• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Financial Institutions and Markets (1 Viewer)

fungie

HSC
Is it me or is this unit as boring as?? I attend the lectures and they make me want to sleep. Hardly anyone attends the lecture. What do we really do in this unit? I thought it would be mathematical but its basically theory of financial institutions. Are the exams hard? I have a feeling that im going to fail this unit =( . Give your opinons on this unit.

fai69

HSC
fungie said:
Is it me or is this unit as boring as?? I attend the lectures and they make me want to sleep. Hardly anyone attends the lecture. What do we really do in this unit? I thought it would be mathematical but its basically theory of financial institutions. Are the exams hard? I have a feeling that im going to fail this unit =( . Give your opinons on this unit.

Umm yea its kind of boring but i hung in there anyway.You mainly learn how the financial system works but there is a few maths later on to learn.As for the exam you can use maxmarks to practice.Last semester he basically just took the exam questions off it.Only hard thing about the unit was i had to study the whole book to prepare for the exam.But you dont need to pass the final anyway,as long as the overall assessment is over 50% you're fine.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
it aint bad..our lecture is bloody boring tho..damn lecturer gettin d lecture off d txtbook site...have some damn originality!!!! apart from that its ok (im d only first yr dude doin it in my campus at blacktown :) )

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fungie said:
its so boring...the lecturer just reads out the textbooks lecture notes so i skipped my last one and just studied in the library for 2 hrs...

bizadfar

HSC
I'm having trouble with this unit.
I've been caught up in a lot of shit and entertainment (not knowing when uni started, not organised with enrollments when uni already started, being in melbourne for the past week)
On top of that I have only 2 books so far, 1 i received today in the mail which is... FIM

So you can imagine, I've been playing a shit load of catchup

Now, with this unit. I can't find what the hell is the homework. In tutorial program it says the sub chapters. Do we have to like summarise this? I can't see any questions labeled 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 etc...

I'm so confused of what we actually have to do in this...

Now in the lectures, i had the most embarrassing moment. I fell asleep, and i was the only one left in the theatre apart from a few people talking to the lecturer.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
bizadfar said:
I'm having trouble with this unit.
I've been caught up in a lot of shit and entertainment (not knowing when uni started, not organised with enrollments when uni already started, being in melbourne for the past week)
On top of that I have only 2 books so far, 1 i received today in the mail which is... FIM

So you can imagine, I've been playing a shit load of catchup

Now, with this unit. I can't find what the hell is the homework. In tutorial program it says the sub chapters. Do we have to like summarise this? I can't see any questions labeled 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 etc...

I'm so confused of what we actually have to do in this...

Now in the lectures, i had the most embarrassing moment. I fell asleep, and i was the only one left in the theatre apart from a few people talking to the lecturer.
The questions 3.2,3.3,3.4 etc refer to Chapter 3 essay questions 2, 3,4. I hope you've been going to the tutorials tho because I'm sure theres required attendance for the first hour and we have already been put into groups for our presentation.

bizadfar

HSC
The homework in this subject is lame. Its basically copy+paste, with a bit of your own output (own words). That type of homework where the work quantity/effort is so high that its hardly worth it.

fai69

HSC
Guys i know its boring,ive been there already but in the final exam you really need to study for it hard.I did the weekly readings and re-read the whole book again basically to review for exam because it was based on the whole unit.Out of 50 multiple choices it could ask anything in that thick book.You really dont wana cram in the last minute of exam because theres no gurantee you will get the time to.Lucky for me i had a week to study for it.

fungie

HSC
So basically we just have to memorise the whole textbook to pass!! Do we have to remember the textbook in detail or just the main points?

fai69

HSC
Mainly the main points...he wasnt that cruel to us to put in the hardcore calcuations.If you do the homework questions that helps a bit since the questions will reflect the chapter so its good for revision in the end.Besides you dont need to pass the final to pass the unit,just overall 50% will do.Passing is not hard but getting distinctions will make you work harder.

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
I have done that subject 2 yrs ago....I never attend lecture, just few tutorials, cramp in the final and got a PC for it.:mad1:

whos da lecturer? don't tell me it's dat Dr S.Vidler again! :rofl:

fai69

HSC
yea,its an elective of mine and since economics seems to be my forte in a way i picked it.But yea you probably seen my name on discussion boards.I dont really think you can miss it lol.

Demandred

HSC
It's a boring unit, but its an necessary evil. I think Roger Ham is one of the tutors, ff you want mathematics ask him about 3rd year applied econometrics :p it's frigging suicide...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)