First thoughts of uni (1 Viewer)

1harkina

HSC
just a thread for people new to uni 2008 and your first impressions even though im sure that these will change.

The uni in general: So many people go there its pretty cool, the food court has a bit of variation and isnt too expensive, most people seem really friendly.

My units: Seems so intense the course with hist109 we only have course notes, is there a textbook with all the info or is it the notes we take in lectures that will be specific enough, french226 its wierd having a different teacher because I had the same teacher all thru high school for french also the class had more than 30 people in it. Spanish - havent decided if i like it yet, educ - same

Transport- the 611 from winston hill - blacktown to uni is so freaking crowded that after my stop he has to tell the people at the rest of the stops that he is 2 full to take them also the westbus offical posted at one of the stops has seen this so hopefully they will organise another bus at a similar time 8am.

so yeah its all a bit overwhelming but its all new and exciting!!!

zaqwerty

HSC
It's so easy to find the buildings you are supposed to be in, no confusion there. I am enjoying my units so far (PSY104, STAT170, PHIL137 & CUL100), particularly CUL100. Being forced into doing STAT170, even though I know that it's a requirement, kind of annoys me but I guess it's benefits will be felt in the long run. Public transport has been kind to me so far and it's not as bad as I imagined. Having to go from being 5 mins away from school to spending 1.5 hours there and back to uni was a bit daunting but it has been more than bearable. Now I just want to actually start some tutorials/pracs so that I can meet a few people!

williamc

HSC
The uni in general: Good, but you spend so much money compared to high school. The bar is pretty kooool, libary is a good place to get work done. shit when it rains like today, walking for building to building there is no cover.

My units: ECON 110 is like torture if you did econ at high school, consquently i havn't been to 2 of the 3 lectures. ACST 101 is pretty easy so far. STAT 170 is slit wrists boring. Have ACCG 100 tomoorow. Overall, my units so far are very easy but i assume it will get harder. I don't really jump in excitemend at the though of attending a lecture for my units, but besides stat 170 it is way better than high school.

Transport: yer catch the 611. pretty packed and the bus is usually shit. but other than that it aint bad yo.

Pretty much as i expected.

miss-smexy

HSC
What times are the 611 bus packed?

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
miss-smexy said:
What times is the 611 bus packed?
8-9ish and pretty much all arvo times, but the 3:30odd one is the the worst with the school kids (for getting home)

atinaa:-)89

HSC
Pretty good so far, not really any intense lectures yet because the lecturers are mainly going through admin stuff for the course. Finding all of my subjects except STAT170 pretty interesting. Really enjoying PSY104, PHIL137 and AHST103. It was confusing finding everything first day but its all good now.

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
so far so good :)

uni: its fun, plenty of ppl around, love meeting new ppl everyday lol Though its pretty big, and parkinh is terrible.. mondays. i start at lunch and dont bother parking at uni lol so go to the centre and walk to class, its much faster XD

Subjects seem pretty interesting so far, ISYS123 looks easy, 1st assignment took me about an hour to get through most of it.. COMP115 looks interesting, and i believe it will get harder.

ITL102 is pretty cool, and im about to go to my last subject soon whic is MKTG101 ( hope its no boring.. lol )

Anyways, i drive to school, and its ok, i start at 10, so no traffic in the morning and arvos are ok. Worst is the parking though... but theres ways around that too XD

yehriteo

drop out
HSC
In a year of full time study driving to uni I've never had a problem finding parking. Quirky

1harkina

HSC
williamc said:
8-9ish and pretty much all arvo times, but the 3:30odd one is the the worst with the school kids (for getting home)
yeah i catch the 8am bus and im the last stop they let people on then he stops at the other stops and says ive got 2 many people ill have to call another bus

i wonder why there is no bus lane from winston hills m2 to baulko they should really have one coz there is more buses coming that direstion now it would take 15 mins off the morning run

i think that the roads would not be as congested if our area had better public transport.

i was so excited on thurs a kid got off to go to model farms and i got a seat SCORE!!!!

williamc

HSC
1harkina said:
yeah i catch the 8am bus and im the last stop they let people on then he stops at the other stops and says ive got 2 many people ill have to call another bus

i wonder why there is no bus lane from winston hills m2 to baulko they should really have one coz there is more buses coming that direstion now it would take 15 mins off the morning run

i think that the roads would not be as congested if our area had better public transport.

i was so excited on thurs a kid got off to go to model farms and i got a seat SCORE!!!!
i only have a 9am start on thursday (to catch 8am bus), so i usually catch the later 611's, and i have always got a seat in the morning.

