favourite instrumental/orchestral pieces (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
so.... what are your faves guys??? :)

olay

HSC
hehe hey i can play that :D

oh my gosh guys i just found the cooooooooolest thing :D

you know schubert's serenade? [i'm pretty sure you've heard of it]...... they fused it with this tango and OH MY GOSH its like a party in there!!!!!!!!!!! :)

"tango seranato de schubert" by buddha bar :) so so cool [far more so if you know the original], check it out guys :D

chepas

HSC
Yay! A thread dedicated to this topic :p

Smetana's "Ma vlast" is my favourite orchestral piece of all time, esp. the 2nd movement 'Vltava', that river through Prague.

I love the romantic period.... Lately I am stuck in it on my stereo.

That tango thing sounds really interesting, but if its like that really shite version of Eine kleine Nachtmusik with a beatbox I will have to blow it up.... is it on the net or findable on imesh/kazaa etc? or in a shop somewhere?

olay

HSC
i got it from kazaa, and no seriously it is some UBER FUNK going on there. its amazing :D [ok maybe u should just hear it for yourself :) but i was blown away by it :D]. hmm haven't heard of Smetana, nor anything by him or her, i must go listen :D

chepas

HSC
Yes you must :D - Czech composers. Hurray for their nationalism and riddance of German-ness over them, at least after WW2, then the Soviets, but the Czech spirit has never seemd to have died.

Oh, ber funk. Gute Deutsche ve are, ja? Then search I shall.

Rediscovered my Dvorak Serenade for Wind op44. - another lovely little piece.

Josephine

HSC
Yeah, "Ma Vlast" is really good :) I absolutely love Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto, I could listen to it all day *sigh*

sugared plum

HSC
OHH czech composers!! i used to be crazy over Dvorak, but now i just love the mad Janacek operas. but also good czech dudes are suk and martinu. and i like smetana's moldau.
my father says this weird thing about czechoslovakia where the czechs were all the artists and the slavs were the slobs.
he thinks it's funny.

olay

HSC
:) i just got moldau because i couldn't find ma vlast!!! it is rather beautiful although theres a chipping machine chomping up trees outside jading my aural experience. :p

Originally posted by chepas
Oh, ber funk. Gute Deutsche ve are, ja? Then search I shall.
eto..... sumimasen, wakarimasen!! "oh, very funk. good german something something, yes?" hehe thats all i got out of that.

oh and off topic, do u guys know where you can get online scores [for free :D]??

sugared plum

HSC
umm i don't think you can get online scores free , but you can go and look at the con library free, or even buy a library card and borrow.

chepas

HSC
I've seen Berlioz Symphonie fantastique online before, but mmm.

I found that just by typing something like "Berlioz"+"scores" or something in altavista. I never thought it'd actually lead somewhere :p. - Also some might be on through a link through the sibelius.com site, but the scores are usually nothing significant.

HSC
There is a fair bit of classical piano music here:
http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/
Its all free but you can only d/l 2 peices a day... But you can get around that if you delete all your internet files.
I doesn't have everything but it's the best site for free classical piano music out there i think. There are some orchestral workds there too but its mostly piano.

Last edited:

olay

HSC
hehe i have the entire score to symphonie fantastique anyway :D [cause i was gonna use it + the program as my additional text for adv eng]. and i have quite a loooot of piano music anyway. i was more looking for orchestral, cause i love listening and score reading at the same time. :) its as lovely as a hot drink on a cold day! i'll have a look at the sheet music archive thingy though! :) and :S still can't get ma vlast!

chepas

HSC
The SF for an additional text? Brilliant!!! For journeys, yes? My teacher has a pole up her arse about 'music not being a text', because apparently it can't convey emotion and meaning that a book or a painting can.... but the programme, yes!! Phys/Imaginative/Inner journey?

Yeah, I prefer listening to a good symphonic work with a score in front of me, helps me to remember the themes and sick little stuff better :) - a lot of the scores I have I just covet from school, :rolleyes:

Ma vlast can't be found many places, I had a hell of a time trying to find the other movements, in the end I just found a CD in a classical 'bargain bin' for $2 by chance, but I didn't like that particular conductor's leading of the Vltava (I prefer using the Czech name to the former dominating-power German name, for that reason :D) - so, what downloading prog do you use? I use imesh.... but sooooo much ad software and popups...

olay

HSC
i wanted it for imag. he made us find other texts too, and they worked far better, but i have it as a back up. :) sif music does not convey meaning and emotion the way a painting can. O_O hehe yeah my music teacher is cool, he lends/photocopies me scores n burns me cds :D kick arse :D

must hunt down ma vlast. i'm so curious. my teacher prob has it though, i'll just peer pressure him into handing it over :D heehee. i use kazaa lite. theres a lot of corrupt files going round on it :S so disappointing when u get something and it turns out plain nasty :S

chepas

HSC
YAY!!!

ABC Classics played my net request today :D Smetana's "Vltava"... and by a real Czech ensemble (Czech Phil)... hurrah!!! But god I wish I chose my words wiser, when I submitted the requested we had to write a little reason why and mine sounded so daggy t'wasn't funny, and the presenter guy read them out! :rolleyes:

caroline86

I like Symphony No. 25 in G minor by Mozart. I'm playing it in orchestra at the moment and i'm really enjoying it. one problem is that it's baroque so there isn't much dynamics. i like the dramatic music!

Gevaudan

Mahler Symphony No. 5!! :)

Are there any other Mahlerites out there?
I also love guitar music. Like Koyunbaba, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)