Flute Pieces (1 Viewer)

lollypops

HSC
Hey Everyone, I have my HSC next year. I am going to do four performances on the flute. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what I could play. I am about a grade 6 level. I want unique pieces and I am possibly interested in doing a flute duet or flute and guitar or cello arrangement. So if anybody has any good pieces could they let me know. I was thinking maybe Debussy-Syrinx, Toru Takemitsu-Itinerant and Flight of the bumblebee. So if you have an thoughts on these pieces or other ones could you let me know. Thanx. ;) :uhhuh: :D

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh DONT play that shepherd piece by moquet cos everyone plays it and theyre usually played very baldy and people are sick of hearing it. You could try playing Ross Edwards excstatic dances as a flute duet.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
don't play baroque and blue by cluade bolling, you have no idea how easily it gets stuck in your head and how ANNOYIng it is!!! (it's an ok hsc piece though)

alison_butler86

:eek:

Hey, I've just done my HSC performance and I played 3 flute pieces and 1 vocal...

I played a really nice trio called 'Valse Volante'- its pretty and allows for massive dynamics and and other stuff that the markers are looking for

My other 2 flute pieces were just acc. by a piano:

Hungarian Serenade and Allegretto- fun to play... sound hard but fit nicely under ur fingers and they are also around 6th grade! GOOD LUCK! start practising now! :)

lollypops

HSC
Hi Alison I was just wondering who is the composer of the trio Valse Volante??? Thanx :)

geeb

HSC
hey,
have you heard of Nestor Torres? he plays some amazing flute! there is a book out that has some transcriptions and its very good. he is porta rican so his music has a latin, jazz, pop feel. its lotsa fun to play, i played one of his songs for my HSC this year.
try and find some of his music to listen to, you'll be surprised, its great for the HSC cause it shows of a lot of techniques and has all the contrasty stuff as well.
hope thats helped, let me know if you want more info on him

geeb

HSC
hey crikket, you rock chick goddess!!!!!!
baroque and blue wasnt that bad it just got annoying!! its not that easy to play... it sounded good in the end but my other piece was sooooo much more fun you have to admit to that cause you played in that to!!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
dude, i didn't say your playing sucked, it's a really hard piece (my sister said :D) and you handled it so well!
but yeah, i'm only biased coz i love the rainbow piece :D

geeb

HSC
yeah the rainbow piece was sooooo much better.

hey lollypops, play Over The Rainbow by Nestor Torres, its a latin, jazz, version with a cool samba beat and a really really good solo! the only thing is you will have to cut out about 4min cuz his version goes for over 8min,

lollypops

HSC
Wow I had a look of Nestor Torres Music, it is sooo cool. Thanx heaps for your help!! Let me know of any other cool music. Thanx Heaps :) :) :) :) :) :)

Eslyssa

HSC
Mmm... I'd be wary of doing Flight of the Bumblebee. It's a bit like the Moonlight Sonata of the Flute World. The examiners will know the piece extremely well, will have probably heard James Galway playing it at triple the speed (if you haven't heard that recording, get it! It is awesome!), and may simply be sick of it.

Personally I love the piece, and if it was a performance, it'd be fine, I think, but to be marked on? Mmm... It's up to you, but it's dangerous ground.

Eslyssa

HSC
I'm doing 3 units of performance, so...

Borne's Carmen Fantasy
Dopler's Hungarian Pastoral Fantasy
Fukushima's Mei
Mozart's Flute Quartet in Dm
Bieniek's Questing the Manx Clasti
Goddard's Waltz

Do people know any of them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)