Federal Election May 18 (2 Viewers)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
How did the polls get it so wrong?!

This is like 2016 US election blunder level
To be fair Hilary did win the popular vote. Had a suspicion that Liberals would win given how unpopular Shorten is, and retirees weren't so keen on Labors plans in relation to franking credits.

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
I feel our generation (18-25) are really overreacting in the sense that we are doomed that the Liberals won. I don't think any of the liberals policies are that bad.

People are acting like climate change is the only important thing that we have to think about.

sida1049

HSC
I feel our generation (18-25) are really overreacting in the sense that we are doomed that the Liberals won. I don't think any of the liberals policies are that bad.
Sure, but you can say that about almost anything. For example, take a look at this horrific defense of the Alabama abortion bill.

People are acting like climate change is the only important thing that we have to think about.
Kind of a big problem, tho. When you put things in the perspective of the long term (15-20+ years), most issues and policies at the centre of the election pales in comparison. We're gonna be the ones living in the long term, unfortunately. And if we choose to have kids, then the consequences are even more severe in their lifetime.

But of course, people don't currently live in the long term - they live in the coming financial year.

Eh.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
To be fair Hilary did win the popular vote. Had a suspicion that Liberals would win given how unpopular Shorten is, and retirees weren't so keen on Labors plans in relation to franking credits.
I don’t think Shorten’s popularity made a huge difference tbh.

If we cast our minds back to the 2012 election we had a similar situation where Kevin Rudd just (revenge) rolled Julia Gillard and was up against Tony Abbott. Rudd was clearly more popular than Abbott yet the LNP won - which many commentators attributed to Labor’s repeated leadership spills.

Most people thought that type of scenario in 2012 would repeat itself in this election. This is why the poll numbers seemed to make sense.

I read some commentary on what happened in QLD and it seemed that both Liberal and Labor votes were down around 1% compared to the 2016 election (where Liberals started from a higher base). However, those votes instead went to One Nation and UAP, who directed preferences to the Liberals.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

The problem is that every attempt so far at implementing effective climate change policy in Australia has failed.

The closest we got was a carbon price implemented under Gillard, which then got repealed under Abbott. The NEG was another close call but ended up getting dumped amongst the recent leadership spill.

Quite frankly this lack of a meaningful climate change policy has frustrated so many young voters and even businesses (who generally align to Liberal) are demanding a proper policy. This frustration (especially as more and more countries leap ahead of Australia with their own climate change policies) is why climate change is becoming an increasingly prevalent issue on voter’s and politician’s minds.

Going into this election, everyone knew that Labor’s climate change policy would be far more effective at reducing emissions than the Liberal’s plan.

For many, this election was a chance to get meaningful climate change action. It seemed so tantalisingly close because Labor was expected to win. Unfortunately, it was not to be. After so many years and attempts, once again we are still stuck without an effective climate change policy.

Basically, history suggests that stepping up on climate change policy is political suicide. The longer this drags on, the more costly it will become for the next generation.

That’s pretty much why young voters are annoyed...

Last edited:

MrSir

HSC
N/A
How did the polls get it so wrong?!

This is like 2016 US election blunder level
Probably one reason tne polls got it wrong because maybe other people like me gave misleading information about who I would vote for and didn’t give a definitive answer

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Probably one reason tne polls got it wrong because maybe other people like me gave misleading information about who I would vote for and didn’t give a definitive answer
That wouldn’t explain why polls in the past were pretty close (at least picking the right winner)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Even before the polls, I’ve always thought that the polls are inherently biased in their sample because the sample that they can poll already are part of a certain segment of the population (i.e. those who are willing and able to be polled), and hence they are not representative of the full population (i.e. everyone who has to vote even those who don’t want to be polled or don’t care). I’ve gotten calls from those polls before with voicemails/etc and I never respond, and I’m a conservative liberal voter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)