I only have to experience like 1km of no bus lane, but on busy mornings i know how you feel.

As for the poor public transport blame the Iemma government..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'd blame Carr more than Iemma rofl

HSC
umm since the other thread in which i posted this question seems to be focused on some "fight", i'll ask here :D :

who stayed back for the lunch after the law welcome thing? i listened to the speeches etc, but didnt stay back for the food because the weather was too cold for my liking...
how was it and what exactly did u do?

X

xeuyrawp

Kim Corgan-Molko said:
One thing I've learned since starting uni: I really need to get my eyes re-examined because my glasses are totally not strong enough to read the projections anymore :( Bugger.
Yeah, study has screwed up my eyes.:)

antisheep

HSC
I didn't stay back for the food either... but it was interesting to hear from the MULS group and i really like the dean of students... he's my marketing lecturer and amuses me... I did kind of decide after the talks though that I really don't want to go to Law Camp... i probably would, but it's my birthday that Saturday, and I'm not a huge drinker so yeah... rather spend it with the family =)

The LAW114 lecture i found really interesting but I must admit a few of the concepts flew over my head so I'm going over the readings carefully and have downloaded the ilecture to hopefully get it down before my tute on tuesday.

I'm really enjoying uni but after the bludginess of my degree last year it's a bit of a culture shock... and so far all my uni friends are history students... random! Also I've had no problem finding carparks but that's probably because I start at 10 everyday thanks to math123.

overall i think i made the right choice moving unis... mac is awesome =)

X

xeuyrawp

Good to hear that you're enjoying it.

History students are awesome.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I think the uni is pretty good.

The good:

The gym is EXCELLENT - I think this is the best gym deal I've ever seen. Pools, Gymasium , Courts etc... for just $150/5 Months? I'l be there 3 times a week minimum.

Library seems pretty decent, atleast for the courses I am doing.

COMP115, ISYS123, STAT170 - Extremely easy units, so far.

The bad:

MATH135 = Extreme maths??? Its moving at an astounding speed :eek: If anyone is doing that, how are you's coping?

Public transport is pathetic. There is a crowd for the ~ 9AM bus to MQ uni from the epping station. Everybody tries to cram into the bus at the same time, its a joke. They actually started rejecting uni students once during the week in favor of regulars going to MQ Park Business District or something like that. I am driving from now on, stuff it... at least until CityRail Express Intercity trains run every 5 minutes and buses run every 30 seconds.

Someone stole my umbrella in the library. :mad: :mad:

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Not really first thoughts of uni, but my thoughts of first week of uni. Most of the oldies have graduated, and the young 'uns make me feel old. Theres no more SAM card, and theyre doing more crap to the court yard just so they can relay the cement.

Dont think food prices have changed which is good. Rain makes people smelly, deodorant is recommended but not compulsory. Oh and parking seems worst than last year. Hopefully eases up after a couple of weeks when people stop turning up to classes.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It'll forever be known as teh SAM BAR to me :(

And yeah I feel old, graduating but still doing honours does that I guess.

HSC
N/A
antisheep said:
i really like the dean of students... he's my marketing lecturer and amuses me... I
Julian DeMerrick really is awesome, I had him for marketing too. He's got some great jokes!!

russs said:
Someone stole my umbrella in the library.
Never, ever, ever leave your umbrella unattended in the library. There are umbrella ninjas on campus...!!! (nasty people, but true)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)