Film Noir Conventions? (1 Viewer)

elle148

HSC
With my school... we didn't really need to focus on film noir.

Basically, in our essays we would have to write about how the Big Sleep transcends crime fiction... and make a reference to film noir. Also about stereotypical femme fatale.

Man, seeing what other people are doing is really confusing and freaking me out lol.

socialbug

HSC
hey, i know this is an old thread, but thought i could help out anyone in future.

Film noir externalises the interior landscape to demonstrate flawed and desperate characters in an unforgiving world.
It illustrates the world through dramatic shadows and low-key lighting to communicate a decrepit society, engaging with the ideas/expectations of the audience for that genre.

For example, you know when the sweet, innocent character peers though the slat blinds and shadow is cast on their face, all you can see is their eyes? The audience is viewing externaly, the emotions of suspense, uncertainty and insecurity felt by that character.

that's why flim noir - the stylistic technique, not genre in itself - is often used to portray hardboiled texts. There is corruption and obscurity in hardboiled fiction, and film noir works perfectly to communicate that.
(though just remember, film noir can be associated with many other genres, usually sub-genres within crime fiction or horror/psychological thriller films, that way inclined to use film noir to illustrate the unforgiving society that inspires such fear and adrenaline.)

oh dear, i've blabbed again. and if i've spelt anything wrong please feel free to correct me - it is my downfall.
:bomb:

x.

SairWiso

HSC
I dont talk about Film noir till the end, when i start talking about Sin City.
I just talk about TBS as a hardboiled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)