Feminist and Marxist King Lear Movies (1 Viewer)

buzzspree

HSC
Hi! Does anyone know of a film version of King Lear that is deeply rooted in feminism or at least will have a lot of feminist arguements in it? I have the Russian version for marxism or does anyone know of a more appropriate version? Thanks in advance for your help!

udzzz

HSC
ive never seen it before but my older sister says queen lear is a good one...where all the roles are reveresed :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
the russian one is the best one for marxism that I've ever come across. It is exceptionally easy to do a feminist interpretation of Eyre's version, even though its primary purpose was to explore a domestic interpretation. Doing a feminist interpretation can be difficult - you need to make sure you have a good understanding of what feminist critics aim to do. A feminist interpretation does not necessarily have to show women in power as 'Queen Lear' does: it aims to challenge the idea that women cannot be trusted with power as they are open to corruption and the source of all evil/chaos. this attitude is prevalent in shakespeare's works. Look for productions that show Goneril and Reagan in a sympathetic light: steer away from anything like a christian interpretation. good luck.

LMV

HSC
Hey Silvermoon, what's this Russian version of King Lear??

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
oh, god, mental blank.
I think it's Grigori Kozintsev in...uh, 1969? but I could be wrong - it's been a while!! if you ask your teacher, they might know - or just someone on the board. Kozintsev's film was a marxist interpretation (or 'christian-marxist' depending on who you read), but there have been others, so I could be getting my director's confused

130988thomps

HSC
Hi, You might be able to draw something from a film called "Ran"by kurosawa. It's an 80's movie set in a mythic japanese samurai culture. The wife of the eldest son is sometimes described as the most ruthless woman portrayed in cinema :p she's insane.. very manipulative and powerful..

130988thomps

HSC
Silvermoon - would you be able to send me to any links on the Eyre production?

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
I'm pretty sure for Kozintsev's Russian production was mentioned for Marxist already but that's a good one.

For feminist, the best would be Miller's BBC version of King Lear.
Also, if you can get (a very rare) copy of Piggot's Sydney Production of king lear, this is great for a feminist reading... alot of modern dramatic techniques which reflect some very misogynistic representations of women which are relevant to fem readings..

btw.. when doing your essay make sure you don't mention filmic techniques. Shakespeare wrote plays, so mention only dramatic techniques!

jcka89

HSC
i am so freaked! i don't even know the context of Kozintsev =( help

ashwingeojames

HSC
i saw this really good film in class that showed a feminist perspective of king lear. it was all about the daughters and it was sort of contemporary. it also had small segments of interviews with the girls to see how they felt. great help for me. the girls were always in the light and the guys were all in shadow and stuff. cant remember what it was called though. sorry:music::bomb::rudolf::rofl::burn::confused::jedi::haha::santa::headbang::wave::spzz::eek::monkey::chainsaw::shoot::jaw::spam::hammer::guitar::evilfire::D:spin:

cayla

HSC
a thousand acres gives you the background behind the girls hatred you actually feel sorry for them plus its a modern movie so it real easy to study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)