foot and mouth (1 Viewer)

ryanox

HSC
all this foot and mouth disease and stuff, can someone plz give me a brief run down on the main points surrounding this as we need it from the syallbus....thanks in advance

Dr_Doom

HSC
I don't think it's in the syllabus but here you go :)

The highly contagious nature of the disease

Foot and mouth disease (FMD) is a highly contagious viral disease that affects pigs, cattle, sheep, goats and deer. FMD does not affect humans, horses, or companion animals such as dogs and cats. It is spread rapidly by contact with infected animals, transmission on clothing and vehicles, and through the air. The virus multiplies to such an extent in infected animals that their expired air is virtually a cloud of virus.

The following have the potential to carry foot and mouth disease into Australia from any infected country:

* uncooked or semi-cooked meats;
* dairy products;
* hides and skins.

Strict quarantine measures are in place in Australia to prevent entry of the disease.

Feeding food refuse (swill) to pigs is thought to have played a big part in how the FMD epidemic started in the United Kingdom in 2001. New South Wales (and all other Australian states and territories) have strict laws that prohibit the feeding of food scraps or refuse to animals. To help avert the establishment of FMD and other diseases in Australia, we urge everyone to prevent pigs (including wild pigs) from gaining access to food scraps.

Early diagnosis and slaughter are needed to minimise the number and persistence of viruses, dramatically reducing the chances of spread. Vaccination has been used successfully to control FMD in many parts of the world where the disease occurs. However, vaccinated animals are not totally resistant and can still become infected with FMD and shed the virus.

Foot and mouth disease is NOT present in Australia.

ryanox

HSC
yh we did sumthin on it in class but i musta bin away so i just assumed it was in the syllabus...but thanks all the same, it wuld prob cum in handy in general terms neway

Master Gopher

HSC
There's this dot point:
"Analyse information from secondary sources to describe one name infectious disease in terms of its cause, transmission, host response, major symptoms, treatment, preventions and control"

You could use it for that, but I think malaria is an excellent one to use.

and this one:
"Discuss the role of quarantine in preventing the spread of disease of plants and animals into Australia or across regions of Australia"

for which you need to discuss quarantine procedures in general, but FMD is a good example to use because we dont have it, which can be attributed to a combination of our geographic isolation, and having good quarantine measures.

And in a very similar one you are supposed to evaluate the effectiveness of quarantine in Australia, for which you can mention that quarantine has kept us largely free of BSE and foot-and-mouth.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)