• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fav Bible Quotes/Verses (1 Viewer)

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
P_Dilemma said:
Proverbs 21:19

"Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife"

I'll keep that in mind :D

-P_D
Shows the Bible is sexist and biased against women. Men could not only be quarrelsome and ill-tempered, but also violent. But there is no suggestion/advice for women in that situation.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
BritneySpears said:
Shows the Bible is sexist and biased against women. Men could not only be quarrelsome and ill-tempered, but also violent. But there is no suggestion/advice for women in that situation.
And an old tort book I have refers to both men and women as man. Who is to say that the laws don't apply to both?

Edit: lol the economics chapter I'm reading for my assignment "Like woman's, his work is never done."

Davriel

HSC
N/A
"Yea I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil" - Psalm 23:4.

And why do I not fear said valley? Because I will embrace the evil.

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.
Holy shit, I was about to post the same; the "ethic of reciprocity", a.k.a. "The Golden Rule". (Matthew 7:12, Luke 6:31, Luke 10:27)
Sadly, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." means little to people now, as well-known as it may be.

A fav, from Exodus 21:23-21:27:
  • If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. When a slave-owner strikes the eye of a male or female slave, destroying it, the owner shall let the slave go, a free person, to compensate for the eye. If the owner knocks out a tooth of a male or female slave, the slave shall be let go, a free person, to compensate for the tooth.
This, I find, is a joke; it's just inciting an endless cycle of violence and other uncivil behaviour. Religion is, as described by Freud, "the opium of the masses"; most people I know are atheists and apparently atheists are "smarter" (what twits for surmising thusly, those people indeed are).
  • Proverbs 16:18: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."
Wonderful, truthful proverb!

NTB, you're quote is actually, "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. " (The Bible: Matthew 26:52)

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Josie said:
As much as I enjoy quotes from fiction, I can't remember any bible quotes off the top of my head at the moment.
<3. Quoted.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
I think you'll find alot of that's from Hammurabi's code of laws - I also think it's a terrible idea in practice.

NTB, you're quote is actually, "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. " (The Bible: Matthew 26:52)
Yea I try to paraphrase the principles.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
BritneySpears said:
Its not. Whats its saying is actually kinda true. Example: My family. You don't get on the bad sides of the females in my family. :)

And since thats from the Old Testament, its also believed by Jews. Interesting to see how people attack Christianity so easily yet completely ignores the fact that some of these quotes are also believed by Jews as well as Christians.

Legham

HSC
Interesting to see how people attack Christianity so easily yet completely ignores the fact that some of these quotes are also believed by Jews as well as Christians.
Jews are insulted more than christians around here! But i think it might be something to do with everyone already knowing that nobody likes christians, so theres no point insulting them really.. The jews on the other hand, thats a way more radical insult! And they have the added bonus of hitler jokes..

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Legham said:
Jews are insulted more than christians around here! But i think it might be something to do with everyone already knowing that nobody likes christians, so theres no point insulting them really.. The jews on the other hand, thats a way more radical insult! And they have the added bonus of hitler jokes..
Christianity, as a religion, is far, far more insulted here, and anywhere, than Judiasm. Hence what i previously said.

Legham

HSC
Perhaps it's cause i live in a small-ish town where the people are way different than in cities.. Nobody even talks about christianity here.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Legham said:
Perhaps it's cause i live in a small-ish town where the people are way different than in cities.. Nobody even talks about christianity here.
lol, well then its different here. Suprisingly, its always the gay guys at my school who are the ones who make fun of Christianity.....

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
S1M0 said:
Its not. Whats its saying is actually kinda true. Example: My family. You don't get on the bad sides of the females in my family. :)

And since thats from the Old Testament, its also believed by Jews. Interesting to see how people attack Christianity so easily yet completely ignores the fact that some of these quotes are also believed by Jews as well as Christians.
The reason Christianity is being attacked is because Christians are starting these threads to "inform us", not Jews.
If the Jews started a thread on quotes from the Old Testament, I'm sure they'd be getting it too.

Edit: I attack the views of Christians more often than Jews because I've NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER been stopped on the side of the road by a Jew who wants to convert me. So I'm far more respectful to them. Petty, but true.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I especially like the one in the Old Testament where it is espoused that fathers should sleep with their daughters.

Don't where, but it's there.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I especially like the one in the Old Testament where it is espoused that fathers should sleep with their daughters.
I think you'll find that's the story of lot and his daughters. They apparently got him drunk so they could take advantage of him as they were still under the influence of Sodom.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Nope, it wasn't Lot. It was one of those books that had various "rules" in it - not unlike Leviticus or Deuteronomy. Except it wasn't those. It actually had the imperitive "fathers should sleep with their daughters."

Confound it, if I could find the damn quote again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)