for people without tutoring (3 Viewers)

cs01001

HSC
"not neccesarily because you are struggling with the subject, but rather that your classes are either full of idiots, or have teachers who can't teach?" Spot on S1MO :)

cs01001

HSC
Hey, its just a different of opinions, don't get all worked up Jachie :p

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Er, k. How am I worked up.....?

cs01001

HSC
Don't worry, sorry Jachie if I piseed you off :(

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
lol. Seriously, I'm not pissed off at all. I don't take things personally or to heart here, cause that's just silly. It's just a discussion about tutoring, fer cryin out loud. that's the only reason why I was confused by your initial post, and am still kinda confused now.

HSC
N/A
Danger said:
how do you study, how long do you spend on each subject and what are the results you're getting?
Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.
Tutoring doesn't mean that you'll be guaranteed to get better marks than those who go without it; that was unnecessary, perhaps.

I'm not saying anything about my study, or lack thereof - or lackthereof that.
and do you know anyway who went well in their hsc w/o tutoring?
Yeh... I even know of a person who got a UAI of 100 who did not do tutoring at all, in any point of their (it's wrong to use 'their', but whatever; it's preferred for one to use 'his or her', but in this instance, I shall abstain from doing so).

Spurious relationship. 'Nuff.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Jachie said:
That you need to pay hundreds of dollars for tutoring in order to perfect any flaws you may have is bullshit, I'm sorry.
Very true, but bear in mind that a flaw such as a tendancy to constantly make numerous silly mistakes in maths tests is one that is quite significant. For example, silly mistakes is what brings my marks down from 100% to 70%. Which is very, very bad.

But yeah, i see your point. No value for money for what you get.

cs01001 said:
"not neccesarily because you are struggling with the subject, but rather that your classes are either full of idiots, or have teachers who can't teach?" Spot on S1MO :)
uhh...thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
I have never had a tutor, and i suck at maths! I was thinking about dropping maths or getting a tutor but i know if i worked a lot harder at it then i am currently my hsc will possibly go ok, in that subject.

When i think about it maths is my only weak subject and i chose it because im simply going to need it in the future that's why i did general i know the basics its just applying the knowledge in exam situations is where i suck and i go blank and stuff up and leave things out because i just dont remember because the context of the question is a lot different to the text book which we are use to. If they gave us text books that had the same deep context questions as in exams i would be fine..but thats just the stupid school who decided to use the "Insight General Mathematics" version where half the answers for algebra in the back were wrong..and that is a dead set topic i dont understand!

So in relation to tutoring i dont think everyone needs one..unless u need some motivation for subjects your just dead set failing! When i think about it they are only going to count 10 of your best units for your uai.. so if your doing really crap in one subject and your results end up being not that great for your hsc and the rest of your subjects are great well then there shouldn't be anything to worry about..motivate yourself into doing a lot more homework and revision on your weak subjects and get there. I have not had my prelim exams yet because my school has them in term 3 for some unknown reason but with assignments and such i know where i need to improve more..and that is legal and maths! They are probably both my weaknesses, well i have only had those two exams this term and that's where i didn't do so great. If you do legal you would know that the information can be very hard to put down on paper, but i am easily capable of doing a legal assignment!

jaaaaay

HSC
slowjam10 said:
My Half Yearly results and rankings are as follows:

Legal Studies - 100% - 1st
Advanced English - 98% - 1st
Ancient History - 98% - 2nd
Food Technology - 96% - 1st (tied)
Studies of Religion 2 - 96% - 1st (tied)
Modern History - 88% 1st
Ext English - 80% - 2nd
someone has a big e-penis...

lmao... kidding. well done xD

i think tutoring is for people who have really bad school teachers who don't guide them properly... because for subjects such as 4u maths... it's very hard to learn by yourself, no matter how motivated or hardworking you are...

but i'd say, no matter what subject you do... just practice heaps... tutor or no tutor... you'll improve x]

Danger

HSC
id really like to know if it is possible to learn 4u by urself

Kujah

HSC
N/A
jaaaaay said:
i think tutoring is for people who have really bad school teachers who don't guide them properly... because for subjects such as 4u maths... it's very hard to learn by yourself, no matter how motivated or hardworking you are...
I agree with you. My cousin said she never learnt anything off her 4U teacher, and had to rely predominantly on her tutor.

id really like to know if it is possible to learn 4u by urself
I guess you can, but it;ll be really hard for you to understand and apply the concepts without any guidance.

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
magpam said:
true.

what career are you going for?

your doing VET business services lol thats a cool subject!
business services..a cool subject? lol!!
was that sarcasm! LOL
Cause i find that, you have to be completely utterly dumb to fail at that subject its just all common sense and yeah! It's alrite, but i get a certificate from it so yeah it will help.

career?
this is a long list of courses i have in mind
Bachelor of business studies/business law
Bach of business management
bach of business

Event management or hospitality management are areas as well
Possibly somewhere that i dont have to rely on other people
because i really don't enjoy it, why wonder i hate group assignment

cccclaire

HSC
~aussiegirl!~ said:
business services..a cool subject? lol!!
was that sarcasm! LOL
Cause i find that, you have to be completely utterly dumb to fail at that subject its just all common sense and yeah! It's alrite, but i get a certificate from it so yeah it will help.
my friend did business services for a bit and she said it was basically secretary school.
then we convinced her to drop it and pick up economics.

wynnedoze

HSC
Yeah Jachie, I agree with you.

I think that if you want to do well and study then you will. I also believe that perhaps a tutor may put you in the right direction, but that asking your teacher for help briefly and then following the help up with a bit of study by yourself is much better.

I think that self study sets you up better for things out of school.

I see it at Hornsby Girls' when i teach people to run the backstage stuff, and i am sure its NOT JUST tutoring, but every single person with tutoring has happened to be a LOT slower to learn it. However they don't always do better in classwork either. I think that there is no substitute for attitude and natural ability.
However if you want to work at tutoring, then i'm sure you can get a lot out of it as well.

I think that if you want to learn something fast, do tutoring, if you want to work out how to learn something for yourself, study something that you want to.

WTF, i just realised I tutor others, i completely forgot my job. But i teach music, bit of a difference. Oh well, there goes that argument....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)