Fishing (1 Viewer)

Wazmatron

HSC
noel edge said:
Both salt and fresh for about 4 years on and off. Although I haven't caught a lot, just a small trout from Thompson Creek Dam near lithgow, a few bass from manly dam and some bream from a few places around Sydney. what about you?
I fish both (prefer fresh), often fish in the Blue Mountains or down the coast when family goes on holidays. Fly fished for two years. I almost caught a decent rainbow trout up a tributary in the Kowmung (no trout caught yet), also target bass down the coast. Whats your best catch to date? Mine was a dusky flathead about 75-80cms in length.

PS have you ever fished NZ?

olchik

HSC
I like fishing a lot, though I'm not very good at it. I can catch just small fishes:(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I love fishing, although I detest spearfishing, and I think the killing of marlin and other such large creatures is somewhat wrong.
My biggest fish was a 54cm sand flathead off Forster a few years ago, which I somehow managed to wind in through 42m of water whilst puking my guts up (damn travacalm didn't work :()

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i love lure casting at pelagics... bonito, frigates, sambos etc

fishing is awesome, i just havent had a chance to do any lately

Jiga

I like fishing, its a pity though that alot of people have a negative perception of it. For me, its just like a day at the beach with more domensions....drinking, swimming and fishing. My biggest fish was a 60cm Morwong, nothing special, but I was prity happy with it. I caught it using my own little revolutionary technqiue, ganged prawn, and the fish broke my reel (Which wasnt some K-Mart one either) so I struggled to get it in.

I detest spearfishing, and I think the killing of marlin and other such large creatures is somewhat wrong.
I agree with both points. Like how hard is it to catch a fish whilst spear fishing....at least play the game on even terms! And as for big fish, I agree, even with your typical species like Flathead, something that has lived for like 40 years or so shouldnt just be killed like that...especially when people already have a full bag of fish. I rememeber one time on my boat out at Botany Bay we caught a HUGE cuttlefish, like 1m long and weighed loads, we could have kept it, would have been good eating/good bait, but it would be slack to keep it because it would have been like 40 years old.

dive246

Schoolies_2004 said:
I agree with both points. Like how hard is it to catch a fish whilst spear fishing....at least play the game on even terms!
hey mate dont knock it till youve tried/understand it. fair enough you dont like spearfishing but 'playing the game on even terms?' ....watching out for sharks, holding your breath underwater for like a minute whilst trying to chase a fish and not blackout and die(which is all too common). trust me the fish have the upper hand and they can sure swim away faster then i can chase them most of the time. i love fishing equally as much as spearfishing but seeing what fish there are and then being able to choose which fish to take means that only decent fish that you want to keep are killed. Mortality rates on caught and released fish is high. i do agree with you though that taking really big fish of a species is wrong. those big mummys are the ones that let us keep catching fish

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
damn i just bought new gear.. for SA... cos all my stuff is currently in NSW.. heheh...
i love it.. its as good as... dare i say it.. alcohol.. and women..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i love it.. its as good as... dare i say it.. alcohol.. and women..
...and now you have all your gear, its a hell of a lot cheaper too!

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I love fishing too, especially at a very peaceful stage of life and state of mind.
It's romantic too.

m.c.moey

Purple's a fruit
HSC
fishing is the best, especially when it gets hectic and everyone is pulling out fish at the same time.. ahh memories.. even better when nobody is pulling out any fish except you, then you feel cool.

My biggest catch was a 45cm whiting, and it was a fluke.
There was a hot girl fishing next to me so i cast my line right over hers, and there was a bit of a current and i let my line go a bit, i felt a huge nibble n thought i was snagged with her so i reeled it anyway to make sure it tangles so i could untangle it later with her, but to my surprise it kept fighting and i ripped out a big mumma.. forgot all about the girl, catching a big fish wins anyday.

m.c.moey

Purple's a fruit
HSC
fishing is cool.. its just peaceful and you feel free and relaxed without a worry.. unless it starts pouring on you..
but fishing in summer on a beach with nothing but blue sky and water infront of you is the best
My yearly holidays always include fishing in them no matter what

HSC
its the best...I do it every holiday...fishing in the river off this footbridge...its very relaxing...only you have to coat yourself in mossie stuff..and then you can just stay all day...I actually caught a fish with my hands once...it was in a little shallow river and I just hung off this weir thing...just grabbed it near the gills and chucked on the bank...but I felt bad for it because it was pretty big so I chucked it back.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
im a fishing lover too!
though i dont know too many good fishing spots,
anybody know some places, with nice fish, and is peaceful?
i hate crowded areas

Last edited:

Jiga

In Sydney metropolitan, with a boat, I recon Hawkesbury is the best overall -> It has prity good fishing and best of all its prity peaceful cos its so big and feels like your in the middle of nowhere (surrounded by km's of bush), you find some small little bay, anchor up, drop a line.... and relax.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
mainly saltwater

ive been to jindabyne and the fishing there is the best, everyone was pulling out these huge rainbows....those two days were the best fishing days in my life.

does anyone know any good wharf around botany bay

G

Gavvvvvin

m.c.moey said:
There was a hot girl fishing next to me so i cast my line right over hers, and there was a bit of a current and i let my line go a bit, i felt a huge nibble n thought i was snagged with her so i reeled it anyway to make sure it tangles so i could untangle it later with her, but to my surprise it kept fighting and i ripped out a big mumma.. forgot all about the girl, catching a big fish wins anyday.
Hahaha, smooth :cool:

I'm in the mood for fishing now. Think I might go for a bit of a camping/fishing trip during the holidays. Anyone know of some good places that arent heaps busy...preferably somewhere with a nice view...I dunno I think half the fun of fishing is being in some remote exotic location :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)