First Car Aspirations (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I've done a bit of research into the kinds of cars I would want to own one day. I've decided that reliability was a priority as well as it being economical. Although I prefer 4 seats for practicality if it is somewhat cheap I might go for the 2 seater option. I've choosen:

Toyota MR2 SW20 1993-1999
Toyota Celica 1994-1998
Toyota Camry 1997-2001

I'd like a small car, so the MR2 is the one I'd LOVE to own. Problem is that when I do drive it's usually to pick up family or friends so the MR2 can be a problem. Should I just ignore that attribute and keep it as a personal car to drive me and one other person or should I be considerate? Cause I can't decide between saving for something I TRUELY want or compromising for a bit more practicality. I mean it's a small car so even if it was NA the performance would be just right for me. That and it's very low to the ground mean it'll feel really fast to me. I'm just slightly nervous about the 'snap oversteer' and 'wet grip' problems that some reviews have noted about it.

The Celica is the compromise. It looks good, but I don't think it has enough power, I haven't tried it yet but from the specs it seems slow. I've read reviews on both the MR2 and Celica and the MR2 reviewer were ecstatic about them whereas the Celica owners were just happy with them for okay performance and economy. It has rear seats that are apparently uncomfortable for adults.

The Camry, the car my family share, it's V6 performance is really good, and enough for me. It can do just about everything I want it to. I know it's economy, I know how to drive it, I know it like a friend and I trust it. But it's a family car, and I doubt I'll have a family for quite a while, or ever have one for that matter. If I get a Camry it'll probably stay with me until it gets written off. I doubt I'll buy another car unless I could afford one or required one.

I don't make enough money to save, because I really don't have the desire to look for more work or money because I don't need it. But I want my first car to be a goal and I need to know how much I need to save. Which car would you suggest is best? Please don't mention the Corolla. They may be the most reliable but they have neither the power, the looks or the appeal of the cars I've choosen no matter the model. I can't afford the newest model so that crosses it off my list.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If the camry has enough performance for you then the celica should be more than adequate and the pay-off for its more tepid characteristics is that it will be an easier car to drive just nice controllable understeer no 'snap oversteer'....

I do question the toyota focus though, so given that the celica seems the best out of the range here are some rough equivalents from the other jap manufacturers:

Mitsubishi FTO
Honda Integra (or maybe prelude)
Nissan Silvia

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yes, I knew someone would bring up the Toyota bias. I choose Toyota because it is in my opinion that of all the car manufacturers Toyota provides the most economical, reliable and cheap choice for cars without much thought. I've considered the Integra, the Civic, but I've heard servicing and parts are expensive. The Nissan Silvia: S13, S14, S15 are relatively cheap to expensive but most are chosen to be thrashed around at the tracks and they are generally longer and skinnier, I'm no sure of their reliability or their economics. This goes with alot of the other cars. I know the Mitsubishi FTO is on par with the Integra but that's about it. I want a Toyota Supra, but I've come to the conclusion that it's size and power are not neccessary. I thought about the Nissan Skyline R32, but it's apparently thirsty. I intend to keep the car stock, maybe a change in rims and a paint job if neccessary. I prefer a car where I don't need to worry about too much. Possibly an everyday drive. So if there IS a car that can match Toyota quality/economy then I'll start looking it up right away.

Does anyone know anything about the Eunos Vox? It's a hatch the size of a Civic with a V6 engine apparently. Is it any good?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think Eunos may be a rebadged mazda??

Well a supra would be as thirsty as a skyline....

What is the budget we're looking at it seems abit all over the place?

To go beyond matching and to exceed toyota quality I suggest Honda. They build very good cars, very solid engines, and are typically advanced for their time eg DOHC on base integra in the 80s, VTECH in the 90s, etc. The interior is also better than toyotas which feel very cheap. Honda parts can be expensive but nothing too bad. Also consider the Rover versions which are basically a rebadged and restyled version of the same cars.

Avoid mitsubishis because of quality problems.

Investigate mazda as well nothing springs to mind though.

Oh and a new paint-job would be very expensive.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
na supra's arent too expensive. you get get a 2jz ge, jza80 for 20 at the utmost

so with careful looking and taking your time, 15k isnt out of the question

what is your budget??

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
hey guys, im looking at getting a commodore VU ute in the next year, i wanna get the S model (in v6), the SS would be awesome but i think too expensive to run as a v8.

what sort of price would i be looking at

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
:shy:

lol one of the guys at my work has one, its awesome, um in a few weeks time this chicks parents are going away for a few days (which = party of course) and so jas is bringing his ute and were going to load the tray up with ice and use it to keep all the drinks cold

lol so aussie

HSC
hahaha that really is aussie

fuck, i want a new car :eek: i'm hell over my civic. anyone want to buy it from me haha

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
well find out :$

i've always wanted to own a car that both has vtec AND was previously owned by a sxc boser.

