• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

for all those.. usyd or unsw is the best (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

lol exactly what i keep saying!

UAI = popularity is doesnt = a good course necessarily

i mean...take law, just my opinion, but from talking to friends at usyd n unsw, uws course has a clearer structure and the lecturers sound friendlier and i dunno..they just all seem way way more stressed than all us at uws and its not like its for a reason

or teaching's another one. My mum's a teacher and she's always complaining bout her prac students coz certain uni's, they dont know how to apply their knowledge even tho they come from the so called 'better/higher UAI" entry unis...

its all just so silly:) just coz it was harder to get into a course doesnt mean it will ultimateluy be better and you'll fail in life if you got to an easier entry course

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i cant agree anymore with this article, there are factors other than prestige, like proximity of distance, closer to friends etc.

i got tonnes of friends who intially went to usyd got top UAI, and went there, but found out travelling scorching distance paid off, nothing was learnt.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
haha... that article rocks.
"how one performed at university was more important than the university itself"..... spot on.

L

LaraB

theone123 said:
i cant agree anymore with this article, there are factors other than prestige, like proximity of distance, closer to friends etc.

i got tonnes of friends who intially went to usyd got top UAI, and went there, but found out travelling scorching distance paid off, nothing was learnt.
same - i have a friend at Sydney doing B Science and she has a 5 day week, and her 'short day" not including travel is 10-4..poor girl! She said the distance sucks coz it means an enormous amopunt of time spent at uini each week and also means she cant really work...

although she said she'd have the same problem if she'd done the course she had as first preferecne which was B food science/health science one of those..at UWS coz it would have been at Hawkesbury and she picked Sydney thinking there'd be less hours since its just one campus, train n bus there buts he said its the same for both

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
its funny i found this.. cause if u look at hte date.. 02.. i found it in a box of a bag of my stuff from when i moved house..

but i cant agree with it more.. it seemed so 'coincidence' that i found it.. i dont know if many of u understand much about 'coincidence' and how nothign is coincidence.. but anyways good article

theone123

blue essence
HSC
LaraB said:
same - i have a friend at Sydney doing B Science and she has a 5 day week, and her 'short day" not including travel is 10-4..poor girl! She said the distance sucks coz it means an enormous amopunt of time spent at uini each week and also means she cant really work...

although she said she'd have the same problem if she'd done the course she had as first preferecne which was B food science/health science one of those..at UWS coz it would have been at Hawkesbury and she picked Sydney thinking there'd be less hours since its just one campus, train n bus there buts he said its the same for both
yeh my friend had 4 hours travel time, nothing was learnt in that year of torture for him, but after coming here, got like HDS , D's...

candy2000

HSC
I think that a lot of people also tend to forget that UAI reflects both supply and demand, not just demand eg. UAIs dropped for many courses in 2005, this in most cases probably was more due to increase in supply rather than decrease in demand.

I think the main point is to choose the course that is best suited to your interests and career aspirations, not your UAI. However, this is not saying that a course's reputation in the field shouldn't be taken into account, as obviously a course which is regarded more highly by employers will give you an edge when looking for a job. Just remember that reputation is also not always indicated by UAI, and that it isi important to take other considerations into account as well.

santaslayer

HSC
A lot of BoS members have attemtped to explain the point addressed in the link already. It had to take an article from the paper to legitimise such claims.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
It's just an article, a relatively good one with a fair amount of points, but merely a newspaper article.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
like stated.. pure coincidence that it just happend to be something that had been cut out and saved and traveled through boxes and bags from one home to another.. and finaly to be unpacked and read by me.. and posted on teh internet due to its relevance

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
HerO said:
Well dunno about u guys but I aint 1 bit surprised the journalist Amy Lawson haven't made it big and needless 2 say it's absolutely no surprise either...:cool:
Well dunno about u guys but I aint 1 bit surprised that hero hasn't grown up yet and still posting lame posts and needless 2 say it's absolutely no surprise either...:cool:

Cab31

HSC
That's a great article!! I dont go to UWS, but i would have if they hadnt have cancelled the course i wanted to do :(. Anyway, i never had a problem with going there, and i think that people need to get rid of this stigma against the uni. Quite frankly its an insult to people that go there, and have earnt a spot through merit to be there. As the aritcle points out, UNSW and Sydney uni are not necesarily the best uni's to go to for every course. I am sure there are plenty of problems associated with those uni's, but these seem to be ignored in a bid to put UWS down. This article should make people consider things like whether or not the uni will be easy to access and structure of the course they want to do. I know that at UWS (when i visited there) the parking seemed to be a lot better than Usyd etc.
Basically people need top start considerring other factors for choosing their course other than the so called prestige of the uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)