First post in our brand spankin' new sub-forum : ) (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
has anyone been playing with the form? ie, are you all just writing essays, or are you doing some other form of critique? I went through a phase of wanting to experiment because doing an essay seemed boring, but I think ultimately (for me at least) it's better to let sleeping dogs lie

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
this new sub-forum thing is great!!

To answer ur question glycerine...at the start I was mucking around with the form. Like wanting to do sub-headings and break up the essay, I also thought of doing it as though i was talking to the author about his work (its similar to one in the showcase)..i had a few other ideas as well. But they all died out, and a few of the teachers i had spoken to said to stick to what i know best and can do best.

so, like u, i'm letting sleeping dogs lie! lol

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Horrah! SUB FORUM!! :)

When it comes to forum, right now im writing an essay under CLEAR headings, like different texts, and different aspects of the text... i really am liking them, but yeah... if they get too much, i can essay it all!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I think both (headings or no headings) are effective. I think u gotta be kind of witty with headings. Your headings are great Will. I remember reading someone's from this board, "All That Glisters is not 'doh" comparison between Shakespeare and Simpsons. It was great and the person broke each idea into an epdisode of the simpsons and the heading was the name of the episode and a shakespeare's play.

I hope that makes sense. lol

I want to split mine up into headings, but i don't know what to have.

prof

HSC
i dont think i really understand the concept behind the critical response. for example...
would i be able to write about say a sort of modern sub-culture, and analyse its origins, reasons for its existence, its perception in the media etc etc etc....

i'm just unsure because i've been hearing a lot of stuff only really concerning what people study or may have studied in english through school. is that how its supposed to be?

(i'm in yr 11 so please excuse my ignorance) ;)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
well, my topic is "Representations of Adolescent Gender and Sexuality in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer", which developed from my original concept of examining aspects of morality in BtVS (which I eventually changed because I realised it was much too broad).

With the critical response, you can really write about anything that you have a sophisticated understanding - but you must be able to tie it back to the Prelim or HSC Advanced/Ext1 course somehow. This is actually quite easy - the way I did it was discussing my study of Frankenstein in the Prelim extension course, and how I became intrigued with the ambigious notions of morality it contained, especially as I used Buffy as a related text for my Frankenstein MRP.

Does this help? It's more showing by example rather than saying "this is the universal answer, yo". Sorry. : )

prof

HSC
haha thanks erin yeah it did help. cheers ;)

so where you said
"the way I did it was discussing my study of Frankenstein in the Prelim extension course, and how I became intrigued with the ambigious notions of morality it contained"
was that in your journal or refllection statement?...or do you actually have to tie it in somehow in the actual response

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Um I'll dig up my proposal.
haha you're adit! I thought so but wasn't entirely sure so didn't bother with the whole "hey, do I know you?" :p

I linked it in the proposal (which you have to do), but you have to be able to discuss it further in the reflection statement.
but yeh this is how I did it:

"The inspiration for the source of this project stems from our extensive study of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in the Preliminary Extension course. Whilst researching a variety of responses to and interpretations of this text, I found my interest lay consistently in one particular aspect - the moral dilemmas which it presents in regard to the representation of the creature as intrinsically evil, and not as a result of his experiences in the world. It also raises ethical questions in relation to the use and abuse of power, a theme which is often explored in Buffy. The text Frankenstein embodies the ambiguities which are present in the nature of good versus evil. The inter-textual literary allusions, coupled with its contemporary social comments, make Buffy an excellent medium in which to examine the nature of morality and the uncertainties it presents to modern audiences. Essentially, the didactic function once served through the oral narration of the novel in Frankenstein's original context has been usurped by the visual medium of television. This is best exemplified through the messages that Buffy communicates about the human condition."

prof

HSC
ahh i see....well thinking about it, i could definitely tie in the topic i'm considering to "Identity".
and just an observation, bos shits on our school's board

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Haha, this is our grade message board, which receives, on average, two posts a day. It sucks. :rolleyes:

aud

HSC
Yay for subforums~!!

I have no structure or style at the moment... I wanted to seperate it into three sections with my old idea, but this one is more... random thoughts in squished paragraphs under subheadings loosely related to the paragraph, but usually just the title of the episode I was focussing on at that point :D

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Are you guys attempting to be witty with your titles, like putting nice spins on them?
I'm still pondering on whether I can use the word cleavage in my title and still be taken seriously...

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
I'd like to see your witty title then, please, enlighten me
I'm working on it...I make a point of avoiding giving my work titles if I can. That's the hardest part, the title. And that's a trick I haven't learned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)