FINS1613 vs ECON1101 gen ed (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Need to do one of them next semester (semester one 2015) as a gen ed.

Want something that is not too difficult to get 75+ in, takes minimal time during the semester to spend time on, uses more maths, has no essays, looks somewhat interesting, has a minimal amount of assessment tasks and can possibly benefit me in the future.

I currently am enrolled in FINS1613, but I'm not too sure whether it is the best choice.

I did enjoy preliminary Economics (essentially Microeconomics). But yeah I think FINS1613 might look a bit interesting.

Also, I already know what other gen ed I am doing later on and it isn't related to either.

Thoughts on each?

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
FINS1613 requires more mathematical LOGICS (emphasis on LOGICS)... if u think math(not merely formula) is easy then go for 1613.

ECON1101 however requires a bit more quantitative writing compared to 1613. But content is quite useful in daily life and interesting

Both are good GenEd. If you are a math person 1613 may suit u better

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
FINS1613 requires more mathematical logics... if u think math is easy then go for 1613.

ECON1101 however requires a bit more quantitative writing compared to 1613. But content is quite useful in daily life and interesting

Both are good GenEd. If you are a math person 1613 may suit u better
What type of maths is involved in 1613?

Also, by quantitative you mean short answer like?

I've heard mixed things about the finals having large amounts of multiple choice for each or something. Not sure to the extent that these are true for semester one though.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
What type of maths is involved in 1613?

Also, by quantitative you mean short answer like?

I've heard mixed things about the finals having large amounts of multiple choice for each or something. Not sure to the extent that these are true for semester one though.
Financial mathematics(google 4 more) In 1613 you will only be exposed to some basic formula. But Mathematics imo is a logic not calculation. What's difficult is the understanding behind all those formulae. I'm good at Math but I struggled a lot in 1613.. but I think think it's a good course (opens up my eyes a lot)
If you want , I can send you some lecture slides on this course.

Yes I meant short answer. sometimes you are required to draw diagram and do some calculation, then describe it in words....

I did 1101 in sem 1, the MCQ final is decent. MCQ final of 1613 is also decent in sem2
Nb NEVER do fins1613 in sem 2

mreditor16

HSC
I know very little, but from reading the course outline of ECON1101, it seems like a lot of it is content learnt in Prelim and HSC Economics.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Another reason why I'm inclined to do FINS1613 is that I already have two mates doing it next sem too. Plus ON makes 3 haha.

itoki228

HSC
N/A
It's a lot easier to fall behind in FINS1613 because its not really math based as people say, the math is usually just a method you use after you apply the actual financial knowledge.

E.g. The final last sem was not math intensive at all yet was considered extremely hard by the entire cohort.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's a lot easier to fall behind in FINS1613 because its not really math based as people say, the math is usually just a method you use after you apply the actual financial knowledge.

E.g. The final last sem was not math intensive at all yet was considered extremely hard by the entire cohort.
Thanks for the input.

By last sem do you mean semester 2?

Also, is the financial knowledge something that requires a lot of textbook reading to wrap your head around or something I can just learn off lectures or something that most people rote?

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
is the financial knowledge something that requires a lot of textbook reading to wrap your head around or something I can just learn off lectures or something that most people rote?
You READ TEXTBOOK

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
the math is usually just a method you use after you apply the actual financial knowledge.
This is what im saying, the underatanding, ie the financial knowledge behinds it

But that financial knowledge ultimately comes down to mathematical knowledge. E.g NPV ultimately comes down to net economic gain if you know what I'm saying

Confound

HSC
Microeconomics is very easy and fun, you can do it with your hands tied behind your back and keep a strong smile throughout the semester

(Assuming the unit outline is the same/similar as MQ micro1. I.e. PPF, forms of competition... etc etc in depth obvs) Can nyone confirm assumption/i.e.?

itoki228

HSC
N/A
This is what im saying, the underatanding, ie the financial knowledge behinds it

But that financial knowledge ultimately comes down to mathematical knowledge. E.g NPV ultimately comes down to net economic gain if you know what I'm saying
Not really. The mathematical knowledge learnt in the course can be condensed into literally 1 page, its just formulas.

I did general maths in high school and the math in FINS1613 was not hard at all. It was the questions they posed.

E.g. No math questions in finals, more like questions regarding some aspect of a company (debt leverage) and its up to the student to select an appropriate method to find a solution

itoki228

HSC
N/A
Both courses require very little maths but FINS1613 was more fun imo

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really. The mathematical knowledge learnt in the course can be condensed into literally 1 page, its just formulas.

I did general maths in high school and the math in FINS1613 was not hard at all. It was the questions they posed.

E.g. No math questions in finals, more like questions regarding some aspect of a company (debt leverage) and its up to the student to select an appropriate method to find a solution
You clearly have no clue what I was trying to say. Math is never the formula.

itoki228

HSC
N/A
You clearly have no clue what I was trying to say. Math is never the formula.
Well I mean you just told me that despite being great at maths, you struggled with FINS1613. You seem to know that math isn't just the formula but also the concepts you have to grasp. I'm disgusting at maths and I aced this course.

I'm telling you right now, the levels of maths you are at when you enter this course is literally meaningless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)