Finding a balance (1 Viewer)

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
I am having issues prioritizing my school work.

I do;
Biology (Distance ED)
General Maths
Adv English
Modern History.

Biology and modern history I have done the Prelim and HSC in one year.

Trials start next week, and I am really being pushed by my maths teacher to do lots of math study, which I guess is good, but it has forced me to become behind in literally everything else. I have read none of the english books, nor do I have an understanding of modern history, and I have not completed all the coursework for Biology.

idk what to do, talked to maths teacher about it, and she said "DO MATHS, HALF AN HOUR ON EACH SUBJECT A NIGHT"
but, trust me, that gets me no where.

Help

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
- Do you struggle in Maths? Do you really need to be pushed for that subject? Are you lagging behind in that? I feel as if your teacher just cares about you doing well in Maths, which is a bad thing because she's not thinking about your other subjects. It's true, half and hour on each subject isn't gonna work, that's why you need to work on the subjects you're struggling with the most. How much hours of study do you have available after school? What time do you sleep?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
English: Read summaries of your books and important parts which could be useful towards your essay work.

Are all the coursework included in your trials? If so, use other people's notes and revamp them if you think you need to. Literally there's no time now to create notes from scratch for two very content-heavy subjects.

I'm not sure why you would need to use 50% of your time towards maths unless you're struggling or doing extensions.
IMO you should try to create a schedule where you study for your last exam i.e. if biology is last study that first, and study for your first exam last.
This lets you have fresh memory for your first exam. But allocate it so that you have an equal amount of study, HOWEVER it also depends on how well you're doing. So if you're doing pretty well in biology compared to other subjects and you can easily answer questions after reading content then use the least time on that, and vice versa.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
You shouldn't focus so much on Maths if you have a solid foundation. A general rule of thumb is to focus on the subject that you feel weakest at/ focus on which test is the closest. However if you do really struggle at gen maths, then you should spend a bit more time on it to an extent where it does not screw up the rest of your subjects. You still have a week left, don't feel too stressed, its not good

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
- Do you struggle in Maths? Do you really need to be pushed for that subject? Are you lagging behind in that? I feel as if your teacher just cares about you doing well in Maths, which is a bad thing because she's not thinking about your other subjects. It's true, half and hour on each subject isn't gonna work, that's why you need to work on the subjects you're struggling with the most. How much hours of study do you have available after school? What time do you sleep?
I have one or two specific holes in my maths knowledge, I am aiming to fill those gaps by hsc exams, and not by trials.
I get home at 4, and say I have half hour break 4:30 would be study start, from there let's say ideally 5 hours, allowing time for dinner and what not, however sometimes there are things to do in the afternoon for general home life.
English: Read summaries of your books and important parts which could be useful towards your essay work.

Are all the coursework included in your trials? If so, use other people's notes and revamp them if you think you need to. Literally there's no time now to create notes from scratch for two very content-heavy subjects.

I'm not sure why you would need to use 50% of your time towards maths unless you're struggling or doing extensions.
IMO you should try to create a schedule where you study for your last exam i.e. if biology is last study that first, and study for your first exam last.
This lets you have fresh memory for your first exam. But allocate it so that you have an equal amount of study, HOWEVER it also depends on how well you're doing. So if you're doing pretty well in biology compared to other subjects and you can easily answer questions after reading content then use the least time on that, and vice versa.
I get this, and it's an ideal, however j haven't completed all the course work for biology that will be in the trial, so I want to get all that done.
You shouldn't focus so much on Maths if you have a solid foundation. A general rule of thumb is to focus on the subject that you feel weakest at/ focus on which test is the closest. However if you do really struggle at gen maths, then you should spend a bit more time on it to an extent where it does not screw up the rest of your subjects. You still have a week left, don't feel too stressed, its not good
I don't need to spend all my time on maths, it's my strongest subject however I am actually getting into trouble at school for not completing the homework.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
If Maths is your strongest then don't spend too much time on it, just do the homework that's set for you if you want to avoid trouble. As for finding balance that will be upto you, anyone will tell you to space out your time so you'll be able to work on what you want to and what not. 4 hours should be enough to work on most if not all of your subjects DAILY. Since trials are in a tight time period you need to work less for Maths and more for your other subjects.

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
If Maths is your strongest then don't spend too much time on it, just do the homework that's set for you if you want to avoid trouble. As for finding balance that will be upto you, anyone will tell you to space out your time so you'll be able to work on what you want to and what not. 4 hours should be enough to work on most if not all of your subjects DAILY. Since trials are in a tight time period you need to work less for Maths and more for your other subjects.
See this is where I am getting to with maths, the amount of homework we get is enormous especially compared to other subjects, and I am getting into shit for not spending the most time on it

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Are there any teachers that you are close to that you can explain your situation to? And then ask them for help speaking to your mathematics teacher?

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Are there any teachers that you are close to that you can explain your situation to? And then ask them for help speaking to your mathematics teacher?
I have spoken to my maths teacher about it, I have spoken to my other two teachers about it.
Maths teacher says just focus on maths
English/modern teacher says forget about bio, focus on modern
Bio teacher says focus on bio

:/

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Well I recommend you do this: Speak to your Maths teacher to try lessen the amount of homework given, or if that does not work then you need more time to study, and by this I mean studying early in the morning probably around 5:00 for 1-2 hours before you go to school. If you get enough sleep this shouldn't be a problem.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
TFW you feel weak in all of your subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)