feeling confused..... (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i feel weird and confused because everyone else has to go enrollment day and stuff.....
where as unsw people just sit on their arse and doesn't do anything except signing up online lol

am i missing something? am i meant to go somewhere

TheKey

HSC
im compleatly with redslert, i am still feeling like im forgetting something, like that first part enrolment and $250 is all done, but what now..

a tip for 2005 enrolment, they should have a sign on the top syaing "Dont Panic, you have enroled and nothing can go wrong now", not "you did this part, but rember you are not actually enroled untill you complete some 2nd part.."

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well u can goto the numerous Faculty advising sessions
I kno the Faculty of Commerce and Economics has an advising day about subjects, majors etc in early Feb - about the same time as online enrollment opens

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
THIS is a really stupid system, lazy asses(like me) could just enroll to stuff that I know nothing about and get screwed. I'm going to the adversy day but not everyone I know is and some dont know whats happening and are just aimlessly selecting subjects . And yes redslert it seems i'm doing something wroing aswell, such a good reputation uni cant possilibly have such a cheap system (dont even let you go back, WHY??)

sunny

meh.
HSC
This is a really good system!!!

Theres just no one single source of information of everything - if you've dived in a tried to do it without and prior reading, chances are you'll do it wrong.

Enrolment can be varied up until the HECS census date, so you can go back.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Sunny whats the chance of me actually seeing you at the uni? and your doing Comp Science with an avater of a person banging their head on the desk, this is not giving me alot of confidence and conviction. And the fact that last yrs UAI cut off was 85 gives a me a feeling of no being able to excell in the course, even though I tired really hard in the HSC. I studied 45minutes on all weekdays, relaxed on the weekends and hoildays and did 10 hours before the HSC.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
UAI cut-off is certainly no indication of how hard the course is.

yoshi

Originally posted by Snapwizard
Sunny whats the chance of me actually seeing you at the uni? and your doing Comp Science with an avater of a person banging their head on the desk, this is not giving me alot of confidence and conviction.
LOL. Sunny is a good bloke and is very good with computers (a bit too good... note to self: kill sunny before next comp class).

You probably won't have to change your study schedule or whatever for uni. Honestly guys don't get freaked out you'll be ok. The level of difficulty is similar or a bit more, it's the workload that hits you harder!

But there are always plenty of places to get help.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Yeah and I need alota help cause I'm not good with computer (in the programming department) nor do I like the sound of increase workload. Ps I only did 12 units in high school HSC so I dont like the sound of people telling me to pick 60 units, these units better be like 5 minutes per week. Ps Sunny sounds like and nice guy.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
PS I'm a nice asain guy too, but I need more of a life a get off thei forum, but then i'll get totally confused about what uni is going to be like. From Yr 7-12 every one said, quote "Uni is a 24/7 orgy" end quote, but now its seems like such a trun off *sigh* I'll try to kick myself in the ass for putting my prefrences in the wrong way and getting into comp science. ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! For emphsis only lolz

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
Sunny whats the chance of me actually seeing you at the uni? and your doing Comp Science with an avater of a person banging their head on the desk, this is not giving me alot of confidence and conviction. And the fact that last yrs UAI cut off was 85 gives a me a feeling of no being able to excell in the course, even though I tired really hard in the HSC. I studied 45minutes on all weekdays, relaxed on the weekends and hoildays and did 10 hours before the HSC.
hehehe chances are you'll run into me and others sometime, its bound to happen. Ragerunner is right, even though the cut off is a low 85, its no indication of the quality of the course - and I think that you get one of the best lecturers and people doing computer science (like people with 99.95 UAI)

Units in the HSC and units in uni are different...I did 12units in the HSC as well, so don't get freaked out by that.

yoshi - you don't like me after andrewt put my name down on the postcodes assignment email do you? :D

And yoshi is right about the work too....it comes faster and harder at you. Uni can be however you like it to be - if people tell you its a '24/7 orgy' then thats probably because they don't do most or any of the work - and you can choose to do that if you want (not that I'd recommend it). You can choose to work flat out to get everything done as well. Bottom line is it won't be like high school where you're told to work.

If you really want more help for uni (but not academic stuff), I suggest you sign up for the CSE mentoring program.

Don't worry about the programming - computer science is taught without assuming prior programming experience - as a matter of fact, non programmers might actually be better off than experienced programmers because of the type of work taught in first session!

Last edited:

yoshi

Originally posted by sunny
yoshi - you don't like me after andrewt put my name down on the postcodes assignment email do you? :D
*grin* I remember that assignment with avengeance! I tried to do all this shape-detection and line-thickness fancy stuff. My mate did an image-comparison thing (which sounded hella easier) and ran away with the marks :( Granted, I started the assignment the day it was due :x

Originally posted by sunny
as a matter of fact, non programmers might actually be better off than experienced programmers because of the type of work taught in first session!
Yea, functional programming will require a big mindshift from programmers used to OO/procedural languages. Non-programming types will still find it confusing but at least it will make you feel better when the programming geeks are having a hard time too :)

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Back again , I've just went through the coda thing and it had my marks on the hsc and recommanded courses for me to do, is there any harm in following that? And there seems so be different drgrees of math and physics you can choose from, when you graduate, if you did a lower standard in math physics or programming is your degree worth less then people who did a higher standards on math , physics and programming?

sunny

meh.
HSC
No, there is no difference. Just as you get your HSC Certificate regardless of what subjects you've done.

If you are only several marks off certain things, you might settle for the higher version (except for maths, since you don't like it) at enrolment and ask them to enrol you for the higher version.

Especially for Higher Computing (COMP1711) - anyone whose done this will recommended it to you - you get the best lecturer and content in this course!

I did normal maths in both sessions (MATH1131 and MATH1141), Higher Physics (PHYS1131) and Discrete Maths (MATH1081) in session 1, Higher Computing (COMP1711 and COMP1721) in both sessions, Computer Information Systems (INFS1602) and Electrical Engineering (ELEC1011) in session 2.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Hec might just give math a go, thanks anyways, but souldnt you spend more of your time studing?

sunny

meh.
HSC
You mean now? Uni doesn't start till March 1st.

If you don't like the higher versions, you can always drop down - but do it quickly in the first several weeks if you want to.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Hahaha it a funny thing when I got my UAI and compared to everyone it seemed really low and i felt like a disgrace to Asains but then I heard how much the people who got 90+ really studies, seems like they do 3-5 hours a day during the hsc compared to my 45 minutes, with that comparasion I would have got a UAI of 333.2-555.3, lol that doesnt seem right let me recalculate lol.
Another interesting thing was my best 2 units were Stuidies of ReligionII and being an Athiest that seemed really odd to me aswell, maybe its all the BS i wrote in the hsc that impressed the markers cause what it wrote had no real truth, makes you think dosnt it, and that fact that I thought I ripprd physics in the HSC but only managed a low band 4 really pissed me off, especially when I spent like the most time on it and it didnt even count to my UAI. I would have screamed but I'm a man. lolz:D But I'm happy with what I got considering the work I put into the HSC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)