding metaphor's in a book and analysing belonging in some story can benefit anyone or anything. And what types of critical thinking does it teach that are unique to just english? Looking into things that aren't there? I really don't feel like going into a discussion about the importance of english lol, but, for me, english was nothing but a waste of time. It didn't teach me anything. All of my language and communicating skills came from physics and maths and from explaining things to people and putting forth my ideas in ways other people could understand. I don't see why it should be compulsory, at least with it's current syllabus. It was the whole reading a book, to get ideas about belonging, a book, that someone had made up. It was like they were teaching us science from a science fiction novel (well that's how I saw it anyway). I just could never see the point in it, or enjoy so it let me down. I can understand people doing it who enjoy it and want to do it. But I don't think it should be compulsory. There's my view on it.

HSC
I don't know how finding metaphor's in a book and analysing belonging in some story can benefit anyone or anything. And what types of critical thinking does it teach that are unique to just english? Looking into things that aren't there? I really don't feel like going into a discussion about the importance of english lol, but, for me, english was nothing but a waste of time. It didn't teach me anything. All of my language and communicating skills came from physics and maths and from explaining things to people and putting forth my ideas in ways other people could understand. I don't see why it should be compulsory, at least with it's current syllabus. It was the whole reading a book, to get ideas about belonging, a book, that someone had made up. It was like they were teaching us science from a science fiction novel (well that's how I saw it anyway). I just could never see the point in it, or enjoy so it let me down. I can understand people doing it who enjoy it and want to do it. But I don't think it should be compulsory. There's my view on it.
But English is the language of ideas. I know people say maths is in everything but nothing is more relevant than english. You need to know how to communicate ideas, opinions. Although I agree that most of the crap they teach us is a lot of bs, it is important that student learn to take things for more than just "face-value". I think their intentions for the course are valid, they just fail to execute.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
English is actually compulsory as they need one subject to be compulsory for comparative reasons during scaling.

Last edited:
HSC
English is actually compulsory as they need one subject to be complusory for comparative reasons during scaling.
True, and it's only right that English be the one they choose. More relevant to make that compulsory than say maths, though I think they should at least make some form of Economics be taken maybe in Middle School.

Eg155

HSC
*predictions*
Hate: MX1 + 2U, Adv (...it already sounds boring just from subject interviews... :L)
Bearable: EX1
Love: Bio, Modern.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
At the moment: Cannot wait for 3U English
Dreading : Chemistry thats why im going to change it

Going to change Chemistry for Modern on the first day of school, I regret choosing it but luckily in my school there is a 2 week period where you can make changes to your subjects but you must have adequate reason which will leave me with

3U English
Modern Hist.
Ancient Hist.
Pd/h/pe
Biology
Food tech.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Worst: Modern History
Best: Chemistry

*Technically haven't dropped Modern History yet*
When I do, least favorite will probably be MX2 due to it's difficulty.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Best: Accounting, English adv, Ancient
Tolerable: legal studies
Worst: Maths 4u, Economics, Ext 1 Eng

I find it weird how so many people love ext1 english. I came like near the top of school in adv but came like last at ext eng LOL
I guess its cos you can have preprepared essays for adv and there are definitive answers. Like technique, quote etc
In eng ext our school gives related texts on the day so no prepared essays and i find everything about it so vaguee.

epicFAILx

HSC
In year 7 mine were:

Fave: Drama

Least: Math

This year (Yr12) is:

Fave: Bio

glad to see some things have neever changed... math thou art heartless b-
*rants*

Coookies

HSC
In year 7 mine were:

Fave: Drama

This year (Yr12) is:

Fave: Bio

glad to see some things have neever changed... math thou art heartless b-
*rants*
Why did you pick maths then? lol

I think most people pick maths because they've done it since they could remember so its sort of 'compulsory' in their mind...

inJust

HSC
In years 9-10, my favourite subject was Games. 6 hours a day on the laptop.

inJust

HSC
Win.

Flash games and tafe/teachers net accounts.
Since we got macs from the government, we played Halo in class, CS, Dota and a myriad of other games. Yeah, half the class would play together.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Since we got macs from the government, we played Halo in class, CS, Dota and a myriad of other games. Yeah, half the class would play together.
Lol nice.

I also remember the whole class simulaneously pressing function 2 to blank the screen whenever the teacher came around. Awkwardest moments ever haha.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Favourite: Chem & maths
Least: English. I do not understand how people like it - even when they explain why. I just can't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)