Finance is crap (1 Viewer)

Jt*

HSC
another dumb question from me!! :worried:

what do CA, CPA and CFA mean??

also i'm doing bcom/bEc and thinking of majoring in finance, so am i supposed to choose 2 majors and if so what would be good to go with that??

tempco

HSC
Casmira said:
lucky bastard :( i failed qma once so i cant do honours, i have to take the masters road
Have you considered doing honours at another university? Starting honours mid-year?

Having passed all your subjects isn't always a criteria into honours programs.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Jt* said:
another dumb question from me!! :worried:

what do CA, CPA and CFA mean??

also i'm doing bcom/bEc and thinking of majoring in finance, so am i supposed to choose 2 majors and if so what would be good to go with that??
CA = Chartered Accountant
CPA = Certified Practising Accountant
CFA = Certified Financial Analyst

Conspirocy

HSC
tempco said:
Have you considered doing honours at another university? Starting honours mid-year?

I knew they had that, but is it really possible?

tempco

HSC
Conspirocy said:
I knew they had that, but is it really possible?
Yes, but within reason. If the failure was a one off, and you've been improving ever since, you've got a good chance at being accepted if you've met other requirements.

HSC
tempco said:

yes not into honours programs, but it is for finance honours :). shirley was pretty firm about that

im pretty sure UOW will accept me for honours, but its UOW and not unsw :( is it true about doing masters then doing honours? or is that kinda pointless

Conspirocy

HSC
tempco said:
Yes, but within reason. If the failure was a one off, and you've been improving ever since, you've got a good chance at being accepted if you've met other requirements.
Yeah well I'm not in that situation thankfully. How did you go about finding a supervisor? How did you go about picking a topic?

tempco

HSC
Casmira said:
yes not into honours programs, but it is for finance honours :). shirley was pretty firm about that

im pretty sure UOW will accept me for honours, but its UOW and not unsw :( is it true about doing masters then doing honours? or is that kinda pointless
What are you aiming to getting into, job-wise? I can't see many positions that would favour honours in finance over a year at work... Co-op, RBA and academia maybe, but apart from that most positions are straight out bachelors.

tempco

HSC
Conspirocy said:
Yeah well I'm not in that situation thankfully. How did you go about finding a supervisor? How did you go about picking a topic?
I emailed a few lecturers who had supervised previously, trying to see if they were into areas of my interest. Found a match, suggested a few topics and discussed what topics would be viable. Once they were narrowed down, you just have to read the literature to see if you can contribute in any way to your chosen field.

HSC
tempco said:
What are you aiming to getting into, job-wise? I can't see many positions that would favour honours in finance over a year at work... Co-op, RBA and academia maybe, but apart from that most positions are straight out bachelors.
eventually? investment banking. i was told honours is a good idea

tempco

HSC
Personally, I'd say honours is a waste of time if you're thinking of getting into IB. Which section/s are you looking at getting into?

schmeichung

HSC
I was told that there were about 50%(?) Finance honors graduates able to earn IB offers. This is one of the reason why my friend did Finance honors

tempco

HSC
From guys in IB I know personally (2 in Mac), you don't really need honours.

If you've got the ability to do honours, you should have a WAM high enough to apply for internships/graduate positions anyway. IMO the benefit of using a year to write up a thesis is no where near as big as applying straight for an IB position.

Conspirocy

HSC
schmeichung said:
I was told that there were about 50%(?) Finance honors graduates able to earn IB offers. This is one of the reason why my friend did Finance honors
The heirarchy that I have observed for IB is as follows
- Com/Law (With or without honours in finance, but def a major in finance)
- Co-op/Scholarship Students (Doesn't have to be the finance ones)
- Com/Sci Students and Com/Eng Students
-Com Students with Honours in Finance
- Everyone Else
- Me

Edit: Oh and if your WAM isnt above 75 you wont be hearing from them anytime soon. Well maybe if its like 74.250

Last edited:

Loz_metalhead

HSC
What if you are doing a staight commerce degree and have a WAM of around 80. Would they still prefer a comm/law student with say a wam of 75?

HSC
it all depends on the applicants and the interviewer. i know some banks have a preference for comm/law students but they'd probably still want to hire comm students with a wam of 80

juzmister

HSC
Most of the banks like their applicants to have a bit of work experience as well...an 80 wam does not guarantee a job...

Loz_metalhead

HSC
juzmister said:
Most of the banks like their applicants to have a bit of work experience as well...an 80 wam does not guarantee a job...
Never said it did.

tempco

HSC
Actually, if you're applying for a second year internship position they'd probably look more favourably on ECAs like being in a leadership position in a uni society, or a captain of some sports club instead of working some random part-time job. Add your ECAs with a D+WAM, do well in the psychometric tests and you've got a shot at first round interviews. From there, it's all you and how quick you can think on your feet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)