Feature Article (1 Viewer)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hi,
If they ask u to write a Feature Article on Change (Part 3), how would you write it?
Would you pretend u r a reporter doing a story on change , and in the body on the article, it would be the same as the essay

Thanks???

trishka

yeah its basically like an essay, but you have to use direct quotes, and show an opinion

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
i doubt they'd ask u to write a feature article in part 3, maybe in paper 2 but usually paper 1 part 3 is an essay. i could be wrong though.

they'd tell you who you have to pretend to be and the audience (eg you are writing for a school magazine) then you'd have to change your language etc

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Get an example of feature articles, you'll see the opinions, shorter paragraphs (for some feature articles) and the title/subtitle/leading paragraph.
[my-spur-of-the-moment-extract-from-a-feature-article, (y'know, to practice for tomorrow)]
" 'Wide reading'... ...has replaced 'close reading'. Students and teachers drown in shallow water." says James King, from whose quote I extend this analogy to the students having to analysis every type of text there is. Plays, biographies, autobiographies, short stories, long stories i.e. novels, poems, diary entires, journal entries (they ARE different), normal news articles, feature articles, opinion coloumns, letters to the editor, personal letters, formal correspondence letters...
And speeches. In particular speeches: historical speeches, important speeches, famous speeches, presentations-to-class small time speeches... Not even the president of te united States needs to know how to write a speech, (since his staff writes the speech for him,) so why do the poor students at school have to know?; they get little chance of actually needing to make a good one in life, AND the point of a speech IS to get the point across...
And that's not all. There's also other forms of texts, according to the new syllabus. Texts that a student may study, include but are not limited to: Photoes, illustrations, oil paintings, 'paint' paintings, cartoons, satirical cartoons, houses, streets, the postal system, a screen-shot of *pffft* MS Encarta, even your pet dog... you name it, they claim it. What now? Must these students become omniscient as well as professors of all fields?
Not to be outdone, section 3 of the Caringbah high trials this year was known to have said: "... compose a reply to this [a government sponsored teenage forum on change ]*pfft*] forum, referring to what you have learnt from the Area of Study."* This example, although a spurt of creativity on the part of teachers, does not reflect one problem. When has the teachers, in particular, teachers in charge of marking, ever visited a teenage forum? If not so, as is likely the case, then how can they mark it? Like an essay it seems.
Oh the irony.

* - The author does NOT purport to have copied the statement word for word, minor variations may occur due to bad memory of the author. He hereby disclaims all responsibility.:D
edit: various stuff, beefing up the feature article..

Last edited:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
For a feature article, you can be slightly more personal. But just slightly, as it depends on the audience you're reaching out to. Also, the impotant note is to think harder aboutthe opening. It HAS to grab attention.

Oh yeah, the title of my feature article would be:
This is not a feature article, this is an insane rambling about HSC english exams
The changes the new syllabus has made has only made more failed rubric (i.e. rhetoric) and less connection with reality, argues Poker Chen

If you perchance to be one of those minorities who read the paper every day AND does HSC english, you will notice that the format of the feature article they teach are not necessarily the format journalists use in real publications...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha omg

googy, ur a psychic..since it was a feature article

Jason

*Cue freaky X-Files music* So - how come you knew? - or, more to the point, how come we didn't? :confused:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
This thread weirds me out (unless you played with your clock and the times ...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)