Final Fantasy X (1 Viewer)

wintering

HSC
are we allowed to choose video games for our supplementary texts? because yeah, i have one more text to do and i think ffx would actually be a good one. for those familiar with the storyline, what do you think? :s

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha fuck no. they're 30-40 year old markers, i don't think they'd relate to a video game.

wintering

HSC
what does the markers *relating* to the text have anything to do with it? if your analysis is convincing and sophisticated, and presents a clear concept of the journey, then i don't see why it should be a problem. besides, ffx is a rpg, and its narrative is actually the main focus. it would be the same as analysing something like spirited away (which i'm also doing).

i don't know, correct me if i'm wrong.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
english is known for tis subjective marking. the markers are grown ups, hence if you write somthing they can at least comprehend/understand would be better off than writing something lame like teen angst, suicides, murders and drugs - even if it is written well, the overall impression given off isn't spectacular.

but do what you want, its your HSC.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
wintering said:
what does the markers *relating* to the text have anything to do with it? if your analysis is convincing and sophisticated, and presents a clear concept of the journey, then i don't see why it should be a problem. besides, ffx is a rpg, and its narrative is actually the main focus. it would be the same as analysing something like spirited away (which i'm also doing).

i don't know, correct me if i'm wrong.
Every year, someone asks this questions. And every year I give the same answer: don't. It just makes it look like you'd rather play games than do work. Besides, every text type has its own nuances and techniques, and last I checked, video games weren't covered in the curriculum.

Graceofgod

HSC
Also ffx is WAY too long to properly analyse. My friend is doing it. But personally I think that is a very bad choice.

wintering

HSC
It just makes it look like you'd rather play games than do work.
no offence, but this is moronic. as i said, if the concept of journey is well presented and you've fulfilled the rubric... if it would still look like "you'd rather play video games than do work", then it's fairly insulting to the marker's intelligence. i'd like to give them more credit than that.

i'm well aware that it's common sense not to do video games, and that it "won't go down well with the markers." most video games simply do not suit the area of study, and the people who do this in order to get out of doing a 'real' text are most likely have mediocre written expression. but i'm not considering doing this for the sake of doing a video game, but because i think it actually fits very well into the concept of "the imaginative journey" - more so than a lot of other texts that people are doing, which they really have to stretch to fit. and as for techniques, i would not be talking about the gaming mechanics. take the gaming aspects out of FFX, and you've more or less got an animated movie. it has a strong narrative, cutscenes, voice acting, beautifully rendered visuals. so the techniques i would be using would be narrative techniques, mis en scene, camera work, music - how they all work together to create the imagined environment. the analysis would be EXACTLY the same as a film analysis. so if the markers want to penalise me purely for writing "video game" instead of "film", then maybe i should say that it's a film. like i said, you're not giving the markers enough credit.

Also ffx is WAY too long to properly analyse.
hardly. you would only be focusing on the aspect that most strongly reflects the IMAGINATIVE JOURNEY, not the intricacies of the plot. you've got a paragraph or two for each of your additional texts. you think you can do a movie justice in a paragraph, a novel, or even a poem? pfft.

i don't mean to be appear stubborn or rude. i'd just rather not hear "Oh well, it's your HSC, if you want to go against my good advice and fail, it's your own damn fault" because.... duh. it just seems to me like your arguments are based on hearsay, and in this case hold no water, which is why i'm refuting them. if you can give me a sound reason why my own arguments are crap, then i'd appreciate it. i'm still deciding whether i want to do it or not. i mean, i don't want to fail my own HSC.

joshlols

HSC
Look if you came here to not take an any advice from what people are saying then why the fuck did you post this thread.
Newsflash: Video games are bad ideas for additional material.

But hey, not like you're going to even acknowledge any of the advice in this thread before having a huge cry about it. Do what you want, if you are that intent on doing it.

wintering

HSC
Look if you came here to not take an any advice from what people are saying then why the fuck did you post this thread.
Newsflash: Video games are bad ideas for additional material.

But hey, not like you're going to even acknowledge any of the advice in this thread before having a huge cry about it. Do what you want, if you are that intent on doing it.
you are clearly mentally deficient. i came here to GET advice, dipshit, and i got it. THAT's why i posted on this thread. you do not have to TAKE every piece of advice that you get without exerting your own critical faculties. i did ACKNOWLEDGE the advice. acknowledgement is not tantamount to going "you're right, i'll do what you say." here's some advice you should take, though: die in a hole. :)

joshlols

HSC
wintering said:
no offence, but this is moronic. as i said, if the concept of journey is well presented and you've fulfilled the rubric... if it would still look like "you'd rather play video games than do work", then it's fairly insulting to the marker's intelligence. i'd like to give them more credit than that.
You've voided your arguement later on about 'heresay' because you've done the exact same thing.

i'm well aware that it's common sense not to do video games, and that it "won't go down well with the markers." most video games simply do not suit the area of study, and the people who do this in order to get out of doing a 'real' text are most likely have mediocre written expression. but i'm not considering doing this for the sake of doing a video game, but because i think it actually fits very well into the concept of "the imaginative journey"
You answered your main question in the first sentence, and the rest of this meaningless dribble is just justifying your own laziness to find 'proper' additional material instead of rambling on about a video game that is much easier for you to recite.

