First Year Law Students (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
hey fellow law students

i am quite curious about usyd law and i was just wandering if someone could answer my questions:

how do they teach the course? lectures, seminars, tutorials

how many hours are required you go to uni?

how many law subjects do you do in the first year?

do you have open book exams?

are your assignments weighted alot?

is there easy interaction between lecturer/tutor and student?

do you get lecture notes/seminar guides with detailed information?

that's all thanks :)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
We had a 1 hour lecture on Monday morning, then 2 separate 2 hour seminars during the week.

Haven't counted how many hours.

Three law subjects: Foundations of Law, Torts and Legal Research.

We don't have an exam for Foundations of Law.

Assignments are weighted a lot:10% Participation, 10% Facilitation 10% Drug Court Assignment, 30% Case Assignment, 40% Essay (due Friday.Fuck.)

We get some good "guest" lecturers (i.e. Phil Ruddock:)) and the tutor/class interaction was pretty good but i think it depends on the tutor and the people in the class.

We don't get lecture notes or tutorial notes, except for a few.

Overall, it's fine, except when you have the 2500-3000 word Essay due on Friday and you have only done 1000 words of absolute shit.

Lainee

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
how many hours are required you go to uni?
This depends on what you're combining law with as well. For Commerce/Law I have around 17 hours a week, a very low number of contact hours when you think about it.

is there easy interaction between lecturer/tutor and student?
I agree with Komit - very much depends on your tutor and your class. But then again if you really don't like the tutor/class you're assigned to - just change to another class. It's a pretty easy process.

do you get lecture notes/seminar guides with detailed information?
For Foundations of Law: There are no 'lecture notes' because we have guest lecturers who talk on a topic you'll be covering in class during the week. The content of the lectures are more for interest's sake (entertaining) and just adds to what you'll be reading in seminars.

The Unit of Study Outline lists a class-by-class guide on what you have to read prior to each class and questions that will be up for discussion based on the reading material. Very comprehensive structure.

The reading material will be where you'll get all your information from for the course. It comes in the form of a textbook (which is used in the first few weeks for a basic intro) and two thick booklets full of articles and extracts.

I'm wondering if I could attach a copy of the UoS outline for you... is it like... copyright restricted or anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)