First Year S2 Science Elective? (1 Viewer)

fat_penguin

HSC
Hi guys!

With 2009 enrolments on the horizon, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for some do-able first year semester 2 science courses?

I'm in the final year of my commerce/science degree, and I have to find another first year science course to do (as the degree requires 4 courses and I've only done 3 so far). MATH1041 was meant to be the final first year course but they had to go and change it to first semester -_- I don't really have any space for another semester one course so now I have to find an alternative.

I was looking at the science schools and I'm a bit lost - I've only ever done Psychology courses and 1 Math course - so all of schools sound pretty scary. I haven't done things like Chem and Phys since year 10 (and I sucked then, so I'm pretty sure I suck now) and Bio was a long, long time ago....

And I've noticed around BOS that a lot of these science courses have a high failure rate, so that's kinda scary too ><

Does anyone have any recommendations about courses which are do-able for a science noob? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You could try one of the HPSC (history and philosophy of science) courses. In some cases these can be counted as science units - you'd have to check with the rules for your degree.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Bio isn't as daunting as you think man, and if you've done a bit of psych, you might actually find bio interesting.

Otherwise idk, you could see if a social science (as iruka suggested) can be counted as a science unit?

fat_penguin

HSC
Thanks for your speedy replies guys! The handbook says "level 1 courses from Science schools", so I'm assuming that I can't actually do those history of science subjects (which is a bummer.)

I had a look through the courses offered in session two and so far I can only find two offered with no pre/ corequisites: BIOS1101 and PHYS1111. While I did do bio and didn't do physics in high school, I've had a look around the site and it looks like BIOS1101 is quite the killer subject :S

So even though I sucked at physics in high school, I guess PHYS1111 is looking like the way to go? Thank goodness it's an introductory course!

Manipp

HSC
Do environmental earth science? I did that = very easy, fun subject, no previous knowledge required. Especially if you're bad at maths and that. Got distinction almost without study.

fat_penguin

HSC
Manipp said:
Do environmental earth science? I did that = very easy, fun subject, no previous knowledge required. Especially if you're bad at maths and that. Got distinction almost without study.
Awww that sounds like an awesome course to take! Especially the 4 day field trip! They're not offering it next year though unfortunately :(. Is it just me or are a lot of courses being discontinued? Are there new courses being offered in their stead?

On that note - none of the first year GEOS subjects are being offered next year. I guess no one can major in geology any more? =/

Last edited:

EdmondDW

HSC
Bios...it is reallly hard to fail....and really difficult to get HD,,,

piitb

HSC
1st year bio and physio is all about reading. do all your readings and answer all the objectives and practice some questions, and anyone can pass

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think PHYS1111 is a non-calculus based introductory course, so it shouldn't be too difficult, even if you didn't do physics in high school.

HPSC is listed as one of the table A science majors,

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2009/sci/TableA.html

so I still think you might be count it, even though it is offered by the faculty of arts (probably best to check that with a real live human being at uni, though).

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You could also try doing a subject during the summer teaching period. BABS1201 runs through the summer, but I think it may have already started this year.

fat_penguin

HSC
Thanks guys! You've calmed my fears somewhat - reading the BIOS1101 thread was quite scary. It's nice to know I still have options (that I should be able to make it through BIOS without failing) in case PHYS falls through.

Iruka said:
HPSC is listed as one of the table A science majors,

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2009/sci/TableA.html

so I still think you might be count it, even though it is offered by the faculty of arts (probably best to check that with a real live human being at uni, though).
That would be awesome if I am able to do that. Thanks heaps - I'll go ask around once uni starts!

Iruka said:
You could also try doing a subject during the summer teaching period. BABS1201 runs through the summer, but I think it may have already started this year.
Yeah I had a look at these too - but all the science courses (that aren't geneds) run in session A, and enrolment has already closed for that. I probably should've looked at all this earlier. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)