Favourite item of clothing (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
Who said I wore it? I bought one for my wife though.
Was shopping at Hermes annoying? I’ve heard that you have to be put on a waiting list for their bags or be a repeat customer and maintain a good relationship with the sales associates to get your hands on a Birkin. Otherwise they’ll just lie and say they’re out of stock.

idkkdi

HSC
Was shopping at Hermes annoying? I’ve heard that you have to be put on a waiting list for their bags or be a repeat customer and maintain a good relationship with the sales associates to get your hands on a Birkin. Otherwise they’ll just lie and say they’re out of stock.
just had a quick search, and it seems getting a Birkin bag is ridiculously difficult. lol wtf.

quickoats

HSC
just had a quick search, and it seems getting a Birkin bag is ridiculously difficult. lol wtf.
I guess that's how they maintain the scarcity and elitism of the product (which is not awfully expensive for something of the status). Certainly not cheap but $10k for arguably the most sought after fashion accessory on earth is not that much so they gotta regulate supply and create a barrier to entry.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I guess that's how they maintain the scarcity and elitism of the product (which is not awfully expensive for something of the status). Certainly not cheap but $10k for arguably the most sought after fashion accessory on earth is not that much so they gotta regulate supply and create a barrier to entry.
This is pretty common with luxury goods, Economics Explained explained did a video on it.

It's the same with Rolex and Patek Philippe watches. According to the video, the manufacturers like to keep stock scarce so even older models retain their resale value and it's not possible to enter the market cheaply. By doing that, it means the sellers can be very picky about their customers and preference good customers that have already built up a good relationship/spent a lot.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Correct. There are ways to avoid the usual "suck up to the SA" approach but you'll still be expected to shell out for various addons/accessories if you want to be able to leave with one of the holy trinities.

Indeed. I really don't appreciate the way they treat customers/etc and the whole artificial scarcity side of things, and I commented many times to my wife how different the service is compared to other luxury brands or significant purchases, but then that's also how they maintain the exclusivity/value of it all.

quickoats

HSC
Correct. There are ways to avoid the usual "suck up to the SA" approach but you'll still be expected to shell out for various addons/accessories if you want to be able to leave with one of the holy trinities.
There's always Birkin/Kelly stock in the back right? Just up to the sales associate to tell the truth? And is it true that they'll start off with an ugly colour?

Would there be any "reverse" commission or incentive to the SA's for not selling Birkins?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There's always Birkin/Kelly stock in the back right? Just up to the sales associate to tell the truth? And is it true that they'll start off with an ugly colour?

Would there be any "reverse" commission or incentive to the SA's for not selling Birkins?
Shrug. Varies by store to store and SA to SA. My understanding was you have to know what you want before you go in and be clear on what your preferences are (style/model, size, colours)... and that SAs make no commission on selling the highly desired bags and hence to make the most of their time, they need to upsell you on the custom straps/handles and matching accessories/wallets/etc.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
This is pretty common with luxury goods, Economics Explained explained did a video on it.

It's the same with Rolex and Patek Philippe watches. According to the video, the manufacturers like to keep stock scarce so even older models retain their resale value and it's not possible to enter the market cheaply. By doing that, it means the sellers can be very picky about their customers and preference good customers that have already built up a good relationship/spent a lot.

Rolex's attitude pisses me off. In the 1980s you could walk into a store, and it would be feasible to get the model that you wanted. Now you either have to go second hand and pay more than twice the amount for certain models such as the stainless steel models (unless you are a "valued Rolex" customers spending 100,000s at the minimum).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Rolex's attitude pisses me off. In the 1980s you could walk into a store, and it would be feasible to get the model that you wanted. Now you either have to go second hand and pay more than twice the amount for certain models such as the stainless steel models (unless you are a "valued Rolex" customers spending 100,000s at the minimum).
Yeah, it sucks. Flippers and speculators have made it worse over the last 10-20 years for the second hand market.

Iirc a bit over 10 years ago, you could even get used earlier 4 or 5 digit subs etc. for a decent amount less than a new one.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
And this is why I still wear an Apple Watch :) I just can't bring myself to wear a Rolex (or equivalent)... doesn't feel "me".

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hermes Apple Watch by any chance?
lol no. I was so close to getting one for Christmas a couple years back but decided it wasn’t worthwhile since the watch would be outdated each year and whilst I could reuse the bands, I wouldn’t get the Hermes exclusive watch face... so instead I just got a normal watch and a DSLR :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)