it just seems to me like your arguments are based on hearsay, and in this case hold no water, which is why i'm refuting them.
My english teacher who is an HSC marker + my english tutor have reinforced into my head the notion of using SOPHISTICATED additional material which of course is a matter of perception. You can argue that The Little Mermaid has some sort of intricate deeper meaning but in the perspective of an HSC marker who has seen some fairly good and 'sophisticated' additional material what the fuck do you think they are going to do when they see that you are using a video game? Fucking logic fails you because you have you head stuck so far up your ass that you don't wanna hear anything of it.

if you can give me a sound reason why my own arguments are crap, then i'd appreciate it.
Just did.

wintering

HSC
Just did.
hahaha. no, all you did was ignore it and then spout what you've been spoonfed. sorry :)

what the fuck do you think they are going to do when they see that you are using a video game? Fucking logic fails you because you have you head stuck so far up your ass that you don't wanna hear anything of it.
LOL. someone's an angry little man... it's an internet forum. chill out.

You've voided your arguement later on about 'heresay' because you've done the exact same thing.
i don't think you understand what 'hearsay' means.

and the rest of this meaningless dribble is just justifying your own laziness to find 'proper' additional material instead of rambling on about a video game that is much easier for you to recite.
not really. i haven't played the game in a year, so i'd actually have to do some research. i mean, there's no materials for it, either. i don't even like it that much (not one of the better FFs) but the storyline fits. it would be easier for me to do alice in wonderland or something. what texts are you doing? :)

joshlols

HSC
wintering said:
LOL. someone's an angry little man... it's an internet forum. chill out.
Directed toward:
you are clearly mentally deficient. i came here to GET advice, dipshit, and i got it. THAT's why i posted on this thread. you do not have to TAKE every piece of advice that you get without exerting your own critical faculties. i did ACKNOWLEDGE the advice. acknowledgement is not tantamount to going "you're right, i'll do what you say." here's some advice you should take, though: die in a hole. :)
Your tears sustain me.

what texts are you doing? :)
Dreams of Leaving (Time Magazine article) and Lost in Translation.

Point is, 3 people gave you advice that the HSC markers will most likely not respond well to having a video game used as additional material. You came to this forum for advice and it was given and all you've done is have a huge cry about it. Do it if you want, it makes no difference to me.

wintering

HSC
Your tears sustain me.
what does that even mean? well, at least my attack was punctuated by a friendly smiley. yours was just rude. and hello, you started it.

Point is, 3 people gave you advice that the HSC markers will most likely not respond well to having a video game used as additional material. You came to this forum for advice and it was given and all you've done is have a huge cry about it.
3 people could be wrong. and i really don't understand your assertion that i was having a 'huge cry'. that's just an easy way to trivialise any argument that goes against your own.

my point was that it would be exactly the same as analysing a film, in terms of techniques. and just because it is a video game does not necessarily preclude it from being a 'substantial' text. plenty of people do children's picture books. it's the strength of the analysis that counts. but whatever, i'm not trying to change your mind.

Do it if you want, it makes no difference to me.
uh... thanks for stating the obvious, yet again. it's not like i'm expecting you to give a shit.

i love 'lost in translation', but how is that an imaginative journey? or are you doing physical?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You're right, what would any of us know? We only did the HSC in the past few years and were strongly advised not to use video games by teachers who have been marking the English papers since the current format of the HSC was invented ... I;m sure you know better than they do.

wce33

HSC
Hey wintering,

First up, while the FF games are intricate and hence I understand your perspective of believing it is worthy of 'Imaginative Journey' based examiniation, Here's why I believe you should not to use FFX as your supporting text.

One: Markers are biased. Clear and simple, if they cannot connect with a text, they won't mark you well. Society is still stuck in a 'Videogames are for kids' mentality. As such, when you introduce this supporting text as a game, they will stereotype you into that of a lazy student whom couldnt seek varied 'adult' texts.

While FFX may be a good text, you have to learn to work the system, and choosing this text won't help you to do this.

Goodluck with your choice though either way, believe me while it would be great to choose a text we're passionate about (instead of tiresome texts like Emma - shudder at last year :p) I reccomend looking at this from the markers perspective. They appreciate students going outside standard teenage comfort zones with their analysis. :)

wintering

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
You're right, what would any of us know? We only did the HSC in the past few years and were strongly advised not to use video games by teachers who have been marking the English papers since the current format of the HSC was invented ... I;m sure you know better than they do.
we've all been advised against it, because i'm sure the majority of responses analysing video games have been crap. still, there are exceptions to rules, and each text is unique. we're all strongly advised to steer clear from suicide, teenage angst, etc. in our creatives - but in the 2003 ext. 2 showcase, there was a major work dealing with teen suicide and angst. why? because she did it well. so there you go. i still maintain that it should be the strength of the response that counts, and this is what determines the 'substantiality' of a text in the marker's eyes. i don't see them reading the word "video game" and immediately crossing that paragraph out.

i'll post my results here when i get them. so i guess we'll see. :)

HSC
I used FFVII as a text in my half yearlies. Don't use a video game unless you have deeply analysed it and know a LOT of techniques. Do NOT talk about it like it is a novel!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)