fermentation (1 Viewer)

facility

HSC
hey. i've looked every where. i'm getting so confused. :(
i need to know why fermentation is classified as a biological process.
i'm not sure why. some things say its fungi and others bacteria and others enzymes...
please help

bored of sc

HSC
It's a biological process because the yeast enzymes required to catalyse the reaction are living organisms. I think.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
But... I'm pretty sure that yeast is a single-cell eukaryote, which means that it's strictly not an animal. :p
Yeast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends on the strain, but from my limited bio knowledge anything that grows, reproduces and respires is a living organism. Thus yeast are living orgianisms :)

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong; as i said my bio knowledge is limited XD

MetroMattums

HSC
Enzymes require oxygen to sustain their life, and so are biological organisms.

Hence, fermentation is a biological process.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Yeast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends on the strain, but from my limited bio knowledge anything that grows, reproduces and respires is a living organism. Thus yeast are living orgianisms :)

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong; as i said my bio knowledge is limited XD
You are absolutely correct that yeast is a living organism! :)

What I was being pedantic about earlier (and apparently still am :p) is that a living organism does not necessarily have to be an animal, although the reverse is true, as animals are a subclass of living organisms.

Yeast is a unicellular living organism that is classified as a fungus, so strictly speaking it's not an animal. :)

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
fermentation is a biological process as it uses an enzyme (biological catalyst; ie yeast) in order to convert glucose or sugars into ethanol and water.

@ metro mattums, yeast is anaeobic, meaning it doesnt use oxygen to respire, thats why fermentation is carried out in the abscense of oxygen

hope this helps =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)