• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

fellowship of the ring (1 Viewer)

Jessie C

HSC
i need help with filmic techniques in the fellowship of the ring, and anything else you got on it for a speech

Draperrepard

HSC
Jessie C said:
i need help with filmic techniques in the fellowship of the ring, and anything else you got on it for a speech
im doin that for a speech. gimme an email on kharntitan@hotmail with ur email n ill write u out a whole bunch. i got heaps

Hedgy

HSC
Try how frodo flees from the ringwraiths chasing him from the shire, which is a journey away from the persuction.
He knows not where he is going, nor the foe that chasing him.

he shows a hero courage @ wethertop etc.

Visual techniques hmm
Anaylyse the scene where he almost gets trampled by a horse while journeying to bree, compare how small he looks compared to the horses etc

Last edited:

Hedgy

HSC
The Fellowship of the ring follows Frodo Baggins, a hobbit from the shire, on a journey, fleeing the persecution he fears the “One ring” imposes on the fate of middle earth in the hands of the enemies of the free races.

Sometimes, an journey of epic proportions requires an reluctant hero. Distance shots of the lush, green surroundings, juxtaposed with the harsh, foul, images of the Barud-Dor tower, contrast how a decision to undertake a journey can lead oneself to opposite ends of the earth.

Apprehension in partaking in the journey is conveyed, by actor’s movements and speech, when Frodo gestures for “Gandalf , you take it, take it, I’m giving it to you”

Apprehension is part of a normal human emotion, when preparing to undertake a journey that may be physically dangerous. For this, we sympathise with the hobbit at the choices he must make.

There are many choice in life and it’s the choices “Its what’s to-do with the time that’s given to us, that’s important” that are important

Frodo, after conquering the apprehension, like a true hero, makes the first step towards the path of his journey. This is symbolised as Frodo grabs a walking stick, before leaving his cosy home, slipping into the night.
A Fade out from this scene, conveys that the decision to embark on this journey has been made, that’s he’s conquered the apprehension and a new chapter in the tale is beginning.

Extreme long shots, conveying the company alongside dark, overhanging trees and overgrown borders of the shire, as Gandalf, who appears much taller than the two hobbits, Frodo and Sam, leaves with haste, represents that they are very much alone to cross the first threshold of the paths in their journey., even though they have companionship in each other.

Diagetic sound of hooves as Gandalf leaves the company and a startled crow’s fluttering
Add to the sense of immediacy. This is followed by a quick circular pan, of the companions and their surroundings. This highlights the dark misty path that awaits them.

Use of film techniques have conveyed to me personally how anyone, regardless of stature, or environment, can take those first steps , strongly into the path of an epic journey. It’s on this personal level, by making the responder sympathise with the unlikely hero that this film is able to speak to us and shape our understanding of an epic adventurous journey, and how anyone who is able to take those steps are able to find themselves, becoming the same unlikely hero, Frodo felt himself as!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)