Fight Club > Retreat from the Global (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Has anybody watched "Fight Club" and analysed it in relation to Retreat from the Global? Cos I wanna use it for an assessment but I can't think of much 'global' and 'local' in it.... help me out a little please :D

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
I don't really know where to start.

I guess you could talk on the influences that would have sent him schitzo. Also the ending and the whole blowing up the credit places would be real good. You could go into detail on the possibilities that might have.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yes - Jack's alter ego (you should know this if you've watched the movie) is his "retreat from the global". Also, the whole thing about "fight club" is the men's "retreat from the global" in a way - it's a place where they can get back to their basic, animalistic nature.
Also, the whole thing about bombing the world's credit card companies represent's Tyler's longing for everyone to "retreat". At least, I think it is. Help me out here.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
K so does that mean that we talk about the techniques they use to portray "global" & "local" personalities of the characters and stuff? Like I mean.. what would you make of their chicken fight bets?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by InfiniteQ
K so does that mean that we talk about the techniques they use to portray "global" & "local" personalities of the characters and stuff? Like I mean.. what would you make of their chicken fight bets?
Chicken fight bets? Whats that? Thats not fight club.
I think in Ext 1 you focus on concept not language.

Originally posted by e s k i m o
nancy?
Hi kevin

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by BaByDoLL11^^

Chicken fight bets? Whats that? Thats not fight club.
I think in Ext 1 you focus on concept not language.

Ok maybe it wans't chicken fights... it was people fighting bets... I can't remember :p
So we write a whole essay on the concept that the texts bring about but don't we have to show *how* they bring the concept about as well?

wednesday

one of our english teachers said that it is international year of the how and that you have to include how things are done if you want the marks

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
Thats a load of bull.

They've modelled the new HSC aroung two things:

WHAT &

HOW

Thats probably what she is getting at.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Well, my extension exam was yesterday.

The first one was about Seamus Heaney - write a speech directed at year 12 students studying RFTG, talking about how the concept of RFTG can be related to Heaney's poetry.

The second question was The Shipping News and one related text, mine was Fight Club. The question was an essay - "What characteristics of the global world necessitates a retreat in some individuals? What are the consequences of the retreat? Relate this to how this is shown in your text." And yeah, it was 2 hours altogether.

I think we were meant to talk about language features, but I focussed on concept... =/

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
God, we got The Sipping news for the next part of our study. How was it. I've only read through the book once.

I was also told not to watch the movie. Kevin Spacey can't pull off Quole apparently.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bookboy18
God, we got The Sipping news for the next part of our study. How was it. I've only read through the book once.

I was also told not to watch the movie. Kevin Spacey can't pull off Quole apparently.
Yeah... well I read the book, I kinda.. well I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't dislike it. It was better than Seamus Heaney. I think it was because it was set in contemporary times similar (sorta) to us - early 90's Canada.

I recommend reading the book a few times through. At first there's a few bits that you wont get, but then you read the book through again and you understand.

There's some pretty good notes on it at sparknotes.com, but it's an American site so the notes are just general literary notes, not related to RFTG.

If you need anything, ask me and I'll be happy to explain or try to help. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)