FEAS (1 Viewer)

the_matrix

HSC
Hey guys!

I received my official ATAR estimate from my careers advisor today (it's pretty close to the estimates I've received here).
My ATAR estimate is: 87.10
What are my chances of getting into UNSW via FEAS? fyi I'm doing quite okay in maths 2U and Ext 1 (~80-85%) but not so well in physics.

Also, just out of curiosity, is Software Engineering that intense compared to other CSE degrees (no sleep, insanity, no social life - I really need this)

Cheers!

turntaker

HSC
Your chances are pretty high. Pretty sure you will be eligible for bonus points as well.

And software engineering can be easy or hard, it depends if you enjoy coding or not. Some people like it, some people hate it. .
Also consider computer science as its much more flexible and basically the same thing as software engineering.

Flop21

HSC
Why do you want to do software engineering I don't get it. Do comp sci, so much more flexibility. No forced workshops or thesis or industrial training.

All the CSE degrees are very similar. You can see the subjects they do for yourself.

Study hard, work hard and just aim to get that 91. It's not far off your estimate at all. You've got a good chance with FEAS if you have a good math mark and can show you have a passion for computing / software engineering / comp sci.

turntaker

HSC
I think people think software engineering is better cause it has the word engineering in it and it sounds better to parents

the_matrix

HSC
I think people think software engineering is better cause it has the word engineering in it and it sounds better to parents
@flop: pretty much that^ LOL as naive as I may sound, I've always wanted to be an engineer since year 8 and I love the 'engineer' title rather than programmer (although computer scientist is the actual term most noobs see them as simply programmers)

However, thank you all for your opinions and support! :)

turntaker

HSC
@flop: pretty much that^ LOL as naive as I may sound, I've always wanted to be an engineer since year 8 and I love the 'engineer' title rather than programmer (although computer scientist is the actual term most noobs see them as simply programmers)

However, thank you all for your opinions and support! :)
Yeah I kind of cringe when people think Computer Science grads are just programmers. That is part true. But computer science is much more than that.

Its not just IT.

HSC
I know people who got well below the 91 cutoff even with EAS/HSC Plus and still made it in UNSW Engineering without FEAS.
Also if you're into programming, you should be doing Computer Science rather than software engineering even though software engineering sounds like a course with more programming, it actually is not :)

Don't worry though! Keep up with what you have, you'll make it in. I had an estimate of around mid 80s-90 ATAR from this forum, made it into a course with much higher cutoff. I also applied FEAS because I was worried about achieving 87 ATAR (the lowest I could've got when HSC Plus was included) but it never came to use.

keepLooking

HSC
If you hit your estimate, you will almost get in for sure unless there is a huge surge of kids wanting to hop onto the hype train.

afaik, software engineering isnt that different to any other engineering course. Be prepared for > 3 days a week.

dracula

Pokémon Master
HSC
With an ATAR like that, you would probably get into your course without even applying for FEAS, so you have a pretty good chance. Good luck!

Flop21

HSC
With an ATAR like that, you would probably get into your course without even applying for FEAS, so you have a pretty good chance. Good luck!
..? The guaranteed entry is a 92 ATAR, and last year the cut-off was 91. So no they won't get in with a <91/92 ATAR without FEAS...

RyanT7

HSC
Hey guys!

I received my official ATAR estimate from my careers advisor today (it's pretty close to the estimates I've received here).
My ATAR estimate is: 87.10
What are my chances of getting into UNSW via FEAS? fyi I'm doing quite okay in maths 2U and Ext 1 (~80-85%) but not so well in physics.

Also, just out of curiosity, is Software Engineering that intense compared to other CSE degrees (no sleep, insanity, no social life - I really need this)

Cheers!
Don't forget about the UNSW bonus points for certain bands in certain subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)