Few questions... (1 Viewer)

RHINO7

HSC
Hello, i am considering going to university of western sydney and studying history, politics and philisophy. I have the arts 2008 book and was wondering how many units you can do, it says you have to do more than 6? Are all classes lectures or do you have a similar class as high school? Does this university have a soccer team?

THANKS>

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I have no idea about units for Arts...try the handbook http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=1604

I assume the structure for the arts subjects would be lecture/tutorial. Lectures are pretty much just a teacher in front of a few hundred students talking. They can be boring and the quality of the lecturers does vary. The presentation style would depend on the content and the lecturer. E.g. in macroeconomics the guy gets away with just talking. This is different to my accounting subject where the lecturer engages with the class more so than the previous guy as the subject has a practical element to it.
Again, the tutorials vary depending on what the unit coordinator wants to happen in them. Sometimes the tutorial may be dedicated to going through the weeks reading and answering questions, other times it might be a test or presentations every week.

Not sure about the soccer team thing but seeing the diversity of the Parra campus would lead me to assume it wouldn't be a difficult task getting one together if there isn't.

http://www.uwsconnect.com.au/sport/clubs.aspx

RHINO7

HSC
So when you apply for the universities (9 preferences) do you have to put down the overall course (bachelor of arts) or do you have to put the actual name of the course= Bachelor of Arts (Pathway to Teaching Secondary)?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
You just have to put down the UAC number for the overall course unless each major is allocated a different UAC course code.

For UWS Arts you have:

B Arts
University of Western Sydney - Bankstown

B Arts
University of Western Sydney - Penrith

http://www4.uac.edu.au/wap/uac8.aspx?method=exact&keywords=arts&course_code=&uais=&university=University+of+Western+Sydney&submit=%A0%A0Search%A0%A0

B Arts at UWS Bankstown no matter what major you're going for is 700425 and you'll be able to choose your major when you actually accept the offer from UWS.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
RHINO7 said:
Are all classes lectures or do you have a similar class as high school? Does this university have a soccer team?
Classes are usually Lectures (around 100- up to around 400 people) and Tutorials (around 25 people per class similar to HS)

And if you go to Penrith campus, its practically a giant soccer field scattered with buildings:D

RHINO7

HSC
Does western sydney have a good reputation?, within other universities and in the general public?

Ademir

HSC
RHINO7 said:
Does western sydney have a good reputation?, within other universities and in the general public?
No, not really. In fact it's pretty stigmatised.

That's not to say that it's bad or won't get you a good education; but it's not considered as prestigious as the other universities in Sydney.

If you want to do History, or anything humanities related, why don't you apply for USYD? It's considered 5th in the world for arts and humanities, and from what I hear the campus life is excellent so there would probably be soccer teams too. The cutoff for B Arts at USYD is 83.00 so it's not too bad either.

Matt Samson

HSC
RHINO7 said:
No it doesn't. Even Charles Sturt University has a better reputation than the University of Western Sydney. And I am not saying that because I go to CSU, it is just a general perception.

I saw in a forum posting that you wanted to do Journalism. Why don't you put Charles Sturt University Bathurst down as a preference? CSU has one of the best journalism degrees in Australia.

It isn't hard to move to CSU either, many students adapt very quickly and settle in. Plus, its only a 2 hour drive away from Sydney so it isn't that far away. If you don't have a car, then its only a 3 hour train trip that only costs $17 each way.

Check this out: http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/communication_journalism/

Now to get back to UWS's reputation. It probably isn't a bad university, but with everything in Western Sydney, it has the "Westie" reputation attached to it. Whoever chose the name for the university should be strung up. They should have chose a generic name instead of using Western Sydney.

I fully understand the stigma attached to everything in Western Sydney. I did live in Blacktown and did attend Doonside Technology High School. I feel for you all.

:)

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Matt Samson said:
No it doesn't. Even Charles Sturt University has a better reputation than the University of Western Sydney. And I am not saying that because I go to CSU, it is just a general perception.

I saw in a forum posting that you wanted to do Journalism. Why don't you put Charles Sturt University Bathurst down as a preference? CSU has one of the best journalism degrees in Australia.

It isn't hard to move to CSU either, many students adapt very quickly and settle in. Plus, its only a 2 hour drive away from Sydney so it isn't that far away. If you don't have a car, then its only a 3 hour train trip that only costs $17 each way.

Check this out: http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/communication_journalism/

Now to get back to UWS's reputation. It probably isn't a bad university, but with everything in Western Sydney, it has the "Westie" reputation attached to it. Whoever chose the name for the university should be strung up. They should have chose a generic name instead of using Western Sydney.

I fully understand the stigma attached to everything in Western Sydney. I did live in Blacktown and did attend Doonside Technology High School. I feel for you all.

:)
Lol...yeah UWS has nothing on CSU...UWS has a medical school and law school...but you guys have your prestigious Bachelor of Wine Business and that coveted jewelry arts major. If that doesn't scream 'respected learning institution' I don't know what does.

However, if CSU had the course B Vet Sci/B Vet Bio in a reasonable location I'd love to do it

Matt Samson

HSC
ari89 said:
Lol...yeah UWS has nothing on CSU...UWS has a medical school and law school...but you guys have your prestigious Bachelor of Wine Business and that coveted jewelry arts major. If that doesn't scream 'respected learning institution' I don't know what does.

However, if CSU had the course B Vet Sci/B Vet Bio in a reasonable location I'd love to do it
CSU will have a School of Medicine soon, it is an evolving process. We're finally getting a school of dentistry, so I suppose the next step after the school of dentistry is built will be a school of medicine.

I think they have dumped the Jewelry course.

At my campus at CSU (which is Bathurst), the most pretigious course would be the Journalism degree.

I was at one stage considering UWS to do economics but I decided I really didn't want to live in Western Sydney anymore!

But I have always thought, if the University of Western Sydney rebranded itself with a different name, it could benefit it a lot. I mean Macquarie University isn't exactly in an exclusive area of Sydney, but the name makes it sound more than it really is.

Perhaps you could lobby to have the name changed to something else.

Last edited:

kerfuffle

HSC
Read (on Wikipedia) that it was to be called Chifley University by the NSW Labor Government, until the Liberal Government that succeeded them renamed it University of Western Sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)