• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Favourite Epic (1 Viewer)

E

Empyrean444

I doubt this will get many replies, as this genre is really becoming extinct (unfortunately). Nevertheless, what is your favourite epic poem?

Mine would probably be the Aeneid by Virgil.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Alas, I have only read one in full - Homer's Odyssey, which is quite fun. It's particularly interesting given how many western cultural works make reference to the Odyssey (and the Iliad). I've read pieces of Beowulf and the Bhagavad Gita but can't really give much comment on them.

E

Empyrean444

Yeah, i've only read 2, but i am reading a third at the moment, and i know the general gist of the Odyssey (though i haven't read it).

u-borat

Banned
HSC
The Aeneid gets very bogged-down with too much description in bits.

Samuvel

HSC
Armo virumque cano! I'm honestly sick to death with the Aeneid after Latin last year, but I still prefer it to the Greeks. I find Homer gets too jolly rhetorical. And while Virgil has his share of divine machination, Homer takes it to an absurd and rather irritating extent.

Actually I think my heart is closer to the northern epics (Beowulf, or the Icelandic sagas). They may be less perfectly formed than their mediterranean ancestors, but something about the darkness and raw violence resonates strongly with this northerner!

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
Try Kazantzakis' 'Re-telling' of the Odyssey as well, it's pretty amazing (one of his major works).

I found Beowulf absolutely dreadful, and Homer incredible. Gilgamesh is a must-read even if it is incredibly barbaric(it IS semitic after all).

Samuvel

HSC
I couldn't stick the Divine Comedy to be honest. It was such a take-off of Virgil. And I just don't understand that whole Catholic mythology business. I suppose it was alright in Inferno, but once he hits purgatory I switched off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)