Fiji instead of Bali (1 Viewer)

Dustin_z

HSC
I have had to morally change my schoolies plans with the support of those that were going to Bali with me.

We're no longer going to Bali because we don't want to support that place. We cant tell the Indonesians what to do, but we can use whatever resorces we have in order to protest against them.

Indonesia relies on outside money. That nation cannot function without foreigners going there. Me and my friends have decided that we will use this tool that we have and not go to that Island for schoolies.

We don't hate the people of Bali, but it is the people of Bali and Indonesia in general that hold the keys in regards to Shapelle Corby. They now live in a democracy and they elect their Government which inturn makes laws and selects Judges in Indonesian Courts of Law. The only way Australians can register their protest is by doing this.

I hope others who were planning on going to Bali reconsider their positions. Fiji is a really nice place and I have been there before.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Excellent. Now you'll make the poor people of Bali (ie. not the government or the authorities - they have PLENTY of money) suffer even more. Great logic.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm going to Bali in June, and I will definately be going back in the future.

I feel sorry for you. You believe everything that the media tells you, and that is unfortunate. Schapelle Corby is just as guilty as all the other Australians who have been and are still in Indonesian prisons. Do you know about any of them, of course not.

I'm no longer going to be annoyed at people who still think she is innocent. Instead I feel sorry for everyone who still believe she isn't guilty because they are clearly stupid and ignorant.

And just so you know. Indonesia doesn't so much rely on outside money. They can still function without tourists. All you are doing is hurting Bali and the people who live there. It doesn't effect Indonesia as a whole. What you are doing is useless.

Dustin_z

HSC
I have done more than watch the Media in regards to the Corby case.

1. The prosecutors witness was a customs officer at Bali airport. His evidence was accepted even though it was pretty flimsy

2. The bag of marijuana (not the boogie board bag) was not fingerprinted. The police failed to rule out another party.

3. All the defense witnesses were not accepted.

Its also worth noting that there was a case a few years ago where an Australian couple travelled to Bali. Upon arival to their hotel in Bali, they found an 'exportable' amount of marijuana in their luggage. They contacted the Australian Consulate in Bali to seek advice. They were told to flush it down the toilet.

To anyone that thinks Corby is guilty, I would like to know what they would think if this 'couple' was caught, tried and found guilty? Would they think the same?

DFAT confirms Bali drug flushing advice:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1363627.htm

Dustin_z

HSC
Wesnat said:
Excellent. Now you'll make the poor people of Bali (ie. not the government or the authorities - they have PLENTY of money) suffer even more. Great logic.
Well where are the people of Bali in regards to this case? Why should I or anyone support them when they won't even demand a change to their justice system that does go against the most basic humans rights:

-----

Universal Declaration of Human Rights (U.N. 1948):

Article 11.

(1) Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.​

-----

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Dustin_z said:
I have done more than watch the Media in regards to the Corby case.

1. The prosecutors witness was a customs officer at Bali airport. His evidence was accepted even though it was pretty flimsy

2. The bag of marijuana (not the boogie board bag) was not fingerprinted. The police failed to rule out another party.

3. All the defense witnesses were not accepted.
1. There as more than 1 customs officer. I think there was a second customs officer and a further 2 airport police.

2. If it was fingerprinted and her prints were not on it that doesn't mean she is innocent. She could have used gloves, could have wiped off prints with a towel. And if someone elses prints were on it, that doesn't mean she is innocent either. Someone else could have easily touched the plastic bag before the drugs were put in it.

3. They accepted hearsay testimony from that guy from an Australian jail, I don't think they could of gone much further.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Dustin_z said:
Well where are the people of Bali in regards to this case? Why should I or anyone support them when they won't even demand a change to their justice system that does go against the most basic humans rights:

-----

Universal Declaration of Human Rights (U.N. 1948):

Article 11.

(1) Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.​

-----

It does not go against basic human rights. Once possession is proven then the defense must prove she is innocent. It is not a violation of this right, just a different system. And Indonesia is not the only place in the world with this system.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
I find your point of view that the people of Bali has some fault in Corby's sentence appaling. To them, Corby is just another one of those hundreds of foreigners who are charged of drug-trafficking. Corby's defense cannot proof her innocence. She's basically just saying, "it's in my bag. I didn't do it". This is not sufficient. The judges based their decision on facts, not on gut-feelings.

HSC
Dustin_z said:
I have had to morally change my schoolies plans with the support of those that were going to Bali with me.

We're no longer going to Bali because we don't want to support that place. We cant tell the Indonesians what to do, but we can use whatever resorces we have in order to protest against them.

Indonesia relies on outside money. That nation cannot function without foreigners going there. Me and my friends have decided that we will use this tool that we have and not go to that Island for schoolies.

