Finding Nemo (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
Originally posted by Angela86
Our teacher told us to stear away from childrens things, as they haven't got a lot of depth, but do you think Finding nemo does??
Thats full of crap. You'd be surprised at the complexity of children's "things". Except - the thing is, kids don't realise/fully comprehend these things until they're older. :) so to me they're kinda aimed at adults anyway [e.g. disney movies... including finding nemo]. i mean i remember as a kid i just liked the pictures. didn't really get what was going on.

i'm doing a dr seuss text which is one of the most meaningful texts i've ever come across. i have a soft spot for it. :) but anyway... i find children's texts great because theres always a strong sense of morailty in them - they're tools of education, thats why. theres always something to be learnt in it. unlike cliche romantic comedies or teen movies/ save the last dance honey centre stage we're all the same thing movies. *yawns*.

go the kids things. :p oh plus, i think you get brownie points for turning something seemingly uncomplex into a deep and meaningful, elaborate and clever text. :)

lozza_86

HSC
I was really set on doing "finding Nemo" for one of my related texts - physical journeys. I did't realise what an issue it was and debate over its value until i recently read these posts. I think that if you analyse the text properly you'll show your sophistocation in your response, it shouldn't matter what text it is as long as it relates to the journey. Then again i don't go to a selective high nor do i have one of these all knowing masters of HSC marking giving me advice. I'd just like to know how those people saying not to do it think that the sophisocation of the text you choose reflects your level of intelegence.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Hey, I just want to say that I used the Wizard of Oz for my journeys supp. text (in fact, that was the only text for that assessment) and I got full marks. In a selective school. So it's bullshit that you won't get good marks if you use a "immature" text.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Angela86
Do you think Finding Nemo is a good audiovisual imaginative journey??
I think the movie is an extended metaphore, and there are messages underneath it all.
Our teacher told us to stear away from childrens things, as they haven't got a lot of depth, but do you think Finding nemo does??
nemo sounds good. i am not in the frame of mine to consider any underlying meanings, but i am sure there are some there as it is a sisney film afterall, and they cater for adults and kids

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i would think its wise to steer from childrens stuff, whether the marker is in the right or wrong in judging that a sophisticated text is of more worth...i dont like that sort of mentality personally buts its the way it is and even though i can think of countless texts that i like that could be deemed "childish" i wouldnt use it, cos the HSC requires a lot of analysis and a wider scope in a more complex text would, in the end, HELP u

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Re: Re: Finding Nemo

Originally posted by olay
go the kids things. :p oh plus, i think you get brownie points for turning something seemingly uncomplex into a deep and meaningful, elaborate and clever text. :)
texts arent there to be "turned into" something else. in relation to english, its to be analysed, to judge worth from, to be understood and draw deeper meaning from. if there was little or no meaning in it then the last clause would be difficult to fill...we arent six yr olds analysing dr seuss, as much as i like dr suess, its the HSC and different texts apply and are relevant in different contexts

jessum

HSC
in regards to all the stuff people were saying bout teachers telling them to stay away from childrens texts, my teacher actually encouraged us to do childrens books and movies. and how is finding nemo not imaginative like someone said? i fit it into the inspirational category, but u could do whatever u like with it. its fishies talking and being parents and stuff... thats just a tad imaginative....
theres lots of levels to childrens texts.
but im a bit freaked out bout people saying markers dont like it when you use childrens texts. i know the ones at our school like it, but what about external markers?

m1nx

HSC
Originally posted by lozza_86
I think that if you analyse the text properly you'll show your sophistocation in your response, it shouldn't matter what text it is as long as it relates to the journey.
hear, hear! most disney movies (okay, i'm thinking shrek in particular, can't really think of anything else) these days are pretty much targeted at children and adults alike~ disguised as a children's movie, but similarly has a great deal of depth in terms of discussing techniques and such with all of its underlying meanings targeted at a more mature audience. [eg. this is off the top of my head, but when shrek/the donkey? comments on the size of the king's castle "must be compensating for something"]

oh, and just another point: Wind in the Willows is definitely a children's text, yet is still included in our stimulus booklet. think about it.

AmyVan

HSC
im doing finding nemo as a text for this years trials..so yeah and i was told that it was a god one to choose from, as its easy and the father fish goes on a journey ro find his son, i mean come on. he experiences many things on his findings to his son....
anyways bye guys... study time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)