:uhhuh:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I'm hoping less than $15,000 but will pay up to $18,000.

The reason I want an MR2 is cause it's mid-engined. It's possibly the cheapest mid-engined car around. What's more I heard that someone managed to plonk the Camry V6 engine into it, THAT is a juicy prospect one day when I have money. What's more is that if that is possible it might be possible to plonk the new Aurion/US Camry V6 engine into this little MR2. N/A that's 200 kw, supercharged that's a Carrera slaying 250 kw. What I want to know is if the chasis can even handle that power. I originally wanted a Datsun 240Z but felt that it was getting a bit old. I wouldn't mind owning them both one day, but for an everyday drive that's economical I settled with the Toyotas.

Oh and the Eunos is the 30X, the V6 was sorta slow on the low revs. I want the MR2 cause there aren't many around. There are Integras everywhere in my suburb, my friend just got one recently and it uses PULP and I prefer ULP, also a neighbour's boyfriend has his red Prelude parked just about opposite my house so no Prelude.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
It's possibly the cheapest mid-engined car around.
I think a Fiat X1/9 might be cheaper. Though I think it's not in front of the axle, but on it.

What's more is that if that is possible it might be possible to plonk the new Aurion/US Camry V6 engine into this little MR2. N/A that's 200 kw, supercharged that's a Carrera slaying 250 kw.
Hmmm. That would probably run you upwards of 15k just for the engine. The conversion would involve a comprehensive engine management system installation. That would cost several thousand - otherwise you'll barely get 150-160kw. Not to mention all the one-off pieces, which could add another thousand. Stick with the stock engine. Isn't it a turbo? (Or was that just the GT?) Turn up the boost, intercooler, bigger injectors, bigger exhaust - maybe new internals if you go all the way. And you have yourself a screamer right there.

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be an easy car to work on. Much of the engine would be obscured by body panels. Do you plan on doing work yourself, or at the stealership?

I would also think that that the half-shafts wouldn't be able to take as much power as a conventional rear drive layout, involving proper driveshaft. Though I am sure there are crazies who have extracted unbelievable power from these as well.

One last thing - this is not based on my experience with the MR2, but with cars in general. Usually special models (such as the 8 Series BMW, Mercedes Benz 190 Evolution, etc.) do not follow the general trend set by other models in the same brand (whether it be reliability, build quality, performance, etc). I would assume that the MR2, which is outside the spectrum of regular Toyotas would not necessarily be the same - and as such, not be as reliable. Too far out in left field, if you will. Toyota gains its reliability from conventional platforms and tried designs - the whole rear engine thing was a once-off, and not something they tried again. You may be disappointed, from a reliability perspective, at least.

7th Sign

HSC
seriously DO NOT get a Eunos they are one of the worst cars every one on the mazda forums always has problems with them, their apparently really shit cars. For insurance and parts and also problems.

WTF is with your car choices lol? A camery and a mr2 how the hell did these come into your final 3?????

look at integra type r's maby..maby pushing it but also the new version integras can be picked up for high teens if you lucky? Their pretty good cars, I must add MR2s are alot to fix if you have problems I know a kid with one. Also FTO's are very hard to get parts for and fixing them is also pricey.

gna

HSC
It'd be very hard for him to get a DC2R. Probably 20k minimum for a decent one.

I'd know because i'm in the market for one. Got to love high reving engines :D

7th Sign

HSC
gna said:
It'd be very hard for him to get a DC2R. Probably 20k minimum for a decent one.

I'd know because i'm in the market for one. Got to love high reving engines :D

I know soe one that sold a mint blue DC2R only 56 000k's for $19500

guess you just need to know the right places to buy cars :D

or just wait on car sales for one of the "going overseas style sales"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard a good time to get cheap cars is end of semester when all the int'l uni students are despo to sell whatever assets they have before they go back home... but then int'l uni students tend to buy Corollas (or so the stereotype goes).

Btw from that list (first post) I'd go the Celica- it's a good compromise. But there are other options from companies which are reliable... just stay away from the French, the Korean and some of the older Japanese models (in my experience, Mitsubishi is a shocker- but things could've improved). I know there are exceptions and I'm generalising- but it's just my 2c.

gna

HSC
7th Sign said:
I know soe one that sold a mint blue DC2R only 56 000k's for $19500

guess you just need to know the right places to buy cars :D

or just wait on car sales for one of the "going overseas style sales"
they had blue dc2r's.....?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)