For law in Hong Kong, UNSW or USyd? (1 Viewer)

lawipthelp

HSC
I have an offer from both unis for combined law. I'll be doing Law/Accounting in whichever one I choose.

UNSW pros:
More Hong Kong kids/more networking opportunities?
Easier to get higher grades (from what I've heard)?

USyd pros:
Less HK kids so less competition?
Chinese Lawyers Society seems like a pretty good HK-focussed organization that UNSW doesn't have.

Primary goal is to get into a city law firm in Hong Kong. Secondary goal is to get into a city law firm in Australia (but from what I've heard, competition is fiercer in Australia for law clerkships).

I'll also try for the Big 4 in HK and Australia, as well as other firms in both countries.

Thoughts?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
From what I heard both unis are viewed the same in HK.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
As a person who was born and raised in Hong Kong - I agree with the above. Hong Kong-ers don't care about minute differences between universities. As long as you come from a highly ranked university (in the world, not in your country), they'll be willing to give you their attention.

But, er, the rumor about competition being less fierce in Hong Kong? Er, I think that's a giant lie. People from both mainland China AND Hong Kong fight for job positions in Hong Kong, so you're going to have a rough time finding a job here. It's a bit easier if you know Mandarin, Cantonese, AND English. It's even easier if you're a Hong Kong permanent resident. All of that + job experience + really good grades will push you through.

Otherwise, well, it's a tough world out there, haha. (Also, you'd be surprised by how many Hong Kong-ers would rather work in Australia. Higher salaries, better quality of life, less pollution, etc.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)