feedback on my related texts and ideas pleasee!! (1 Viewer)

minty388

HSC
Hi all,

Finally have gotten around to choosing related texts, linking them to the poems (havent decided my thesis, but with the idea of cultural belonging/not belonging, or barriers in society impinge on the necessity to belong),

Any feedback/advice would be GREATLY appreciated, am feeling kind of swamped at the moment!!!

Prescribed text is Peter Skryznecki

Was thinking

Chinese Cinderella
Anzac Day (short story in asian in australia)
we are going (oodgeroo noonuccal)
does my head look big in this
looking for alibrandi

or something like that

any feedback??

Thank a bunchxx

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I haven't heard of Chinese Cinderlla. Your description of Anzac Day makes it seem as if it's a good text.

The other three are just crap for HSC level of analysis. Looking For Alibrandi was former HSC, so it may be 'looked down upon'.

minty388

HSC
Chinese Cinderella is about a girl (obviously in China) whose mother died when she was born. her family expected a boy and when she came out, and her mother died, she was sort of shunned from the family

anzac day is really short, but it is about an asian guy who played the bagpipes in an anzac day parade. his face was used in a documentary as a still shot, with the caption 'True Blue??'

any other suggestions for texts?

pjiggy

HSC
Hi all,

idea of cultural belonging/not belonging, or barriers in society impinge on the necessity to belong),
a REALLY REALLY good related text which really fits your thesis well is a short story by Linda Leung called "Inside an Outsider".Basically about a Chinese teenager who wants to form her own identity( as in "belong to herself" so to say) but both her Asian culture and the Australian society she lives in are forcing her to conform to their own rules. So she's getting pulled both ways.Her mother wants her to succumb to traditional Asian customs but the Australian society in which she resides has a different set of rules set out for her.
Great text.
:D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Chinese Cinderella is about a girl (obviously in China) whose mother died when she was born. her family expected a boy and when she came out, and her mother died, she was sort of shunned from the family

anzac day is really short, but it is about an asian guy who played the bagpipes in an anzac day parade. his face was used in a documentary as a still shot, with the caption 'True Blue??'

I'd recommend looking in the Belonging Related Text Suggestions thread (pinned in the Belonging forum). Some key texts which are somewhat original, good textual value, and rarely used include Things Fall Apart, The Power of One, and Kite Runner. :)

minty388

HSC
a REALLY REALLY good related text which really fits your thesis well is a short story by Linda Leung called "Inside an Outsider".Basically about a Chinese teenager who wants to form her own identity( as in "belong to herself" so to say) but both her Asian culture and the Australian society she lives in are forcing her to conform to their own rules. So she's getting pulled both ways.Her mother wants her to succumb to traditional Asian customs but the Australian society in which she resides has a different set of rules set out for her.
Great text.
:D
that sounds exactly what I am looking for!! Where can I find it?

pjiggy

HSC
that sounds exactly what I am looking for!! Where can I find it?
i think its in an anthology of stories in a book called "Who do you think you are?"(not sure if thats the title,cant remember) but its like really hard to find..ill scan it for you and put it up here if you want =)

xLilith

HSC
Chinese Cinderella

I have no idea why you even considered this when you said you wanted to draw parallels to the belonging of culture shown in the Immigrant Chronicles. This book pretty much details the authors problems with getting along with her remaining family.

I've never read it but from what's in the bracket, sounds fine.

After quickly reading the poem myself, I see why it's on your list but I don't think it's ideal. It seems easy to analyse in some parts but there isn't much content to go on.

Yeah, about that, no. This is more about a girl trying to fit in with what she believes is societies expectations whilst also keeping her culture, while similiar to Peter Skryznecki's work, the main character has the choice and she makes it. It's not really her trying to fit in culture-wise.

looking for alibrandi

In all honesty, choosing this one would be a failing because it's expected that a lot of people will also do so. That and the fact that it was also a HSC book.

Last edited:

minty388

HSC
i think its in an anthology of stories in a book called "Who do you think you are?"(not sure if thats the title,cant remember) but its like really hard to find..ill scan it for you and put it up here if you want =)
that would be fantastic if you could do that!! thank you so much

minty388

HSC
Chinese Cinderella

I have no idea why you even considered this when you said you wanted to draw parallels to the belonging of culture shown in the Immigrant Chronicles. This book pretty much details the authors problems with getting along with her remaining family.

I've never read it but from what's in the bracket, sounds fine.

After quickly reading the poem myself, I see why it's on your list but I don't think it's ideal. It seems easy to analyse in some parts but there isn't much content to go on.

Yeah, about that, no. This is more about a girl trying to fit in with what she believes is societies expectations whilst also keeping her culture, while similiar to Peter Skryznecki's work, the main character has the choice and she makes it. It's not really her trying to fit in culture-wise.

looking for alibrandi

In all honesty, choosing this one would be a failing because it's expected that a lot of people will also do so. That and the fact that it was also a HSC book.
brutal, but helpful
thanks

Meepo

HSC

I havnt seen the movie but i believe Chinese Cinderella it sounds like a good related text (similar to Lars & The Real Girl: Lars mother died while giving birth to him) according to your discription. It covers the concept of Isolation, alienation, relationship, acceptance, exclusion and shows disconnection with the family. I'm guessing in the end they accepted her in the family and accepted for who she is? I think it's possible to link this to Immigrant Chronicle. However i believe Anzac Day be a better text, it shows alot of connections between this related text and your prescribed according to the names and description.

Last edited:

minty388

HSC
hey
ohmigosh
i thought i replied to you email
thank you so much!! it is a perfect related texts, has lots to go on! (conflicting perspectives, challenges to belong etc.)
thank you sooo much :)

rena93

HSC
N/A
hi, just wondering can i also have a copy of the "Inside an Insider" story by Linda Leung? It fits the english topic i'm doing now also, it would be a great help if you can. :)
thankss

saranghaeyo

HSC
Hey would it be possible to send it to me also please? =)

danii3433

HSC
pjiggy could you please send that short story of inside an outsider to me PLEASE!! I am trying to use as related text for belonging! I'd really appreciate your help!!

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
pjiggy could you please send that short story of inside an outsider to me PLEASE!! I am trying to use as related text for belonging! I'd really appreciate your help!!
Yeah, you r gonna get heaps of help from someone who left this forum 4 yrs ago...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)