• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Fire Evacuation during Exam (1 Viewer)

nomsheep

HSC
I was sitting my economics exam just last week and we (fortunately?) had a fire alarm start ringing in the building and were told to evacuate. This lasted 15 minutes, from leaving the classroom to sitting down again. We were notified that they would deliberate the effects of the event on the markings but I'm not sure which way it will sway given that we were able to talk to each other outside of the exam room!

I received an e-mail from the school outlining the events and one line struck me as worrying, which read "... this unfortunate incident is being treated as a Group Misadventure.". Anyone able to clue me in as to what a Group Misadventure is?

Thoughts on what the effect of this will be?

Edit: We also had 15 minutes added to the exam time.

runnable

HSC
When this ALMOST happened at my school, we were told that we would need to re-sit the exam if we step out of the exam hall and start talking, which we almost did as a teacher ran in and said it was a false alarm. IMO this is not a misadventure, its advantageous in every way if that exam is still considered. Lost train of thought bla bla bla...

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
as long as u had the time added...alls good

(answers could be exchanged tho!)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I was sitting my economics exam just last week and we (fortunately?) had a fire alarm start ringing in the building and were told to evacuate. This lasted 15 minutes, from leaving the classroom to sitting down again. We were notified that they would deliberate the effects of the event on the markings but I'm not sure which way it will sway given that we were able to talk to each other outside of the exam room!

I received an e-mail from the school outlining the events and one line struck me as worrying, which read "... this unfortunate incident is being treated as a Group Misadventure.". Anyone able to clue me in as to what a Group Misadventure is?

Misadventure is when the school will treat it as a disadvantage to the whole cohort who sat economics. It means that your whole group will be given special considerations.

nomsheep

HSC
Misadventure is when the school will treat it as a disadvantage to the whole cohort who sat economics. It means that your whole group will be given special considerations.
Excellent! It was actually quite the opposite of a disadvantage to the group, I'm sure quite a few of us earned [read: gained] a few extra marks because of it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
School should have common sense to not schedule a fire drill during an examination period.

nomsheep

HSC
School should have common sense to not schedule a fire drill during an examination period.
I thought it would have been rather obvious that I'm not talking about a fire drill. It was the real deal.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

OMG THIS IS SOOO FREAKY!!
today was my bio and ext maths half yearly right, and on my way home from school i was thinking... what wud happen if we had to evacuate for a fire in the middle of an exam??

and now im on this website, reading about it actually happening :haha:

well anywhoo... group misadventure... can mean two things

1) you all will have to redo the exam
2) you will each receive a mark based on ur previous achievements... and NOT have to do the exam :D

but since u got an extra 15 mins... i spose mayb they will look at ur marks first, and if u all did crap then theyll use either options 1 or 2??? idk lol thats weirrrd

i REALLY hope that happens tomorrow for my business exam!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (fingers crossed)

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Group misadventure is pointless within one school. If the BOS upholds a group misadventure appeal (eg the roof blows off the hall) and disadvantage is proved, then every student's mark is increased by the same amount. There is NO POINT increasing every student in an assessment task, as the rank orders and relative differences are maintained and so nothing changes. Like I said, pointless ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)