First Year Mathematics B (Integration, Series, Discrete Maths & Modelling) (4 Viewers)

leehuan

HSC
Re: MATH1231/1241/1251 SOS Thread

Wait. I get Aalpha must be an nxn matrix, but must it be a 2x2 matrix? Cause if not then I have no clue how to approach this.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

Wait. I get Aalpha must be an nxn matrix, but must it be a 2x2 matrix? Cause if not then I have no clue how to approach this.
normally pure rotation matrixces are limited to 2x2, for 3x3 case u revolve the curve around a certain axis, for higher up essentially the det(A) needs to be 1 and the transpose has to be its inverse

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

how do you write in this text? with all the mathematic symbols?������������������������∷
Using LaTeX. A Short Guide to using LaTeX on this forum may be found here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/14/mathematics-extension-2/234259/short-guide-latex.html . There's a thread for practising it here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/3/non-school/345040/latex-practice.html .

leehuan

HSC

This may be a dumb question but what's the difference between calling it a "power series" to a "Taylor series at x=0" (aka Maclaurin series)

seanieg89

HSC

Short answer: The Taylor series of a function is a specific power series associated to a given function centred at a given point. A power series is a more general concept and need not be related to a function in the same way that a Taylor series is.

Related info that might clarify the concepts further:

Any formal expression of the form:

is said to be a formal power series centred at c. This expression obviously converges at z=c, but need not converge anywhere else. In fact, the root test tells you that this series additionally converges absolutely precisely in the interior of a disk with radius (possibly 0 or inf) that can be computed in terms of the coefficients. Hence such a power series defines a function on some disk iff the coefficients don't increase too fast.

Now let's go the other direction. Say we already have a function, and we would like to obtain a series expression. (This might be useful because truncating the series at a finite number of terms gives you a polynomial. Polynomials are nice, so if we can approximate a function by a polynomial, we often make it easier to prove things about the function.) Suppose our function f is nice enough that we can find a power series (ie find a sequence of coefficients) that actually converges to our function on some small disk centred at say c (we say such functions f are analytic, and this property is quite strong). Then standard facts from analysis say we can differentiate this power series term by term to obtain the derivatives of this function. Doing so and putting z=c, we see that we must in fact have

Ie. if a smooth function is equal to a power series with positive radius of convergence centred at a point, the coefficients must have this precise relationship with the derivatives of f at c.

This motivates us to look at such series (which we call the Taylor series of f) even when f is not analytic. Now in this case, even if the function is smooth (infinitely differentiable) the Taylor series need not converge to the function itself (consider the function f(x)=e^{-1/x} for positive x, f(x)=0 otherwise and try to Taylor expand at 0.) However, if f is k-times differentiable, we can still put asymptotic estimates on the error of the finite Taylor approximations as z->c. This is the content of Taylor's theorem.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Should've just broken the question down into basics more confidently lol but yep makes perfect sense.

So the REF of C has columns 1 and 3 leading. Then for the answer they included the vectors corresponding to column 1 <1 2 -1>, column 3 <2 -4 2>, but also e2. Where did the vector <0 1 0> come from?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Should've just broken the question down into basics more confidently lol but yep makes perfect sense.

So the REF of C has columns 1 and 3 leading. Then for the answer they included the vectors corresponding to column 1 <1 2 -1>, column 3 <2 -4 2>, but also e2. Where did the vector <0 1 0> come from?

Last edited:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

Firstly u want basis for r^3, so u need 3 indep vectors, technically u could make the last vector u need anything u want as long as its independent, but why make it complicated when we can go with the easy option of 0,1,0

leehuan

HSC

My lecturer tried to explain it but I didn't get it at the time. Just wanted to see how any of you would explain it?

Taking R2 for convenience here, what is the difference between saying:

"Graph of y=f(x)"
and
"Level curve of F(x,y)=y-f(x)"

Context: We were talking about the gradient nabla F(x0,y0)

Struggling to visualise the difference between the "level curve" and the "graph", to understand why the gradient vector is perpendicular to the level surface but tangential to the graph.

(Will provide more context if necessary)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

My lecturer tried to explain it but I didn't get it at the time. Just wanted to see how any of you would explain it?

"Graph of y=f(x)"
and

Struggling to visualise the difference between the "level curve" and the "graph", to understand why the gradient vector is perpendicular to the level surface but tangential to the graph.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

"Graph of y=f(x)"
and

The gradient vector isn't tangent to the graph (a level curve of F), it's normal to it.

leehuan

HSC

The gradient vector isn't tangent to the graph (a level curve of F), it's normal to it.
Oh. Right, whoops keep getting my terminology mixed.

Ok so just trying to reunite two different methods:

In both cases, substitution of the given point will result in the same final answer of 4x+2y+z=21 due to the point-normal form. However, why is it depending on which approach I take, the vector produced isn't the same?

(Although I did notice that the second is a scalar multiple of the first)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Oh. Right, whoops keep getting my terminology mixed.

Ok so just trying to reunite two different methods:

In both cases, substitution of the given point will result in the same final answer of 4x+2y+z=21 due to the point-normal form. However, why is it depending on which approach I take, the vector produced isn't the same?

(Although I did notice that the second is a scalar multiple of the first)
With your first method, it's set up so that it always produces the normal vector that has 1 as its third component (because we're writing 1 in the third component from the outset). The second method isn't set up so that it'll guarantee the third component is 1. The two answers are just scalar multiples of each other, so are as good as each other.

leehuan

HSC

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)