We don't hate the people of Bali, but it is the people of Bali and Indonesia in general that hold the keys in regards to Shapelle Corby. They now live in a democracy and they elect their Government which inturn makes laws and selects Judges in Indonesian Courts of Law. The only way Australians can register their protest is by doing this.

I hope others who were planning on going to Bali reconsider their positions. Fiji is a really nice place and I have been there before.
That's right. We'll blackmail them and punish those bastards for putting a white Australian behind bars. We won't stop until they're all in Australian jails, especially that judge, what would he know about democracy and justice?

Only then will Bali be a paradise for everyone. Provided you're white.

*insert lots more sarcasm here*

*and here*

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Besides, this is the travelling board. Don't lure politics into it, and invite people like me to post.

Reconsidering going to Bali or not because of the case is up to individual's own opinion. But to create a topic to invite people to do the same is pointless. You're wasting your time (and I'm wasting mine).

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
hm ive never considered going to bali
but now..if this means people wont go
then i will have it all to myself

if only

HSC
Anyway, back to the topic of Schoolies.

I hear Bali is a beautiful place. Lots of beach and cheap drugs.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
whiterabbit said:
Anyway, back to the topic of Schoolies.

I hear Bali is a beautiful place. Lots of beach and cheap drugs.
Lots of cheap drugs if you want to buy from an undercover cop and either give them a huge bribe or join Schapelle in jail.

It's good for schoolies because alcohol is cheap and you don't need to be 18 to get it. You can walk around the street drinking and no one cares because everyone else does it. There is no too drunk limit at the pubs and clubs as far as I am aware, if you have money they will keep giving you alcohol. The pools have bars aswell thats pretty good. And everywhere has happy hours at different times so you just go round from place to place.

chilipepper

scentless apprentice
HSC
Dustin_z said:

how do the people of bali hold the keys to schapelle corby?U dont see ordinary australians stepping up to howard and making him change laws doya?are all the people of bali responsible for their governments actions. Thats like saying all the australians are responsible for the wrongly deported immigrants because the government had won a majority of votes. Ur protest should be directed at baggage handlers (if she relly is innocent) and australian gov, their judicial system is like that and thats the way it is. U would probably go hardly anywhere in the world if u were to pickout the laws u dont like from different countries!

Dustin_z

HSC
chilipepper said:
how do the people of bali hold the keys to schapelle corby?U dont see ordinary australians stepping up to howard and making him change laws doya?are all the people of bali responsible for their governments actions. Thats like saying all the australians are responsible for the wrongly deported immigrants because the government had won a majority of votes. Ur protest should be directed at baggage handlers (if she relly is innocent) and australian gov, their judicial system is like that and thats the way it is. U would probably go hardly anywhere in the world if u were to pickout the laws u dont like from different countries!
It is AUSTRALIANS responsibility when it comes to our Government and Policies. It is Indonesians responsibility when it comes to their Government.

I won't go to Bali just as much as I wouldn't go to Zimbabwe. Would you go to Zimbabwe for a good old holiday? I mean its not the peoples fault Robert Mugabe abuses people.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
first people say shapelle can't be THAT dumb to smuggle drugs in that way

but people are dumb enough to "morally" not "support" bali because of it

what to think.

aaarrgh

HSC
It’s not that she is or isn’t guilty. It’s the fact that there is not definitive evidence to support either side. You can’t take away twenty years of a person’s life just because you’re reasonably sure.

I’ll be the first to admit that media coverage in Australia has been biased and misleading, which is inturn has incited people’s strong feelings towards the Indonesians.

I’m not saying that we should or shouldn’t boycott Bali, but something should be done. How can Australia stand by while one of its citizen’s is imprisoned despite a lack of evidence and when evidence has been mishandled?

The other thing to consider is the severity of the sentence, whether she is guilty or not. Twenty years for importing some grass, when other countries are taking steps to legalise it!

Also, why would she be importing drugs into Indonesia? From what I understand, drugs are abundant there, and the drugs would fetch high prices on the streets of Australia than in Indonesia.

meeeeeeeee

HSC
i was in bali the day schapelle was sentenced and none of the Balinese people i talked to had even heard of her. by not going to Bali you will just hurt the already poor and innocent people who have nothing at all to do with the Corby case or any other case for that matter. Bali is a beautiful and amazing place, and the people really really need the support of Australian tourists!

$a®e

HSC
just because of certain negative issues relating to one person!!! should not be a reason not to go...the whole incident with shappelle is not going to spoil your schoolies and i think its ridiculous to cancel goin there if thats your reasoning behind it or u think some random is gonna put sh**t in ur bag.

the likliness of that happening is relatively small.

neways i have been to fiji 8 times and even though it is a beautiful place, it isnt really a place for people looking to go for schoolies, it is very expensive in comparision to bali and your money wont go as far as you hope for and there isnt really a night-life which extends past drinking at the resorts.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)